March 11th, 2010

Prom canceled over lesbian student

Constance McMillen

A Mississippi High School faces a lawsuit over its decision to cancel its prom rather than allow a lesbian high school student attend with her girlfriend.

The lawsuit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, alleges that officials at Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton, Mississippi, are violating the student's First Amendment right to freedom of expression.

The ACLU asked the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi to reinstate the prom.

"All I wanted was the same chance to enjoy my prom night like any other student. But my school would rather hurt all the students than treat everyone fairly," said the student, 18-year-old Constance McMillen, in an ACLU news release. "This isn't just about me and my rights anymore – now I'm fighting for the right of all the students at my school to have our prom."

Officials at the Itawamba County School District were not immediately available for comment.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Gay and lesbian • U.S.
  1. mn

shes fat too

May 5, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Ithoughtwewerebeyondthis

I cannot believe in this day and age this is even an issue. How about concerning yourself's with world hunger, poverty, child abuse, the killing of our planet and hate against each other. We are all only human, make mistakes and we need to have more compassion towards each other and not how we can screw over everyone. Death is our ultimate and accepting and caring need to be part our lives goals....Let's stop the tormenting and start rebuilding of the world.

June 22, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. sunflower

of course another decision of the stupid good 'ole' south.

June 29, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. John

This is why it is not permitted in Northern States for brother and sister to marry. All you have to do to see the reason for this law is look at the idiots who live in the Southern States and their way of looking at life. Backwards, ignorant, and toothless don't done make no human there, do it?

June 30, 2010 at 4:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • Jodie

I am not (yet) toothless, I hold a master's degree, I am socially motivated. I am also a Mississippian! I am from Dixie! Got any Confederate money? Save it, in time it'll be better than the worthless trash spewed forth from U. S. presses. The South's gonna rise again! By the way, also member of NRA and hold a CCW license. One more thing: I will be in MS Wed. thru Tues. I sure hope I don't run into you, Dear John.

April 15, 2013 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  5. MuffCabbage

Thisis a disgrace! Just because she is a Lesbian & intends to attend the prom function with a date they cancel the entire prom.

All Lesbians should be outraged.

Does anyone know what part of Lesbia she is from? Is she a legal Lebian immigrant?

November 24, 2010 at 11:10 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. LAINE

IN RESPONSE TO YOUR COMMENTS MADE IN REGARDS TO THE ROMMEY SPEECH THAT INCLUDED IS THOUGHTS ABOUT DANGER IN DIVIDING THE COUNTRY, I HAVE AN IDEA. STOP THE ELECTION CAMPAIGN'S OUTRAGOUS SPENDING. WITH ALL OF THE OUTLETS AVAILABLE FOR ADVERTISING SUCH AS LOCAL MEDIA, SKYPING, INTERNET SITES, LOCAL EVENTS, THE CANDIDATES HAVE JUST AS MUCH A CHANCE TO PROMOTE THEMSELVES THEN TRAVELING ALL OVER, SPENDING MILLIONS ON ELECTION EVENTS AND QUITE FRANKLY, EVERYTHING I HEAR AND SEE CAN BE DONE IN THE FORE MENTIONED WAYS. WHY ARE WE ALLOWING ALL THIS SPENDING TO OCCUR. PLEASE DON;T SAY " YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON WHO IS ELECTED AS PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES". WHY ARE WE PUTTING A PRICE ON THIS WHEN IT IS NOT NECESSARY. LET'S USE THE MONEY IN BETTER WAYS.

January 20, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply