March 11th, 2010

Prom canceled over lesbian student

Constance McMillen

A Mississippi High School faces a lawsuit over its decision to cancel its prom rather than allow a lesbian high school student attend with her girlfriend.

The lawsuit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, alleges that officials at Itawamba Agricultural High School in Fulton, Mississippi, are violating the student's First Amendment right to freedom of expression.

The ACLU asked the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi to reinstate the prom.

"All I wanted was the same chance to enjoy my prom night like any other student. But my school would rather hurt all the students than treat everyone fairly," said the student, 18-year-old Constance McMillen, in an ACLU news release. "This isn't just about me and my rights anymore – now I'm fighting for the right of all the students at my school to have our prom."

Officials at the Itawamba County School District were not immediately available for comment.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Gay and lesbian • U.S.
  1. J G

Well, at least it was nice of this girl to ruin everybody's prom by pushing her cause.

I agree that the school should've allowed her to bring her date, though. She has a right to be upset.

March 11, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • whybs

Every dump I take reminds me of these Itawamba County School District officials! :)

June 22, 2010 at 7:39 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Brandon

Folks, this is what happens when backward-thinking morons get jobs at schools. What terrible shame they're placing upon the girl by cancelling the entire event over a simple request. Good to know Fulton, Mississippi is still back in the stone age in terms of civil rights...

March 11, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |
  3. wallynm

The school board is being fair in that no one will be going to a prom. The one wanting to crash the prom did not expect this action so now they are suing to have a prom. This is not a discrimination as all all being treated the same way.

March 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mike

Live and let live, people.

March 12, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  5. Brown

The ACLU is a waste, in case anyone has not noticed it only represents snesational front page stories . But when are people going to take responsiability for their actions, she is responsible. In apparently tring to clain her individualissm and shock the staff,, waving her sexual preference is in bad taste.
    I fnid it insame that her parents haven;t explained to her the one night is not worth the rest of her lifetime, to be judged by sexuality rather than accomlishments. Sex used to be a private this generation is learning to wave it in public, sad part is it makes no difference to anyone who is in you prefer. So why do I need to know ?
    What part of respect/ discretion don't these young adults understand..... ACLU should be fighting to make sure students get the education they are promised.

March 12, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  6. John

go and have your own prom with all chicks on another night. No one is denying you. Just do the right thing

March 12, 2010 at 10:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Lex

It really is shameful that this young lady is treated with bigotry due to her sexual orientation.

March 12, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. Rick

This is proof of our legal system run amok. Whichever side of this issue you take, it is the school's right to cancel the prom for whatever reason they see fit. It is one thing to hold them accountable for excluding certain parties from attending the event if it happens, but forcing them to have it would be a gross abuse of law. I'd like someone to show me where it is written that the school is obligated legally to provide a prom. There's the big picture.

March 12, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  9. john

Or you could just agree to not take a girl to the prom so that all the other children can enjoy their opportunity to experience a time-honored tradition. But its not really about anyone else, is it?

March 12, 2010 at 12:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MacieJo

Is it a student's RIGHT to have a prom? I don't think a school should be required to host a prom if they don't want to. A previous article already stated that private donations could be used for the prom and it could be held anyway.

March 12, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. titiania brownlee

i think it is wrong wat they are doing and shouldnt do that because of a girl being a lesbian.

March 12, 2010 at 2:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. titiania brownlee

they shouldnt be treated like that it is not like they murdered any one.

March 12, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Lorna Swinton

You go, girl!!! Stand up for your rights! The bigots will back down eventually. It's nice to see you stand up for EVERYBODY'S rights, I'm surprised the rest of your schoolmates don't recognize what is happening and join you in the fight for what is fair!

March 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  14. LJ

I love how the people who preach for there rights and the constitution and the land of the free and all are the majority of the people trying to put limits on actual citizens of the United States freedoms. Obviously, people, this is NOT the land of the free when a teeneager can't even go to here prom becasue SOME people don't like homosexuality. More like the land of the hypocrites I'd say!

March 12, 2010 at 3:04 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Phoenix Abby

For crying out loud are they really that backwards in the south?

March 12, 2010 at 4:10 pm | Report abuse |