March 11th, 2010

This is 'This Just In'

You're reading "This Just In," CNN's new news blog.

You’ll find all the breaking news of the day here, from big stories like earthquakes and elections to interesting notes on the naming of the world’s richest man and Charlie Sheen’s return to his sitcom.

There’ll be posts from yours truly and the staff of CNN at large to give you the latest from the CNN Wire, plus the scoops and interviews and insight that make this a really fun and interesting place to be. You’ll know when we have live streams of events and videos of news can be posted within minutes of them coming in. Whatever confirmed information we're hearing and reporting is what you'll be reading and watching.

We aim to look far and wide at what you and the rest of the Web community are interested in and talking about with features like Web Pulse - which takes a look at the collective conversation of the internet according to Google trends, Twitter, etc. This is also the place to find out who the day’s Most Intriguing People are and there’s easy access to our Twitter account @cnnbrk.

We are essentially in "beta mode" right now, so this is a great time to let us know what you think. You can comment on every post, so get to it.

Gotta go now, news is breaking.

– Mallory and Manav

1. Ruth Sherman, Ph.D., AASECT Certified Sex Therapist Diplomat, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist

Re: Tiger Woods: The CNN HLN Sports commentator just stated that it is time that Tiger Woods tell the public what his therapeutic personal issues are. I strongly respond that working through issues such as this are a complex private matter . The fact that he shared that he had been working on this on an inpatient basis for two months is sufficient. He is a professional athlete and needs to get on with his game.

March 17, 2010 at 11:06 am | Report abuse |
    • Julius

I completely agree with this comment. Tiger Woods has been in the news for about 6 months now. It's time to let him get back to his profession. What obligation should he feel to the media or his "fans" after all that's been said?

May 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
    • Corky

This is an interesting topic

January 17, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse |
    • oilfeilds

i agree ruth there is a time and place,, even when you ar in the spot lite to get on with your life he doesnt owe the world anything, he has personally been paying the price, he has to deal with it himself.just because some thing is true doesnt always need to be put on display, he brought things on his self sure,,, but he still has a life and he need to get on with it

February 7, 2011 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |
    • jonathonjerson

He owes much, much more: Those *JUST* like him are the only ones defending him.

March 17, 2011 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • paige turner

Has anyone considered the killings in Long Island to be that of the Craig's List killer that killed himself? He did make a statement to his parents and fiancee' just to write him off because there was so much more that would come out eventually that they should just go on with their lives. This is supposedly why he killed himself because he knew there was more. Any chance there could be semen in any of these ladies or touch DNA on clothes or what ever? I think CRAIG"S LIST KILLER DID THIS!!!!

April 8, 2011 at 9:53 am | Report abuse |
  2. Phil K.

My Goodness. I have always taught that when times get tough, you really find out the true colors
    of the people around you. We have truly seen the true colors of many politicians and Americans on the issue of health care. Many of these actions that people have displayed are disgraceful and disrespectful. I can't believe that we area nation more worried on what debt will be left to our children rather than how we should be treating each other and learning how to help those who don't have ANY health insurance. The current President ran his campaign on CHANGE – Well America, this is what change looks like and feels like. Be careful what you wished and voted for.

March 22, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse |
    • Justin Truth

Ok, you people are killing me. I NEVER respond to these blogs or submit a comment but the overwhelming number of comments on health care that are so goofy has compelled me to write this. Why are Americans NOT just Republicans, as I am an independent, upset about health care and why does it cost so much? This would take a novel to answer so first let me get something off my chest. Ok I have read people crying about the current generation and a country as great as ours should not worry about the debt left to the future generations. YOU ARE GREEDY AND YOUR PART OF THE PROBLEM. The world is not fair, deal with it you self centered fools. You are also probably the same group that bought a million dollar home on a 20K income and have your credit cards maxed out because you wanted the latest and greatest toy. You want to live in your nice home, work 4 hours a day, text for 2 hours and get paid for 8, have a nice car, the luxuries in life, and have everyone else pay for it. People are dying all over the world and it stinks but to try and save them all would bankrupt the world plus there are not enough doctors to go around let alone hospitals. Now truth be told there are some HARD working Americans that fell onto hard times through no fault of their own. They actually work 12 hours a day, get paid for 8, lived their lives on a budget, never spent money on toys that they knew they could not afford on THEIR income and always paid in cash. To them I truly sympathize.
      So why is health care so expensive and how do we fix the problem. Limit capitalism. I know it’s utterly un-American. There used to be a time when Capitalism was defined as making a good product and selling it at a fair price. Well of course that is when Americans actually took pride in their work and where not greedy as hell. Now it’s make the biggest piece of junk we can, sell it at ungodly ridiculous profits so the company’s stock goes up and I can retire in five years. The cost of health care includes all those machines like MRI’s where it cost 1 to 3 million EACH. Does it cost them 1 million to make uhhhhhhh NOOOOOOOOO. That neck brace your wearing that cost $30 and was made in china for $2.50 is part of the problem. The cost of prescriptions, the doctor that wants to charge 100,000 to save your life, $100 for a 10 minute office visit….. shall I continue. Now were not done yet, lets add the health care profits and insurance profits on. Seriously people Capitalism in this country has gone crazy. If you want to control health care you have to limit PROFITS which is un-greedy err I mean un-American. Since you want your 401K to double in profit every year quit your crying or start saying enough is enough when it comes to EVERYONE’s profits. Yes EVERYONES which includes YOU! Buy what you can afford and if your neighbor has the latest mobile phone but you don’t and cannot afford it without taking out a loan then JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU CAN AFFORD IT. By the way to all the people who are trying to make this about RACE, race has NOTHING to do with this. President Obama was voted into office by all races in an overwhelming majority. Just because we do not like some of his decisions has nothing to do with it. The people who claim it’s about race are afraid to deal with the real issues and just think screaming race will cause everyone to agree with the decision fearing they be branded a racist. I am not a racist, I voted for him, I do not like some of his decisions, DEAL WITH IT!

June 22, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Adam

Wow justin you tel; them.. u basically just wrote an English paper as a comment

March 31, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Olga Oliver

The health care debate is only symbolic of the true debate we've been experiencing these past months. The true, deep debate is hidden in those who cannot accept change – those among us who cannot accept that a black man in the President of the USA. I am looking forward to a change in the process and length of time (not a lifetime) that our representatives and senators can represent the people. Yelling obscenities on the House floor is indicative of the low intelligence we have representing our people. Old age collects wisdom; however, at the same time old age collects living-in-the-past comfort zones. Let's get those old folks representing us replaced with new folks (whatever color) who have new ideas, brave, new intelligence, who do not forget they represent the people. I am embarrassed for the world to see and know some of those now representing we, the people. I am a white, 82-year-old woman. Paula O.

March 23, 2010 at 2:36 pm | Report abuse |
  4. f.l.

Actually I haven't seen one person in my life get turned away at the hospital,that had a life threatening problem..

March 24, 2010 at 11:29 am | Report abuse |
    • swillum

True but what you should have seen is the limited choices presented to them because of lack of insurance. The uninsurend gets a different level of care then the insured.

September 17, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • Marv Thomas

No one gets turned away but if you have a dime or home you will be getting a bill and be aware that your home isn't going to be spared. Health care is big BIG and the Republicans know who get makes and keeps the money.

February 4, 2011 at 4:26 pm | Report abuse |
  5. C.K.

While there are many details that need to be ironed out in Health Care Reform, "for the life of me" (pun intended) I still cannot comprehend why so many oppose fixing a broken down, outdated, lousy system that enables Medicare fraud to flourish and Insurance policies that blatantly rip-off the consumer! I am the Sole Proprietor of an Ad Agency who is in relatively healthy shape and for the past 10 years I have gone from one bad health insurance company to another that cost between $400-$600 a month with a $10,000 dollar deductibles, pre-existing condition refusal, bare minimum co-pay and they can drop me any time for any reason.
    This is the reality and its frightening and frustrating. Will someone please tell me why are so many people and the entire Republican members of the Senate so determined to protect these
    massive insurance companies that are crippling our national health while getting fantastically wealthy.

March 25, 2010 at 12:40 pm | Report abuse |
    • Willowspring

The lousy broken down system you speak of does need repair, NOT a new and government controlled health plan that dictates to doctors, hospitals and patients, but REPAIR. The part that needed fixing is fraud of which they KNEW and did NOTHING and Tort reform which bloats the cost of healthcare and lines the pockets of lawyers, one way is by defensive Medicine. A Dr must order test after test that may not even be necessary because he knows as a doctor what the problem is and how to fix it, but he has to cover his a$$ by taking tests so he's not hauled into court if someone dies and the family didn't think the person should have. The patient could have had heart failure, diabetes, been obese and 80 years old, but the doctor gets "blamed" for the death and is hauled into court. Malpractice insurance is VERY costly and the cost is part of the overhead in any doctor's office. Fraudulent medical malpractice, ambulance chasers, "accidents" that are not really accidents, but planned to get a big settlement, fraudulent insurance claims all contribute to the present debacle that is our health care. If those things had been Fixed and we would not try to cover Illegals we would NOT be in this mess. You can thank a Progressive administration that wanted only ONE thing and that is to TAKE OVER the health care system, NO MATTER WHAT!!!

March 18, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. renay

Health care will only change when bonusese and pay for the health insurance is regulated its a necessaty to life to have health care, example i install heaters and fix them if i charged you 20000. to install it you couldn t really afford it well maybe government could say hay you want to be an insrance company theses are the rule. My family of 4 pays 1900. amonth for health care i still pay lots of co pays too.The higher ups in health insurance are very greedy. A ceo recieved 1000000. bonus Mill. on top of a mill pay check oooo escuse me some of the bonus was stock some

March 25, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Olga Oliver

YEA, C.K. – Your remarks summarize so well. Why would anyone with an ounce of intelligence be unable to comprehend. So, to find a hint of the problem, step down more deeply. All these blockages are surely tainted with accepting change – a black human being at the helm of our great nation.

March 26, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Report abuse |
    • lorraine kennedy

,YAY, Olga Olive., and racial issues have been important to me since my mother brought me along to her
      work at CORE as her cheap solution to babysitting.

But I think that these issues are sometimes being used as a "well-meaning" diversion from the
      more pressing GLOBAL issues of environmental well-being and political maneuvering.

(47 & white, but I am claiming some Bonus Wisdom Years gained from illness! ha ha)

May 22, 2010 at 12:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • lorraine kennedy

'scuse me MS Olga, I shoulda typed "Oliver," of course, not "Olive."
      Pardon my typso?
      Typos?

May 22, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • Willowspring

Olga, you poor thing. I feel sorry for you that the only thing you can hang your opinion on is that Mr. Obama is black and it was not acceptable to the American people. Then who in the name of all that is good and holy, do you think voted that man into office????????????? There are not enough blacks in the U. S. to have voted him in. A LARGE block of independent and republican voters voted him in, and Lots of Jews, (look at what it got them) Get it?? I am conservative, but was initially impressed with Mr. Obama, but it did not take me long to read between his lines. Skyrocketing energy prices? Cripple the coal industry? Government health care? Destroy the free enterprise we have enjoyed as a Free people, not under government control? Spread the wealth, that is taking from taxpayers that produce to give to those that do NOT? I could go on. And these are the things I knew Before he was elected, so I had to hold my nose to vote conservative. The crowning blow to his "Ascension" in my mind was the comment five days before the election when he said to the effect, "America is the greatest country in the world, join with me as we FUNDAMENTALLY CHANGE IT!" WHHAAATT? Don't EVEN think I am racist! Remember my comment that I was Initially impressed. I and many other thinking people who love liberty have Fundamentally changed our minds!

March 18, 2011 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  8. david hook

we felt it as far away as phoenix az when the lights in the dining room started swaying

April 4, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. david hook

earthquaake felt in phoenix az

April 4, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. H.S.

in answer to C.K.

M O N E Y

the medical industry is the largeset surpplier of money to our congress

April 11, 2010 at 10:46 am | Report abuse |
  11. Rafael A. Madrigal

I live in Pharr Texas five miles from the Mexican border and as to update the latest on the border war: The Mexican cartel is now using fake border patrol vehicles to move thier load across and Nothward, Mexican military helicopters have been seen inside the U.S. over Zapata, Texas and no U.S. agency was aware of it. Unidentified military small helicopter with no markings has been seen over Pharr, and San Juan, Texas, several times and no one knows as to who is behind it, Department of Public Safety is unaware, and the military is also unaware. It may seem to be a joke but it is not. We have a war next door and it seems that we are ignoring the problem like it will go away all by itself. Get real.

April 12, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MKrego

About the girl pointing the finger gun:
    Mom, stop making excuses for your daughter-everyday teachers are threatened by students in cities and towns across the country. It has become okay to say whatever, whenever; when teachers take protective action, or attempt to have discipline codes enforced, the student becomes the victim. Thank you to the principal who is standing up for what is right. Mom, your daughter is going to learn a hard lesson about inappropriate behavior.

April 20, 2010 at 7:57 am | Report abuse |
  13. marilyn moffatt

I have a scheduled flight to Greece near the end of the week. I am still wary of the safety of air travel right now due to the volcanic ash . I realize the airlines are anxious to return to business as usual as they are losing so much money but I hope they will still think Safety First. One plane goes down and over 300 lives will be lost and what will they say....OOPS. I guess it wasn't that safe. I am also concerned about my connecting flights and what may be the potential delays when I arrive at that airport. I feel like I should not take this trip but I won't be reimbursed for my ticket if I cancel. The airlines already canceled me once. I feel like there is no one to give me any advice as I haven't heard anything from the airlines of suupport.

April 21, 2010 at 7:35 am | Report abuse |
    • Doyle

Should you go or not? You are evidently a very smart woman. All you have to do is ask yourself "Is it safe?". Well? Is is safe?

June 30, 2010 at 4:18 pm | Report abuse |
  14. John

RE: Obama to attend service for West Virginia miners – The coal mined at the Massey Upper Big Branch mine is meterological or met coal and was intended to be shipped to China or India for use in making steel. The price of met coal is 2x or 3x that of thermal or steam coal used in generating electricity. This information is missed on most news reports of the disaster at the mine. Regards.

April 25, 2010 at 8:34 am | Report abuse |
  15. John

Moderator: Spelling: RE: Obama to attend service for West Virginia miners – The coal mined at the Massey Upper Big Branch mine is metallurgical coal or met coal and was intended to be shipped to China or India for use in making steel. The price of met coal is 2x or 3x that of thermal or steam coal used in generating electricity. This information is missed on most news reports of the disaster at the mine. Regards.

Posted by: John