March 11th, 2010

This is 'This Just In'

You're reading "This Just In," CNN's new news blog.

You’ll find all the breaking news of the day here, from big stories like earthquakes and elections to interesting notes on the naming of the world’s richest man and Charlie Sheen’s return to his sitcom.

There’ll be posts from yours truly and the staff of CNN at large to give you the latest from the CNN Wire, plus the scoops and interviews and insight that make this a really fun and interesting place to be. You’ll know when we have live streams of events and videos of news can be posted within minutes of them coming in. Whatever confirmed information we're hearing and reporting is what you'll be reading and watching.

We aim to look far and wide at what you and the rest of the Web community are interested in and talking about with features like Web Pulse - which takes a look at the collective conversation of the internet according to Google trends, Twitter, etc. This is also the place to find out who the day’s Most Intriguing People are and there’s easy access to our Twitter account @cnnbrk.

We are essentially in "beta mode" right now, so this is a great time to let us know what you think. You can comment on every post, so get to it.

Gotta go now, news is breaking.

- Mallory and Manav

1. Teresa Munoz

Teresa Munoz

I say we start getting rid of the waste in the White House! Why do these Men and Woman of the United States get to have Sunday off when the JOB is not done, Heck I would lose my job. We need to look at all the waste and get rid of it. We as voters need to look at this! I have one check book and mine is balanced every month as I'm sure alot of Americans do the same. We are asked to pay our bills all the time, So why is the White House even thinking of not paying there bills? I say do a 20% across the board tax bill for everyone, I say what we pay for to in port or export they meaning over seas pay the same! And why when we have a program out there we have to have another program out there to make sure the one we had first gets done? I say we bring home some of our Fine Americans over seas and start taking care of our own boarders! It's time to take care of waste and start saving. It does not take a Rocket Science to do this. I'll ever take my own time to help out with the BUDGET!!

July 31, 2011 at 10:20 am | Report abuse |
  2. Dave

I find it tragic that nothing (and I mean nothing) like the Tea Baggers and their steadfastness in standing up for their beliefs exists in Obama's administration.....he seems willing to abandon the senior citizens, the middle class, and the poor in the name of political expediency......we thought we elected a Lion to stand up to the Republicans and the Tea Baggers.......instead we have elected a mouse! Will I support Obama in 2012 …..NO! NO WAY!! Obama's unwillingness to even try to take the bold step of using the 14th amendment to solve the debt ceiling crisis has cost him the vital support of the core Democrats for 2012.

August 1, 2011 at 3:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Ray

why don't we offer companies the ability to keep their Bush tax cuts, but ONLY if they hire new people-isn't that the best of both worlds? If you don't hire, then you get to give us more of your fair share, if you do hire, then you stimulate the economy AND your company pocketbook. Isn't this a bit Republican and a bit Democrat? I"m sure a formula could be worked out to determine how many people a company would have to hire depending on the size of the company

August 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Report abuse |
    • steve

Ray, they already have the cuts, no one took them from them, they were even offered more incentives and stimuli that the GOP is complaining about and the private sector still refuses to hire, the only thing else Obama can do is go build the factory and do the hiring himself

August 15, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  4. vetnam vet

August 6, 2011 at 7:07 pm | Report abuse |

Running my business, I would not even want to raise my debt ceiling! I'm only concerned with getting rid of it. Until they find a front runner with a plan, I think we all better pray!

August 15, 2011 at 10:42 pm | Report abuse |

I hope we can find someone to elect who will do what they say they are going to instead of bowing to special interests!

August 15, 2011 at 10:44 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Billy

About 11AM I cought a peice of CNN news as I was walking by my TV Some rich Guy said he wouldent mind kicking in a little more. OK tell you what I am willing to do. I am on a Fixed Income of $1476. a month cant aford to do much but If you will help out our econemy by giving what you can afford Then I am willing to kick in a couple of hundred bucks. Problem is WHO do we trust giving our money to. Not to sure who we can trust our goverement with any extra money??

August 16, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse |
    • kim

So here's the deal – if we save the folks that earn over 1 million dollars a year some money by giving them a tax cut – they will invest it all in hiring people and starting businesses – I just don't trust 'em – they're just a little too greedy – they'd probably just keep it.

Tell you what – give ME a couple hundred thousand this year and I'LL start the business and hire people. It's the same thing – i'll just feel better if i get it.

September 21, 2011 at 7:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • EXEUSA

He said she said- government killed again- He said she said.. no physical evidence..... He said she said no weapon.. He said another death mockup again he said she said How many innocent people Americans killing American without a fair trial until PROVEN guilty. He said she said was that 7 to 9 that retracted. He said she said. Another great stupid role to show how our system works. He said she said. Troy Davis there will be people finding you innocent Not Our Pathetic Government He said she said. Shame on Our COURTS! He said she said.

September 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Joe R. Sims

We need to keep in our collective memory the images of the Republicans in the House holding steadfast in refusing to hear 70% of us when we wanted a combination of cuts and new revenue on the wealthy. They haven't paid anything to pull Our country out of the debt we are now in. We paid for the bank bailout, now we have to pay to reduce the debt. Are they part of this country or not. The "{Job Creators" have created jobs overseas in China and imported goods back to the U.S. so they can increase their wealth. That's how the French Revolution got started, the wealthy flaunted, while the poor starved. We need to be fair to all, even if that means the wealthy have to pay. If Congress doesn't hear us now, let them hear us next November. They even brought out one of their guys who owes $170,00000 in child support saying we need to get our house in order, he needs to pay his child support. Wheere is his arrest warrant Illinois?

August 20, 2011 at 7:48 pm | Report abuse |
    • CarlafromTexas

Couldn't have said it better myself.

August 24, 2011 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  9. ajgorm

HOW THE CIA CONTROLS NATO AND BILDERBERG? How might the CIA control NATO and the NATO-run Bilderberg Group? Witness X2 noted

August 22, 2011 at 12:22 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Melissa in HP, NC

My husband, our dog and I felt the earthquake here in High Point, NC. We didn't know what it was. Our dog reacted as if it was a bad storm. Just wanted you to be aware that it was felt here.

August 23, 2011 at 2:18 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sue

Just felt the same up here in Augusta Maine! Unbelievable!

August 23, 2011 at 2:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. JohnK

What about the Lake Anna nuclear plants nearby the epicenter of the earthquake? Any info on that? Does it trigger any response?

August 23, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |
    • Sparky

A team from NRC went down there to investigate the effects of the earthquake. It was underdesigned for the size of the earthquake we had. They will retrofit no doubt or add more safety features to avoid anything again.

September 27, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bob Z Locust Grove VA

How are the reactors at Lake Anna ? How did the quake effect them?

August 23, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sarah

Thousands of parents just dropped their kids off at VCU in Richmond to start the fall semester. You've shown lots of coverage of DC & NYC, which are pretty far away. How are our kids in Richmond? Are the campus buildings evacuated? Do we need to go pick up our kids? Will the semester go forward as planned?

August 23, 2011 at 2:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Bev

felt the earthquaker in Bluefield WV things rattling in the house for about 1 minute or more. Sadly all the money that has been spent on disaster preparedness there is no preparation for us.

August 23, 2011 at 4:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jerry from Arizona

I'm curious. So, who among the freed journalists covering
    the war in Libya were not foreign?

August 24, 2011 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |