March 15th, 2010

Update: Tiger returning to golf, but no date set yet

[Updated 3:57] Listen to PGA Commissioner Tim Finchem discuss Tiger Woods' return to the tour and the impact of his absence.

[Updated 2:48 p.m.] PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem said Tiger Woods is preparing to return to golf, but he does not know the specific date or event when that would happen.

"We have the general information that Tiger is preparing to play," Finchem said.

The PGA chief noted that speculation was focusing on Woods returning at the end of March and said if that was the case "then we will know soon."

"He'll give us reasonable notice because we know we've got some preparation to do," he said. "But I don't have the specific date when he's going to come back."

[Posted 12:42 p.m.] The wait for a date for Tiger Woods’ return to golf continues - but perhaps today is the day fans will get an answer.

With two weeks until practice rounds begin for the Masters, speculation is swirling around the subject of a teleconference scheduled for 2:30 p.m. with PGA Tour Commissioner Tim Finchem (We'll be listening live and you can too.)

Even if Tiger is not officially on the agenda, surely his name will soon come up in questions.

Finchem said yesterday he expects Tiger to give him a heads-up soon about when he’ll be back on the Tour. Perhaps he's gotten one and we'll finally learn when Woods (and ratings) will return to the golf world.

The Associated Press recently cited "two people with knowledge of his plans" who said Woods would not return until the Masters in Augusta, Georgia, which begins with practice rounds on April 6 and ends with the tournament from April 9-12.

Woods, 34, stepped away from the tour late last year after crashing his black Cadillac Escalade into a fire hydrant and then a tree near his home outside Orlando, Florida. He later admitted cheating on his wife.

1. RickM

I do not understand this sport. Why call a press conference only to say I don't know when he is coming back?

Call a press conference when you have something to say. I think that it is pretty obvious that Tiger won't pass up the masters. The difference between us is that I am not calling a press conference to announce my speculation.

March 15, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Report abuse |
  2. marivera

Let's just move on past the sex scandal news. To me it's already old news and inconsequential. Former President Clinton cheated on his wife and lied, yet America allowed him to stay in office and he is still respected. What Tiger did probably gets him off anyone's role model list, but what I care about now is his future actions and possible accomplishments in golf.

March 15, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Rich

Like many of us, I took up golf after watching Tiger play. I agree with Dale, he owes us nothing except for the enjoyment of watching him play. Just as my private life is of no concern to any of you, Tiger's private life is of no concern, none, to me. I pay for a ticket to watch him play golf at a level no one else can. What he does off the course? That's none of our business.

March 15, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Kamau

Really though..........who cares anymore.

March 15, 2010 at 6:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. mike

I'm a fan of Tiger and love the game of golf. He's not taking steroids and has not cheated at golf. Most of us only wish we have the problem he does with women. But it's his PERSONAL life and not ours. I haven't watched the PGA since tiger left and didn't when he was injured as well, but started watching the minute he came back last time and will do the same this time. Only this time it's like reality tv meets sports with a scotish announcer.

March 15, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  6. BERN

Wow...a pathetic human being. Really? That is just plain ridiculousness! Although I don't know Tiger personally, I would guess that he is no where close to being a pathetic human being...like, not even in the same stratosphere close! I don't even know what it means to be a pathetic human being...not sure I've ever met one. What's the criteria? Oh, making mistakes and/or doing something you regret. Oh God, we're all pathetic human beings. My bad...I take my earlier statements back. Welcome to the club Tiger...and you too Steve.

March 15, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bill Gee

I guess we'll never know,whether his wife really worked him over with a 5 iron,as many suggest,or it was an accident, as he laid on the ground snoring at 2am in the morning on the front lawn of his mansion.. Duh !!!!

March 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ajit

I am with all the folks who are against Tiger's behavior. Golf is a game of gentlemen/ladies. This is the only sport in the world where we don't have an umpire or a referee. The players call their own penalties. Our heritage has been classy guys like Nicklaus, Palmer, Watson, Snead et al. Tiger is capable of winning 25 Majors and 150 Tour victories and he is the greates ball striker of all times, but he is not even a pimple on these guys' butt. Agreed that he did not comit any illegal stuff. But I would be Very offended if my son's high school teacher committed the same "crimes" as Tiger. I would take my son to a different school. I would like to see Finchem ban Tiger from Golf. We don't need guys like him in the game. But money talks and he will be back on the tour soon.

March 15, 2010 at 6:24 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Marcus

When Tiger comes back the ratings for Golf will be astronomical. Not only will the true golf fans watch, just to see if he can bring his "A Game" after this layoff, but the gossip gals & guys will watch just to see him fall. Kind of like Muhammad Ali, some wanted him to fail, some wanted him to triumph. Drama will be in-the-house.

March 15, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. davetharave

I told everyone 2 months ago, at the low point in Tiger's problems and with absolutely no statements being made by him or his associates, that there was no way Tiger would miss the Masters. His apology 3 weeks ago and these subsequent stories suggesting his return are paving the was for an announcement coming 'soon' in which he will announce just that. There's no reason he shouldn't start playing again and he ought to just come out and say it and get it over with.

March 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rita T.

Whether you love Tiger or you don't, you can't deny his impact. Look at us!....nearly 150 of us are discussing him, his game, his return, and how we feel about him. Most of us are at work and should be doing something for which our employer is paying us but we're here posting comments and reading remarks about the guy! In the grand sceme of the universe, our opinions really don't amount to much but he evokes feelings strong enough in us that we feel we have to support him or attack him. Aren't we an amusing little group?

March 16, 2010 at 2:24 pm | Report abuse |