March 17th, 2010

Purported al-Awlaki message calls for jihad against U.S.

American-born Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki is calling for jihad against America, claiming "America is evil" in a new audio message obtained exclusively by CNN.

"With the American invasion of Iraq and continued U.S. aggression against Muslims, I could not reconcile between living in the U.S and being a Muslim and I eventually came to the conclusion that jihad against America is binding upon myself just as it is binding on every other Muslim," he says in the recording that runs more than 12 minutes.

Al-Awlaki is believed to be hiding out in hills of southern Yemen with the protection of his very powerful family tribe.

CNN could not authenticate the recording as being by al-Awlaki, but sources have told CNN that they believe the voice on the recording is him and that the recording is genuine.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: National security • World • Yemen
  1. sajan

stop giving audience on tv to these terrorists

March 17, 2010 at 9:43 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Justin

I agree. The media is being irresponsible by highlighting extremist voices and not covering the statements of the majority moderate Muslims. They need to stop helping these terrorists spread their poison. But again, I doubt the media will change since it is all about ratings and profits.

March 18, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  3. hampster

There is definitely two types of Islam, two Mohammads, and two Alas. One cleric reads the Koran and call for a jihad and another cleric reads the Koran and calls for non violence. There has to be two Islams.

March 18, 2010 at 10:18 am | Report abuse |
  4. Reader

The MEDIA is now responsible for spreading the word. Way to go!! Doesn't that make them terrorists as well?

March 18, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. edw. hickey

I constantly wonder What the moderate muslims are doing to stop these wacko muslims. Head in the sand is not what the average person expects to see here. Pick your side, American blood is being spilled
    Fighting the crazies while moderate muslims stand on the sidelines &
    say they are not given the respect they think is due them. NOW let me tell you " I've got relatives I don't like " so maybe you could help me a little here, POINT OUT THE BAD GUYS OR SHUT UP & GET TARRED WITH THE SAME BRUSH.

March 18, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Thozzomantis

The American and European media are Complicit in this, and most recent acts of terror Perpetrated by Hamas, and many other terrorist organizations.

They feel that if they keep giving extremist islam a voice, and turn a blind eye to the many, many murders, they will always have a "story" to write.

They couldn't care less about human life as long as somebody tunes in to hear their propaganda.

March 18, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |