March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Craig Armstrong

She is truly in the Edward R. Morrow league. I am happy to see her move to an important news program, yet sad because I live in Sweden and will have to access her excellent work via internet rather than over the tube... I wish her all the best.

March 18, 2010 at 3:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Mike

Wow. This makes me a bit sad. Congrats on the new digs! I really enjoy CNN's coverage of issues and Christiane Amanpour has been one of my favorite journalists for a few years now.

Good Luck!

March 18, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Tari Torch Sweeney - Shaker Heights, OH

Well, I, for one, will sorely miss Christiane Amanpour. What an incredible woman! I wish her the best. I hope her career continues as she wishes.

March 18, 2010 at 3:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Marc

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! as I am happy if she is, I will miss Christiane immensly on CNN. She is the top journalist of our time...

March 18, 2010 at 3:51 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. CWilly

Too Bad. I guess it is too late to beg you not to go. Like ABC, but LOVE CNN. It is a good show you will be doing though. Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 18, 2010 at 3:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Otto

Sorry to see you go and I have enjoyed your news coverage over the years. I am glad you are going to a worthy network and not Fox.

March 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Frederick Szczepanski

Congrats! Best of luck in your new position. Hopefully CNN can find someone as qualified and dedicated as you!

March 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. ElFantasman

What a fantastic person/reporter she is. Kudos to ABC and CNN for giving her the blessing to explore newe territory.
    I predict she will take over when Diane decides to hang them up.

March 18, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. johnnyman

Great correspondent! See you and value your information at ABC. Thanks for the great reporting, I love CNN and ABC

March 18, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Jen

What a loss for CNN! She is one of the best journalist of our time.

March 18, 2010 at 3:56 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. johnnyman

She's cute too!

March 18, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Paul

CNN with no Christiane....That's like a day without the sun. Thank you for all the great reporting. CNN is losing an outstanding reporter.

March 18, 2010 at 3:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. lara

With CNN inviting the likes of Erick Erickson in, and giving John King more airtime, I don't blame her.
    If things keep going in this direction, the channel's going to go belly up. I knew there was trouble coming when CNN started covering Jon and Kate, but when they interviewed someone who called the president 'an Indonesian muslim welfare thug' and actually let him get away with it unchallenged, Amanpour's resignation letter was already in the mail.
    This is the result of too many celebs, too much political sensationalism, and too little substance. Still they can take solace in the fact that it can never end as badly as it's going to end for FOX, whose outright lies are going to blow up in their face in a spectacular fashion.
    And at least we still have Candy.

March 18, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. cad

I think Christiane is a wonderful anchor and news correspondent. I think she is making a HUGE mistake going to ABC. But I do wish her well.

March 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Gloria A. Wurm

I have always believed what Christiane reported, not like all the other reporters who were either Republican or Democratic biased. She gave you the facts which were the truth. I am sorry to hear her leaving CNN as you are my prime news source, as well as my home page on my computer. Best of luck to her but CNN is still my news source.

March 18, 2010 at 4:00 pm | Report abuse | Reply