March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Jon P

NOOO! Ms. Amanpour is one of the BEST journalists we have today! This is a huge loss for CNN. But, I will now be watching ABC's "This Week" after hearing the news.

March 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Vertrep00

Christiane is not retiring, she's... switching teams... changing jobs... leveraging... pursuing opportunities... moving on... and, exercising her freedom of choice.

CNN is... losing credibility... not assessing intrinsic value... managing by the "bottom line"... and, protecting executive bonuses.

March 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Tom

Eventually, everyone wants to cash in. Why is there no mention of money? My guess is that's what this is about. (and I don't blame her one bit)

March 18, 2010 at 5:09 pm | Report abuse |
  4. KM

Huge mistake, CNN, not having the ability to retain her. You are slipping in a lot of ways, this is a major demonstration,

March 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Robert Schuette

Truely one of the reasons CNN is among the best is because of Ms. Amanpour. You will be missed and I wish you the best.

March 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse |
  6. greg

I think she's making a mistake. I think the CNN brand is a much more vibrant news platform than ABC -– it successfully exists online, as a web resource for news, and also as a cable TV news network. When I think of news... I think about CNN. ABC is just another TV station - for entertainment and news (but mostly entertainment)... it's just one channel like so many others. No matter what ABC does, even hiring this extraordinary reporter, they will never be viewed as an online web resource for news. Without that, in the very short run, ABC will become increasingly irrelevant when it comes to its identity for providing news content. The ABC news platform is more like an ancient relic of a a bygone era when there used to only be CBS, ABC and NBC. I love her reporting but at the end of the day (tthough I think Candy and Anderson are pretty incredible too) I'll probably still be watching CNN. I think it's a huge loss for CNN but even more so for Ms. Amanpour.

March 18, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bridget Bradshaw

Christiane Amanpour – You are the reason i started watching CNN daily – I will miss your riveting journalism and the intensity of your stories – you are truly amazing!!!!!!! Maybe i will have to start tuning into ABC once in awhile to fill my void – I wish you well in ALL that you do.

March 18, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Miinou

What a great loss for CNN! Christiane MADE CNN what is is now.
    Anyway, I don't have cable anymore and I'm really excited that I will get to watch her again on ABC.

I wish her the very best with her new program!!

March 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  9. John

It is a dad day when the news agency thinks that a talking head moving jobs is news. I'm not criticizing the lady, just the network's decision that it is news.

March 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Dan

Elaine Quijano, Heidi Collins, Susan Lesovich, Erica Hill, Betty Nguyen and now Christiane Amanpour. CNN is losing talented journalists faster than Glenn Beck can write on a chalkboard. Rumors that Anderson Cooper is being wooed elsewhere (he already does reports for "60 Minutes" on CBS) and Larry King can barely speak in a full sentence during what he calls an interview. The glory days of CNN are clearly behind them. Good luck Christiane!

March 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  11. dekcawhs

Sad to see her go. She is one of the few unbiased reporters on cable news which is one of the most biased places people go for information. At least Candy Crowley is still there.

March 18, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Sheila L.

Just what ABC needs, another really biased reporter. The major media is failing because they do not report the news objectively, they editorialize or slant every story to benefit their Liberal agenda. Brett Baiers interview on Fox of president Obama was the first tough questions asked of him since the campaign trail. No wonder he looked so appalled at being questioned and answering so weakly, or as usual completely avoiding answering at all.
    It is shameful that the major networks do not question the tyrannical medthods being used to circumvent our Constitution, the lack of transparency, unethical behavior, corruption, and unprecedented pork barrel spending and out of control budgets. There are plenty of questions to ask and investigative journalism to be done, if they just would like they did to Bush!

March 18, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  13. elisabeth

not a few of us have been watching CNN deteriorate into Foxland, Amanpour leaving may be the nail in the coffin. All the best to Christiane, she is spectacular in her even-handedness. And to CNN; what the he...!!?

March 18, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Mohamed

Amanpour wasn't an honest reporter as some may say. for those who follow the international news , especially middle east news, might know that Amanpour was somehow supporting the Iranian regime and wasn't an impartial reporter

March 18, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  15. FEDFL

It was a sure bet that Amanpour wouldn't be getting any offers from FoxNews. She's one of the few real journalists left in the business.

March 18, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |