March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. Everett Peavey

Sad to se her leave CNN, but I stopped my sat. dish last August so i can see her on the good ol' fashioned antennae.

March 18, 2010 at 9:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Dawn

It's truly sad to hear Christiane is leaving CNN. She was the best reporter there. This is a big, big lose for CNN as they really have no one to replace her. Best of luck,we will miss you.

March 18, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. tmgabay

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

You are one of my idol and will always follow your news where ever you are!!!

March 18, 2010 at 9:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. LLOYD CARR

She has gone through a great career. I personally met her at a border crossing in the Dominican Republic (Jimania) (1995) while I was working with the Special Forces (US/Cdn) monitoring the border crossing. She was very proffesional stepping off her bus, setting up satellite communications and immediately telling the story of what was happening. An impressive woman.
    I am honoured to have met her and her crew and wish her the best in her continued career.

March 18, 2010 at 9:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Aetius

They are letting a truly outstanding international correspondent like her leave, but keeping clowns like Michael Ware? Once Anderson Cooper is gone there really wont be any reason left to watch CNN. A shame.

March 18, 2010 at 9:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Ken Nelson

As a journalist, I had the opportunity to become one of the core CNN reporters when the network first went "live." I chose another path, but would have been honored to work beside Christiane. Many have come and gone over the years, but she is truly one of the finest journalists I have ever come to know through her unbiased, honest, and courageous reporting. You knew that what she was reporting was always dependable. She never threw any punches, but charged right in with questions that went right to the heart of each issue... whether it was in the line of fire or braving the brutality of a hurricane. She was and is respected by world leaders be they are friends or enemies. I wish her nothing but continued success at ABC News. CNN is about to suffer the loss of a true friend. Stand firm Christiane and continue to "tell it like it is." Thanks for helping open our doors to the world.

March 18, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. JL

Once CNN completes the shedding of its Liberal biased anchors with the likes of Zahn, Amanpour and Blitzer they can begin to rebuild itself to the great news network that it once was. I remember when CNN was synonymous with straight up news. Let ABC continue their slide to the Left with Amanpour.

March 18, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. SIAMAK

I WILL KEEP ON WATCHING YOU ON ABC, ALL THE BEST, U R LIKE A GOOD WINE IT JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER.

March 18, 2010 at 9:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Sidney Albury

One of the best journalist of our times. We look for Christiane Amanpour to explain the complex issues that plagues our world, Amanpour to me is the face of CNN, she will be missed around the world, but congrats and all the best, from one of your biggest fan in The Bahamas.

The World will missu you

March 18, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Joseph Santini

O.M.G. – Whenever I leave the USA and travel around the world, Cristiana was always my solace for the news. ABC is only in the US market and I will miss her on CNN quite alot. However, I fell in love with her every time she would appear on NIGHTLINE with Ted Koppel. I would actually like her to take over NIGHTLINE. The current format is horrible and I don't like to watch it. Hopefully, ABC with take that step after she settles in as one of their news people.

Best of Luck and God Bless!

March 18, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. RCTNYC

I greatly admire Christiane, whom I have watched on CNN since her early work almost thirty years ago. I remember thinking, "Who is that?" as she appeared, holding a mike, in places where, literally, no woman TV correspondent had gone before. She was, and in, truly in a class by herself: intelligent, perceptive, humorous, fearless and tenacious. She'll be a great asset to ABC News. I hope that she will continue on as a foreign correspondent, and not be limited to work as an interviewer and anchor - although she does that work brilliantly, too. I have a feeling, however, that she is slated to replace George Stephanopoulos on ABC's Sunday talk show. Any rumors around to that effect?

March 18, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Stan

I can only echo what virtually everyone else here has said. Ms. Amanpour, unlike almost every journalist of our time, never pandered to ignorance or bias in her reporting. She assumed that her viewers were intelligent, informed and thoughtful people, and she talked to us that way. I suppose the Brinkley gig has a higher profile and higher pay, but frankly I don't think it requires the kind of talent, professionalism, and intelligence that she has been displaying for all these years on CNN. She has set a standard and an example that all of her colleagues should aspire to.

March 18, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Joyce

It is sad to see her leave. She is so intelligent and straightforward and soooo knowledgable about the world. Major loss for CNN.

March 18, 2010 at 10:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Tom

Without a doubt, this is a loss for CNN. I find Ms. Amanpour to be one of the most trusted journalists.. a true journalist, not an opinionated bloviator like many on the air today. Well, a loss for CNN, but not a los for American journalism.

March 18, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. daniel

Christine Amanpours is journalism at its best. Congrats to ABC.

March 18, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Report abuse | Reply