March 18th, 2010

Christiane Amanpour to join ABC News

Christiane Amanpour will be leaving CNN to join ABC News.

“I’m thrilled to be joining the incredible team at ABC News. Being asked to anchor “This Week” and the superb tradition started by David Brinkley, is a tremendous and rare honor and I look forward to discussing the great domestic and international issues of the day,"Amanpour said in a statement. I leave CNN with the UTMOST respect, love and admiration for the company and everyone who works here. This has been my family and shared endeavor for the past 27 years and I am forever grateful and proud of all that we have accomplished.”

Amanpour was CNN's chief international correspondent and anchored Amanpour., a 30-minute, daily interview program that premiered on CNN International in September 2009.

Amanpour worked for 18 years as an international correspondent, covering major crises including Iraq, Afghanistan, the Palestinian territories, Iran, Israel, Pakistan, Somalia, Rwanda, the Balkans and the United States during Hurricane Katrina.

CNN's President Jim Walton praised Amanpour's career and work at the network.

"Over the years, Christiane and I have talked about her professional goals and personal interests, and more recently about the excitement of a new opportunity at this point in her career," Walton said in a statement.  "While I don’t presume to speak for her, as her colleague and friend for more than 25 years I know that this decision has not been an easy one. Since 1990 when Christiane became a CNN international correspondent, she has covered the defining news events of our time.

"Her work burnished our news brand and gave it authority. In turn, the CNN imprimatur opened doors for her around the world and provided a global platform for the intelligent, courageous, principled reporting that is her signature. CNN and Christiane helped make each other great."

Walton said Amanpour will leave her CNN International show at the end of April.

"For her hard work these many years on behalf of CNN; for going where the story was, wherever in the world that might be; for her passion, character and generosity; and most of all, for her extraordinary journalism, Christiane has our gratitude, respect and sincere best wishes," Walton said.

1. sara.teichmann (Cologne Germany)

What a loss! It was my favourite TV-programme every weeknights and unfortunately I don't receive ABC news.
    Please open up a school for journalism and offer your skills and experience to the future – make clear that a true conviction speaks for itself: in chosing the theme, the people, the questions etc...

March 19, 2010 at 8:40 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. obuseh anthony

A reporter of no equal, courageous, objective, cheerful always. I will surely miss you. All the same wishing you the very best.

March 19, 2010 at 8:45 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. CSmith

For those that say she is the C in CNN, now she's the A in ABC. Christiane is just what This Week needs. She's an intelligent journalist who doesn't back down from a fight. Excellent choice.

March 19, 2010 at 8:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Bill

Ms. Amanpour has always struck me as among the most professional correspondents CNN has had. I wish her the absolute best of luck and think it is very small on the part of CNN to not have posted a photo of her as part of this report.

Once again, good luck!

March 19, 2010 at 8:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. FloridaGal

The absolute most classy woman/female journalist in the news today! I like her as much as I like Diane Sawyer if not even more. Barbara Walters should take a lesson as I never saw Walters as a true *journalist* – and now after 13 years on The View – she has become just another tabloid mouth (time for her to retire!).

Congrats Ms. Amanpour! It will be great seeing someone of your caliber on ABC News since there really is no one that even comes close (since Walter Cronkite) in my opinion! All the best to you.

March 19, 2010 at 9:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. seppo suomela

What a loss for CNN and international viewers, who don´t have access to ABC! But all the best of luck to you, Christiane. I will miss you deeply, your passion, your amazing professionality and your objectivity! Seppo Suomela, Helsinki, Finland

March 19, 2010 at 9:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Uche

U bring journalism to life and make me look forward to watching CNN. You are most courageous, unbaised and you speak it and as you see it. No doubt you will be greatly missed cos you will leave a BIG VACUUM that will be difficult to fill but I wish you greater success in ABC. Do keep up the good work

March 19, 2010 at 9:03 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Jim

This is the woman, who, during the invasion of Iraq was extremely critical of the way the U.S. was conducting it's work. I haven't watched her since and I'm not happy to see her going to ABC the news I usually watch.

March 19, 2010 at 9:05 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Cableman

I never watch network TV, so won't be seeing you again. Good luck!

March 19, 2010 at 9:09 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Ernest

Christiane, Congratulations to you! You are indeed one of the media's most respected and admired correspondents. Your reporting speaks with integrity and authority. Thank you so much for reporting many stories that others lacked the courage or fortitude to cover. My wife and I wish you the best of luck at ABC.

March 19, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Squadron Leader Ishaya Bawa (Retired)

Christiane Amanpour, the brave and couragious International CNN newswoman of international repute. I will miss your beautiful face. U have made your mark in CNN. Now is another opportunity to prove your worth too, at the ABC. Good luck.

Squadron Leader Ishaya Bawa (Retired)
    Nigeria

March 19, 2010 at 9:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. neil

Sounds like a downgrade to me, on CNN she got to interview world leaders. Sounds like a $$ issue.

March 19, 2010 at 9:26 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Caola

Besides her professionalism and commitment to truth and honesty in her reporting it's all about that VOICE of hers, commanding and absorbing. Good luch Christiane, wherever you go you'll always land on your feet because of your integrity. Thanks

March 19, 2010 at 9:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Speed

Christianne, I loved your reporting on CNN. You are the best. Good Luck

March 19, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Andrew (New Jersey)

Christiane Amanpour is one of the finest journalists of our time. That says a lot in a time where so many journalists are barely mediocre, which begs the question of what exactly are they teaching in journalism classes these days?

Ms Amanpour is vastly different. She is an astonishingly accomplished, intelligent, and well read person who is trustworthy. Traits such as these are very rare in the media these days. What a prize for ABC News!! She is worth every penney. I will continue to follow her career at ABC. Ms Amanpour... My very best wishes for your continued success in the future and look forward to your hard work at ABC, of which, we the viewers are the fortunate beneficiaries!!

March 19, 2010 at 9:30 am | Report abuse | Reply