March 21st, 2010

NOW 'incensed' over anti-abortion executive order

National Organization for Women President Terry O'Neill issued a statement Sunday afternoon slamming President Obama, saying that he had broken his faith with women by agreeing to issue an executive order that prohibits federal funding for abortions.

"The National Organization for Women is incensed that President Barack Obama agreed today to issue an executive order designed to appease a handful of anti-choice Democrats who have held up health care reform in an effort to restrict women's access to abortion. Through this order, the president has announced he will lend the weight of his office and the entire executive branch to the anti-abortion measures included in the Senate bill, which the House is now prepared to pass.

"President Obama campaigned as a pro-choice president, but his actions today suggest that his commitment to reproductive health care is shaky at best. Contrary to language in the draft of the executive order and repeated assertions in the news, the Hyde Amendment is not settled law - it is an illegitimate tack-on to an annual must-pass appropriations bill. NOW has a longstanding objection to Hyde and, in fact, was looking forward to working with this president and Congress to bring an end to these restrictions. We see now that we have our work cut out for us far beyond what we ever anticipated. The message we have received today is that it is acceptable to negotiate health care on the backs of women, and we couldn't disagree more."

1. Kristin

You are just realizing what a liar he is and always has been-he just say what he needs to get his agenda through. Congrats-you got him into office. Oh, and how do you like how he's gotten the troops out?

March 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Linda

I feel it is critical to pass health care legislation...but I do not want my tax dollars paying for abortion...that is not the most important right women can have.....the far left is responsible for the craziness of the far right. The average citizen is troubled by abortion.....even if supportive of a woman's right to one.

No wonder it is so hard to govern from the center!

March 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Bill

I'm not aware that women are prevented from getting an abortion – simply that my tax dollars don't pay for it. Except in rare cases abortion can be prevented very simply by either using contraception or abstinence... It is not a right!

March 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Suzanne

I don't believe in choice, do you really want to decide if someone lives or dies, is that really a choice?

Also even if Obama does believe in letting people have abortions I believe it is totally wrong to have people as tax payers have to pay for abortions that are elective.

Do you know that many of your state employees and county/city employees have insurance that covers elective abortions? This is not a right and I as a tax payer should not have to pay for it.

March 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. karen thomas

While I am a pro-choice Democrat, I do not disagree with the President's Executive Order if it will finally get this Health Care Reform Bill passed. No health insurance I have ever had has coverage for abortions and fortunately this has never been an issue for me or my family. If NOW believes that this bill is being passed on the backs of women, then they don't represent all pro-choice women. For the sake of families, children, the elderly parents of all women, this is a badly needed bill and if a woman is faced with the very, very unfortunate decision to have an abortion, the funds to pay for it will have to come from wherever everyone with health insurance currently gets their funding since no policy I am familiar with covers abortion.

March 21, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Jeremy

Wow NOW.

I respect someone's right to choose. But respect my right to not want to pay for your abortion.

Pay for it yourself, women.

March 21, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Pro Life Dem

Go Obama!

It's great to finally see some democrats standing up for life. And no, pro-lifers are not all religious zealots...

Sonograms don't lie. An embryo is a distinct, unique being that is fully human. While it is difficult in many cases, life needs to be protected and cherished from conception.

If someone put me into a chamber with no oxygen, and said, "See this person cannot survive unless we supply them with an oxygen tank," then I would say- "Don't define my personhood by my environment."

March 21, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Amanda N.

I'm strongly pro-choice and am saddened by having to add this to the bill in order for it to pass. So long as our rights as women and families to our choice to terminate a pregnancy and to decide what is best for us and our families is not in stamped out though I do understand the compromise that must be made to pass this very important piece of legislation. It is unfortunate however that the only people affected by this are those that would not be able to afford the procedure without the support of their insurance, which will just have the affect of keeping the poorest of Americans poor and without choices. I believe that most women and families that choose this procedure are doing so because the alternative is fraught with great risk, such as when the life and safety of the mother are in jeopardy, and those that cannot afford the procedure now will be exposed to those risks unduly.

I am however glad that we are passing some sort of reform, and I do understand that compromise must be made to do the best for the most. Bless this nation, and I am thankful that we are making some sort of progress in fixing a broken system.

March 21, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Mike Shapiro

If POTUS did everything the progressives and leftos wanted all this time in regard to this and to homosexual issues, he and his allies would be blown out of office very quickly and then you would get nothing. Grow up and face that politics is the art of the possible.

March 21, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Sheri F. Eugene, Oregon

I am a woman, I am pro-choice, I have a daughter. I do not feel that President Obama has broken my faith or anything else for that matter! If our country can FINALLY take even one step forward to reform our healthcare system for men, women AND children then "pile it on my back" as N.O.W. claims! I'm a very strong woman, I can, will and WANT to take it if that means we can quickly pass healthcare reform to help millions of people NOW! It doesn't have to always mean MY way or nothing at all for anyone else decade after decade, after decade..!
    Go Healthcare Reform! Go President Obama!!

March 21, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. valjean

Yet another lie from the lips of this president. For those of us who remember the heart-breaking stories of botched back-alley abortions before pro-choice this is one more bit of proof that this administration does not value all Americans and is capable of anything to save face. Shame on this man, the democratic party and everything they represent falsely.

March 21, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Bill

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.... Personally, I'm pro-choice, but I don't believe taxpayers should fund abortions unless it is out of medical necessity.

March 21, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. 1GregM

WoW!!! It is pretty late in the hour for a group as large as NOW to finally comprehend this president is a liar and a scammer and has been playing people for just over a year now. The sock puppet in chief is nothing more than a shill for voices in the background and it would be better to throw your tantrams at the real reson this bill is being foisted on the American people. If you're going to be finally engaged in the discussin at least get it right NOW.

March 21, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Tony

It's one thing to have abortions be legal in this country and it's another matter completely to force every tax-paying American to fund the nation's abortions.
    You are right, President Obama did campaign as a pro-choice president, and he has certainly kept his word on that. He has also said on quite a few occasions that the health care bill will not fund abortions. He he has not kept his word on that, supposing that this Executive Order does in fact hold the same weight as something a little more explicit in the bill itself.
    I also find it interesting that you chose to spin the pro-life stance as "anti-choice." I've seen this before, but it's obviously just an attempt to make it seem like the pro-choice people are somehow evil and for some reason wish to suppress women and their freedom, when, in reality, they are trying to expand freedom – the most fundamental freedom, that is, the right to life (from conception until natural death).

March 21, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  15. colirob

these idiots can't seem to understand that the most important thing is that all americans will finally be able afford to go to the doctor. this measure is necessary to pass the bill but just like every other special interest group, they care only about themselves and their interests.

March 21, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |