March 21st, 2010

NOW 'incensed' over anti-abortion executive order

National Organization for Women President Terry O'Neill issued a statement Sunday afternoon slamming President Obama, saying that he had broken his faith with women by agreeing to issue an executive order that prohibits federal funding for abortions.

"The National Organization for Women is incensed that President Barack Obama agreed today to issue an executive order designed to appease a handful of anti-choice Democrats who have held up health care reform in an effort to restrict women's access to abortion. Through this order, the president has announced he will lend the weight of his office and the entire executive branch to the anti-abortion measures included in the Senate bill, which the House is now prepared to pass.

"President Obama campaigned as a pro-choice president, but his actions today suggest that his commitment to reproductive health care is shaky at best. Contrary to language in the draft of the executive order and repeated assertions in the news, the Hyde Amendment is not settled law - it is an illegitimate tack-on to an annual must-pass appropriations bill. NOW has a longstanding objection to Hyde and, in fact, was looking forward to working with this president and Congress to bring an end to these restrictions. We see now that we have our work cut out for us far beyond what we ever anticipated. The message we have received today is that it is acceptable to negotiate health care on the backs of women, and we couldn't disagree more."

1. Ray

NOW's lack of big-picture vision is depressing, but then again what more can you expect from a lobbyist? NOW would rather we deny health care to millions than leave their precious provision out of the bill, I guess.

March 21, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  2. LH

Do you really think Obama cares what anyone thinks?.....or what he promised?

Does anyone really think this administration cares about the people of this country?

Lost my vote....lost my respect. Now I just hope his hands are tied after November so he can't do any more damage.

March 21, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lewis

True to its eugenics background, NOW continues to champion the rights of an elite group of women: those already born. NOW should be grateful that not every woman who becomes pregnant chooses to abort her child. It would only take one generation before NOW would run out of potential constituents.

March 21, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  4. 1Greg M

The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry capable of entrusting a man like him with the presidency. It will be easier to limit and undo the follies of an Obama presidency than to restore the necessary common sense and good judgment to a depraved electorate willing to have such a man for their president. The problem is much deeper and far more serious than Mr. Obama, who is a mere symptom of what ails us. Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince. The republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president.

March 21, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Peter Boyle

Wow, NOW truly is run by the kook-fringe wing of the feminist movement. I am sorta undecided about this whole abortion thing, though i tend to lean towards opposition of it, but wow NOW is really blowing their top over this.

March 21, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  6. IndyVoter

I am a Democrat who supports women's rights and President Obama, but I do not think that federal funds should be used to fund people's personal abortions. If it is their choice then they should bear the responsibility of seeing that decision through. I don't support it any more than I supported federal funds being used to pay Cheney's personal cronies at Haliburton et al.

March 21, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Gulfwind

Ladies, you make the choice to engage in sexual activity that resulted in your pregnancy. Therefore, you get to pay for your abortion. My tax dollar will not pay for your poor choice and lack of responsibility.

March 21, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Indyman

It's too bad that NOW, a dying organization, is not putting their efforts into education and contraceptive information out to the public. If NOW is so concerned with "reproductive health" of women, perhaps the PREVENTION of unwanted pregnancies should be the focus, not killing unborn babies. What kind of choice is that? The selfishness of NOW to place this issue as priority over Health Care for all Americans is downright ignorant. No, I'm not a Tea Bagger, nor a Republican or Democrat, but a person who wants sensible Americans to take control of their own lives by making intelligent choices.

March 21, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Bubba J

NOW needs to get over itself. Any piece of legislation involves compromise. Unfortunately, NOW seems to think it is exempt from such democratic principles.

I for one am opposed to the health care reform. It just brings us one step closer to socialism where the elite subsidize the poor. Yet, I also respect the democratic process. Perhaps the one thing NOW and I can agree on is to vote out incumbents in November. Our government disgusts me.

March 21, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Jack

I am generally pro life and "choice tolerant" but I never understand why organizations take this all or nothing stance. I see no reason why federal dollars should go to kill anything more than they currently do. I would like a lot less killing with my tax dollars in general. If your position is that the federal dollars should go to abortion, would you be equally as passionate that federal dollars go to help the poor buy guns? Sounds pretty dumb, but technically guns were called out as a protected right and not every gun takes a life where technically every abortion does. Bottom line, protect a womans right to choose, and a persons right to keep arms, but don't assume that a lack of federal funding means that these rights are lost. it simply means that right to choose takes it's rightful place next to freedom of religion and gun right which are also not federally funded but are fully supported.

March 21, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Kathleen

Not a surprise to me. So many politicians have very little respect for women, even as they compaign to promote women's rights and issues. When it was important for Obama to get his watered-down unpopular health bill through to show how powerful he is, he sold women down the river, like those before him. Women, quit looking at those men's fake smiles and "nice" family photos when they run for office. Start looking at their records and what they really say. Now vote them all out and call for impeachment!

March 21, 2010 at 7:04 pm | Report abuse |
  12. joyce

NOW is not connected to reality. Without this health reform Women, children and pregnant women would suffer the most. Its a concession that does not infringe on a woman's right to an abortion. Most importantly, there are other avenues, beside the federal government, funding for abortions. Health care reform is key. I am confident that President Obama still remains a pro-choice President. I am equally confident that he fully understands that this concession as this time was essential so that this bill would pass. NOW, instead of whining, should act mature and accept the reality of the situation.

March 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Eddie B.

I am Pro-Choice,but I am against federal funding for abortion unless in cases of rape, incest, and if the life of the woman is threatened. Far left proponents can not expect the President to give any additional coverage. This is unrealistic.

March 21, 2010 at 7:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. T-Man

Way to go Dem's, While NOW and every other groupp that did not get it 100% there way, will complain, the President and the Democrats are doing the right thing, The Republicans offer nothing but objection to any and everything. I saw Ms Bauckman on tv today, and she was embarassing, could not bring herself to speak the truth about pre exsisting conditions being helpful to people. That pretty much says it all about her and her followers, what a joke.

It's all about brining down the President, they don't give a damn about everyday people in this country. To the Speaker , Leader Reid and President Obama, keep on fighting for us, those of us that help put you there, will help keep you there, I thank god you are there.

God Bless!

March 21, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Bill crenshaw

This is outrageous that the President would cave to these anti-women's rights, right wing creeps. As a gay man I know he would be happy to trade away my rights- if we had them.

March 21, 2010 at 7:06 pm | Report abuse |