March 22nd, 2010

GOP site rallies to 'Fire Pelosi' after health care passes

The morning after the House voted to pass a landmark health care reform bill opposed by all Republicans the GOP had a new goal in its sights: Fire Nancy Pelosi.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who helped lead the charge to pass the measure, the biggest expansion of federal health care guarantees since Medicare and Medicaid were enacted more than four decades ago, is now the target of the GOP.

This morning if you were to go to the GOP Web site, you are redirected to the site http://www.firenancypelosi.com/ which shows the House speaker in front of a background of flames and tells donors that if Republicans take 40 seats from the Democrats in November it means "No More Madam Speaker."

The RNC has set a goal of raising $402,010 in 40 hours (which is certainly no coincidence) to help gain the funds to try to support knocking Pelosi off her perch. The site also asks you to "Tweet firebomb" - a sort of version of spamming your friends - using the hashtag #FirePelosi to try to gain growing support for the movement

By 7:30 a.m. the RNC had raised $189,005, according to the site.

1. Jenny

Does anyone wonder why it took the democratic party with the majority so long to pass this bill? Does anyone wonder why Obama and Pelosi had so much trouble getting their own party to agree on this that they had to put in numerous sweetheart deals and then hold congress prisoner until they finally broke them? What is the law on signing under duress?

March 22, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  2. SO...

Who's paying for it? I am taking measures, at any cost, to make sure that I don't. My new motto. "My money is my money. ALL OF IT"

March 22, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  3. Take my money please

Edward said it took courage for the dems to do what they did. Courage? I guess it does take a certain amount of courage to steal from all of us and our children for generations. What a courageous bunch of leaders we have. I'm so proud!

March 22, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  4. LMN

Just like the Republicans to not only come together to try and block a good thing that will help the people of this country but when they do not succeed they pull this immature stunt. Never been a huge fan of Pelosi but at the same time – the woman helped to bring the right of healthcare to our country. Truly sad that people are getting so hyped up by the Republicans that they are going out demonstrating in DC but how many of them have actually sat down and read the bill and understood it? It would be great if people could think for themselves instead of being puppets being controlled by few rich Republicans who don't need this plan. It is the Republicans who are out of touch with the average American. Truly sad!

March 22, 2010 at 9:46 am | Report abuse |
  5. J.Powell

I believe the Republicans are on the wrong side of history when it comes to health care. They don't understand that health care is a right not a privilege. The Democratic party has truly proved they are on the side of the middle class.

March 22, 2010 at 9:47 am | Report abuse |
  6. frank

Please don't suggest that the GOP change leadership-the fools running the GOP show now have proposed no solutions to the very problems this bill addresses and would rather personalize their approach than try to solve the nation's problems. And Miss Daisy, I have read the bill, and the tax increases you refer to affect only those with Cadillac insurance plans and those with AGI over $250,000 or more. As for Medicare, this bill extends its current life by at least 10 years, according to the non-partisan CBO. Did you read the same bill, or hear summaries of it on Fox News?

March 22, 2010 at 10:03 am | Report abuse |
  7. Chuckling

I hope the Democrats remember to use this article when the Republicans start trying to take credit for health care somewhere down the line. That will be the time to start sending this to everyone.

March 22, 2010 at 10:04 am | Report abuse |
  8. tara

Republicans are a HOT MESS. Once the rhetoric dies down and families start enjoying the immediate benefits regarding their children's pre existing conditions or being able to insure your college aged child until they get a decent job everyone will be singing this Bills praises. The GOP played this all wrong. And for those of you complaining the bill was broken....just wait. All the things that got left out so that we could get this initial push passed will be put back in amendments. Public option will be back! I applaud Obama and Pelosi for making the deals they had to make to get the job done. Now we control the story from here on out.

March 22, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  9. Rod

Pelosi, Obama, and Biden are leading this country to bankruptcy and hell.

March 22, 2010 at 10:06 am | Report abuse |
  10. Garth

As an Independent – both parties act shamelessly like spoiled children.

I have to say I do like that finally something happened in terms of better access to health care. As a father of 3, with another on the way, knowing that IF something happened to me, my kids would still get access to health care is a bit of relief. Yes I have private insurance, yes I have life insurance, but all we are talking here is general access to health care. I am all for this.

This bill, soon to be law, was not actual health care reform, but rather insurance access. For true reform, we need to go the next step, and adjust what can be charged for services – why is a tylenol at the hospital $50, when I can buy a bottle of 100 for all of $8.00 at the local drug store? I would think, buying in the bulk levels that hospitals can, that they could get them at what, $..02 a pill, if even that much? THIS is the area we need to look at next. If we fix that part of the system, then the overall costs, both to private and to public insurers, drop significantly, and we can all afford adequate health care with less government assistance.

March 22, 2010 at 10:07 am | Report abuse |
  11. Wallace

Interesting, checking stock prices this morning, the drug companies, insurance companies, and hospital stocks are all higher. Seems the Dems made a deal with them by attacking on rheotric but actually rewarding them with more forced customers and fees

March 22, 2010 at 10:10 am | Report abuse |
  12. Bill

I love how everyone wants to blame the GOP for every problem every created in this country, but when Democrats get called to task for bad decisions, the GOP are "being mean" or being bullies, "stooping to new lows".

Funny, my wages and income have increased over the past 8 years, except since Obama got elected. Is that his fault, no. However I find it ironic that the Hope and Change candidate certainly did change things for a middle class person like me. My income did not increase this last year, but I paid more in taxes. Even with more deductions from the previous year, due to purchasing a new home (with no government aid) I still paid more income tax.

That's hope and change right there. Take from those that bust their butts, and give to those who don't, or who didn't make good plans for a crisis, or didn't save enough for when one befell them.

Drive up the deficit, devalue the dollar, take more from the people and claim it is all for their own good.

March 22, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ed R

Curious – not one single independent minded yes vote from the Republican side. Talk about mind control and fear

March 22, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  14. Facepalm

Dude, the first person they should fire is their webmaster. That page looks so unprofessional and ugly. Its almost like they put it together in just under an hour. That and they are classless hacks are the real shames here.

March 22, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  15. Candy Taylor

I hope everyone sees these republicans for the thugs they are. If you can think, vote against these politicans that disgrace our history. Vote democrat, independent anything but for them!

March 22, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |