March 22nd, 2010

Tweets from the Hill: Lawmakers on health care

The passing of health care reform in Washington, D.C., last night has sparked strong emotions from politicians, both Democrats and Republicans.

After some strong, intense words from both sides in the chamber last night, many key lawmakers hit the press circuit this morning - appearing on morning shows and cable news shows to share their thoughts. But the intense sentiments aren't ending there - lawmakers are making their thoughts known to their constituents on Twitter. Below is a sampling of the latest tweets from those on the Hill:

[Updated 11:47 a.m.]

avatar House Democrats: The dawn of quality affordable health care for all: http://bit.ly/cKdPmO #hcr #photo

avatar R-TN Marsha Blackburn: Help send Nancy Pelosi a message. We will stand with the American people this Nov to fight every step of the way http://tinyurl.com/ygz24dl

avatar R-CA George Radanovich: I would like to set the record straight and be clear that I did not make the statement calling Rep. Stupak a "Baby Killer".

[Posted at 9:57 a.m.]

avatar R-OH John Boehner: Virginia will sue the Federal Government over Dems’ unconstitutional #hcr bill http://ow.ly/1pjMV #hcr

avatar R-FL Vern Buchanan: Does passage of the Obama health care bill reflect the will of the American people? #hcr #hc

avatar D-CA George Miller: RT @whitehouse: Pfeiffer: "Reform Begins." Learn about the benefits kicking in this year http://bit.ly/anv4ta #hcr

avatar D-MN Keith Ellison: Now, let's get a real jobs bill, real fonancial reform bill, and real immigration reform. We did this; we can do more!

avatar R-WI Paul Ryan: This is not who we are. Now the fight begins. http://tinyurl.com/yh5wkhf

avatar D-ME Michael Michaud: My statement from last night on health insurance reform package: http://tinyurl.com/yd965av

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: There's no bill passed by one Congress that can't be repealed by another.

avatar R-SC Robert Inglis: What do you do when Congress passes a bad bill? You get a new Congress to repeal it!

avatar R-CA Darrell Issa: Good morning. I'm sure you have a lot to say on #ObamaCare's passage. Here are my first impressions (http://bit.ly/cKn390) #killthebill

1. cornfused

I see comments about how everyone will now have great healthcare. This bill does nothing to provide insurance despite what we are told. The only ones to be provided with insurance will be those who are poor and they deserve it. Everyone else will be required to buy theirs. When auto insurance became manditory I watched the rates go up and up. That did not help and this probably won't either. I would have gladly backed a health plan that would be like Canada's or the UK's but this is nothing like it. "Free" health care would have benifited everyone but this is not what we were given. I hope it works because this is my country, I am not fron Canada so I have a personal stake in it. This could have been a monumental step forward for the US but I can't help but feel let down again.

March 22, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Report abuse |
  2. John Scott

So much selfishness in this debate. I pay $700 per month for insurance for my family of 5. If I had lost my job, thanks to an economy destroyed by reckless spending by a terrbile former "conservative" president, these costs would have doubled...at least. O, wait, in California...rates just went up over 30% about a month ago.

Most of us, both Republican and Democrat, are just one health problem away from losing everything. To know that my 3 children and my wife are covered if I am laid off, means everything to me and is worth every penny I have.

I would gladly pay higher taxes if it means that would mean that my family and all AMERICANS don't have to worry about those times when their bodies fail them. It's too bad that everyone doesn't have this sense of society and realize that we are only as rich as our poorest and only as stong as our weakest. Raise all of our citizens up and we are all much better off.

I am not a believer in socialism...just common sense. I am a straight up American Capitalist to the end. If this were socialism, these alleged 30 million new healthcare recipients wouldn't be insured by private insurance companies who will make billions off this. BUT...If I had my choice...we would have a single payer system like that in England, France, Canada. A healthy country relies on the health of it's citizens. Since we are supposed to be the leader in this world, why have so many lesser countries surpassed us on this issue?

Health is a right and our governement is supposed to work for us all...not just the wealthy and priviliged who can afford it without a 2nd thought.

March 22, 2010 at 3:45 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dave Brantley

I can't believe that in 2010 protesters would shout racial slurs at a member of the US Congress or anyone for that matter. There is NOTHING patriotic about racism!

March 22, 2010 at 7:27 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Dave Brantley

To Confused,
    The stipulation that 85% of premiums must go to actual health care may help, but what would really help would be THE PUBLIC OPTION!

March 22, 2010 at 7:45 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dan

Why are people so afraid of the word "socialism"? The fact is that the U.S. is a country that for decades has combined democracy with socialism and is therefore properly termed a socialist republic. The socialist aspects, in fact, are extremely popular: Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security. Threaten to take these away and the rabid anti-socialists foam at the mouth.

March 23, 2010 at 7:30 am | Report abuse |
  6. O. Geoffrion

The Republican Party is full of hypocrisy and lacking in human compassion - they claim to be prol-life (for the unborn) but would deny health care for those already born into this world who cannot afford to pay for it. They of course enjoy a neat government health insurance package for themselves and their families!

March 23, 2010 at 11:22 am | Report abuse |
  7. Neither Republican nor Democratic

For all the people making racial/Republican comments. Don't forget that it was a Republican president who issued the Emancipation Proclamation freeing the slaves.

I must say the stereotypes regarding Republicans are silly. I am from a Christian/Republican background, I can say the modern day church is a great example of our society. The poor congregants in my church were almost all Democratic and didn't give the tithe (10% of their income) to the church. But the "wealthier" hard working congregants were almost all Republican and they gave 10% and more.

I am now seeing and hearing both parties who are against this "reform" and all they are doing is trying to protect the coverage they've worked so hard to have.

Also, with the tax increase on employers, isn't that going to discourage new jobs???

It just seems that creating a new handout isn't a good idea. My wife works in healthcare and at every job she's worked, there have always been scores of patients who have 0 coverage. They walk in, get treated, walk out and never pay a dime. How about addressing this and helping hospitals that suffer because of this.

March 23, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dave Brantley

Dan, I think labels are destructive. You are right there are socialist aspects to our society, but some people get so hung up on the label that they lose track of the value. A benefit to a single payor system like France has is the elimination of duplicate administrative systems that exist for Medicare and Medicaid systems. We need to put our money into patient care by lowering overheads.

March 23, 2010 at 1:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. R Disalve

How about all the politicians that get the benefit of taxpayers footing the bill for thier health care start paying the full premiums out of thier own pocket. Then if they don't have a medical condition, they can try shoppinging on thier own and pay for it. My guess is that a large percentage of the politicians won't be able to buy the coverage from any private sector company because of a pre-existing condition. They sure as hell fixed the loophole they found that would have made them have to scurry to get coverage in the recent legislation passed.
    Has one private insurer yet stepped to the plate and offered to for go waiting for the magic date that pre existing conditions will no longer be allowed or lowered rates or make it gender and age nuetral? The will continue to gouge and price people out of the market. Then one majic day they will make like every thing is good and they are realy here to help the people, but not until they have filled thier coffers between now and the magic date.

Why are you screwing with this make everything mandatoy now! The private insurance companies will sure as hell find a way to stay in business. They waste more money on lobbyist and advertising than it would cost be bring health care premiums down to a reasonable price.

May 7, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Hayden Robertson

breast enhancement procedures are getting more and more popular these days`-'

September 30, 2010 at 2:22 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Decking Kits

breast enhancements are expensive and can have some nasty side effects~;"

October 18, 2010 at 2:15 am | Report abuse |
  12. Cooker Hoods ·

my girlfriend had her breast enhancement procedure done just last week and the results are awesome .

November 7, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |