March 29th, 2010

Monday's intriguing people

Rep. Steve Driehaus: The Ohio Democrat says that the protests outside his Cincinnati home have become "threatening" and "personal."

The Washington Post reports that half  the calls to the congressman's office last week thanked him for voting for health care legislation. The other half included death threats and personal attacks.

Driehaus told the newspaper, "The other side has waged a campaign of misinformation and fear, and that's what people are reacting to. I understand people are going to criticize my decisions - I'm an elected official - but my wife, my kids, my neighbors are out of bounds."

Washington Post: Political vitriol follows congressman home to Ohio

Debbie Landis: The president of a Reno, Nevada, grass-roots group called Anger is Brewing helped organize this past weekend's "Showdown in Searchlight," which some protesters dubbed "a conservative Woodstock."

Demonstrators marched to the hometown of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to show their displeasure toward big government and the recent passage of health care reform. The Las Vegas Sun reports that some 8,000 people took part.

Landis told the Sun, "We are peaceful, we are off our couch, and we are going to take this country back."

According to the Anger is Brewing Web site, the group has "anger" in its name because "Besides fear, anger is the only emotion that leads directly into action, and we are not afraid."

Various Tea Party Express groups are now on a "Just Vote Them Out!" 42-city bus tour and are scheduled to arrive in Washington, D.C., on April 15 - tax day.

Las Vegas Sun: Tea Party draws faithful, but important work awaits

CNN: Palin opens Tea Party protest in Reid's hometown

Anger is Brewing Web site

Craig Becker: One of President Obama's recess appointments to the National Labor Relations Board quickly triggered intense opposition from business groups and Republicans, who called the appointee a radical who represents a White House gift to labor unions.

Obama announced Saturday that he will make recess appointments of 15 nominees to administration posts who are awaiting confirmation by the full Senate. None has generated nearly as much outcry as Becker, who is currently a general counsel for the Service Employees International Union and for the AFL-CIO. He has taught at the law schools of the University of Chicago and Georgetown University, among other places.

Last Thursday, all 41 Republican senators signed a letter urging Obama not to appoint Becker, saying it would "bypass the advice and consent traditions of the Senate."

CNN: Obama appointment to labor board sparks opposition

Eric Adams: The New York state senator has purchased six 22-foot billboards in Brooklyn, asking young people to keep their pants up.

Adams, a Democrat, told the New York Daily News, "Children will be children. But as adults, we need to be on record and tell them they're doing something wrong."

The image on each billboard, which goes up Monday, is of two young men whose pants hang low enough to reveal their underwear, accompanied by the messages "Stop the Sag!" and "We are better than this!"

Adams is a former New York Police Department captain and co-founder of the organization 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care.

New York Daily News: State senator urges youth to pull up saggy pants

J.D. Shapiro: The first screenwriter of the flop movie "Battlefield Earth" wrote in Sunday's New York Post, "Out of all the sucky movies, mine is the suckiest."

The newspaper reports that the blockbuster bomb, based on the novel by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, recently won the Razzie for "Worst Movie of the Decade." Shapiro, who also wrote the screenplay for "Robin Hood: Men in Tights," picked up the award in person.

In the New York Post essay, Shapiro apologizes to anyone who saw the movie, which starred John Travolta, and explains he was eventually fired as screenwriter when he refused to incorporate changes desired by the film's producers into the script.

He writes, "Out of all the books L. Ron wrote, this was the one the church founder wanted most to become a movie. He wrote extensive notes on how the movie should be made."

New York Post: Screenwriter: I penned the suckiest movie ever – sorry

J.D. Shapiro's official Web site

1. Andrew

That billboard is probably going to get graffitied.

March 29, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Ben

The more you tell youths to stop something that may annoy adults, the more they will continue to do it or even escalate their behavior. At this point, we should consider ourselves lucky that they are wearing pants at all.

March 29, 2010 at 12:09 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Art

Sometimes I'll go up to a kid wearing their pants down and say matter of factly; "Hey, did you know your pants are falling off?" They look at me like I was asking them to explain the theory of relativity. Great laughs!

March 29, 2010 at 12:10 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Alyanna

I am throughly confused when people, not just politicians but when people in general say what the American people want. Neither I nor my circle family, colleagues or friends have ever been polled/asked what we want. My circle spans the country, from AZ. to TX to DC to NY to SD to IL. So...my confusion comes from who are "the American people"?

And to James. To blame the Dems for all that is worng with America is both childish and it demostrates your lack of knowledge and short, very short memory. You need only to go back as to 2000-2008 to be reminded of Rep regin of terror, and systemtic ruin of America. It's my guess that you're also a Palin fan.

March 29, 2010 at 12:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Kate

Silly people – the best way to make them stop is for old people to join the fashion and do it too. No kid wants to part of the old generation and will pull up his pants in a trice!

March 29, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Sam

I agree with Duane (1st post). The entire adult population should adopt this fashion style for about a month or two. Our youth will start wearing blazers and ties as a reaction.

March 29, 2010 at 12:16 pm | Report abuse |
  7. DeeDee

Kids are only rebelling the same way they have always done. In my lifetime I have seen kids listen to banned rock-n-roll, banned Beatles, banned Simon & Garfunkel, banned Beatle haircuts, the first boy in our school to die his hair blond was suspended until he dyed it back to light brown. The way of dressing, which I don't like, is their way. When we stop screaming about it, the novelty will wear off, unless they trip and fall and hurt themselves first. Quite frankly, If this is all we have to complain about with kids nowadays, we are lucky. Leave them alone and let them dress the way they wish, as long as I'm not seeing everything, big deal. Quite frankly, low-slung pants are way less revealing than the short-shorts some girls wear.

March 29, 2010 at 12:21 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Eric

Seriously????? Children in the US can not read and write. Children in the US can not compete globally because poor math skills. Yet the issue is sagging pants? Please tell me Congressmen you are kidding? I do believe your time and money would be better spent on curbing ignorance and violence. Fashion should not even be on the radar!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 29, 2010 at 12:26 pm | Report abuse |
  9. joe

ban revealing skinny jeans as well. This is the USA and you can wear your pants anyway you want as long as your banned flesh is not exposed. this is just another race based complaint even if it does come from a dem.

March 29, 2010 at 12:28 pm | Report abuse |
  10. joe

This is the USA you can wear your pants anyway you want as long as your banned flesh is not showing. Ban bulging speedoes or skinny jeans, women with lots of cleavage or thongs at the beach. Oh wait! only ban the silly style that effects african americans the most. pathetic

March 29, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Nik

Stop the abuse would be the Democrats cry for help. Lets Keep the Republicans off our backs and fight back with facts about the Republicans and do our Bus tour in Republicans cities. Democrats don't take it lying down. Republicans are the ones who outsourced your jobs in the first place under the last adminstration. I would like to see Moderates and Liberals take aim back at the Republicans those on the far right. They keep aiming on the far left, time to turn it back the other way. At least Obama got things done right and was smart about it.

March 29, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  12. R. A. Williamson

Regarding low-riding pants - I quietly ask the wearer if he knows it looks like he had dropped a load in his pants? This seems to get the point made.

March 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Report abuse |
  13. TomM

I like seeing the kids with their pants sagging. It lets me know who not to hire and who not to help. I wouldn't give an extra spit to help some saggy pants tard.

March 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  14. jamine in west columbia

I was a teenager in the 70s and wore the low as I could get them hiphuggers that were dragging on the ground past my leather sandals. We showed our bellys even if they were best left to the imagination. We did this because it was cool and then we grew up.

Leave these kids alone, I saw a kid walking the other day, thought he was so cool with his saggin and baggin pants and guess what? They fell off him and everyone just laughed and I saw the cool kid change to an embarresed kid and he too will grow up and not wear these clothes. Lets show these kids some love.

March 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Shu Master

Lookin like a fool! Wit ya pants on the ground.....

March 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm | Report abuse |