March 29th, 2010

Monday's intriguing people

Rep. Steve Driehaus: The Ohio Democrat says that the protests outside his Cincinnati home have become "threatening" and "personal."

The Washington Post reports that half  the calls to the congressman's office last week thanked him for voting for health care legislation. The other half included death threats and personal attacks.

Driehaus told the newspaper, "The other side has waged a campaign of misinformation and fear, and that's what people are reacting to. I understand people are going to criticize my decisions - I'm an elected official - but my wife, my kids, my neighbors are out of bounds."

Washington Post: Political vitriol follows congressman home to Ohio

Debbie Landis: The president of a Reno, Nevada, grass-roots group called Anger is Brewing helped organize this past weekend's "Showdown in Searchlight," which some protesters dubbed "a conservative Woodstock."

Demonstrators marched to the hometown of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to show their displeasure toward big government and the recent passage of health care reform. The Las Vegas Sun reports that some 8,000 people took part.

Landis told the Sun, "We are peaceful, we are off our couch, and we are going to take this country back."

According to the Anger is Brewing Web site, the group has "anger" in its name because "Besides fear, anger is the only emotion that leads directly into action, and we are not afraid."

Various Tea Party Express groups are now on a "Just Vote Them Out!" 42-city bus tour and are scheduled to arrive in Washington, D.C., on April 15 - tax day.

Las Vegas Sun: Tea Party draws faithful, but important work awaits

CNN: Palin opens Tea Party protest in Reid's hometown

Anger is Brewing Web site

Craig Becker: One of President Obama's recess appointments to the National Labor Relations Board quickly triggered intense opposition from business groups and Republicans, who called the appointee a radical who represents a White House gift to labor unions.

Obama announced Saturday that he will make recess appointments of 15 nominees to administration posts who are awaiting confirmation by the full Senate. None has generated nearly as much outcry as Becker, who is currently a general counsel for the Service Employees International Union and for the AFL-CIO. He has taught at the law schools of the University of Chicago and Georgetown University, among other places.

Last Thursday, all 41 Republican senators signed a letter urging Obama not to appoint Becker, saying it would "bypass the advice and consent traditions of the Senate."

CNN: Obama appointment to labor board sparks opposition

Eric Adams: The New York state senator has purchased six 22-foot billboards in Brooklyn, asking young people to keep their pants up.

Adams, a Democrat, told the New York Daily News, "Children will be children. But as adults, we need to be on record and tell them they're doing something wrong."

The image on each billboard, which goes up Monday, is of two young men whose pants hang low enough to reveal their underwear, accompanied by the messages "Stop the Sag!" and "We are better than this!"

Adams is a former New York Police Department captain and co-founder of the organization 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care.

New York Daily News: State senator urges youth to pull up saggy pants

J.D. Shapiro: The first screenwriter of the flop movie "Battlefield Earth" wrote in Sunday's New York Post, "Out of all the sucky movies, mine is the suckiest."

The newspaper reports that the blockbuster bomb, based on the novel by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, recently won the Razzie for "Worst Movie of the Decade." Shapiro, who also wrote the screenplay for "Robin Hood: Men in Tights," picked up the award in person.

In the New York Post essay, Shapiro apologizes to anyone who saw the movie, which starred John Travolta, and explains he was eventually fired as screenwriter when he refused to incorporate changes desired by the film's producers into the script.

He writes, "Out of all the books L. Ron wrote, this was the one the church founder wanted most to become a movie. He wrote extensive notes on how the movie should be made."

New York Post: Screenwriter: I penned the suckiest movie ever – sorry

J.D. Shapiro's official Web site

1. MATT

sad that there is not a more pressing issue than kids pulling their pants up... who cares! i'd rather see boxer than a brown eye

March 29, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. db

Paul – You really made me smile and made my day! More adults should be an influence like you.

March 29, 2010 at 12:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Marianne

This is HILARIOUS> I am an old fat white woman. I think I'll go around with my pants draped around my lower rump and see how far I get. lol ...... and if anyone tells me to PULL THEM UP , I'll flip them the bird or say, "UP YOURS BUDDY" . Oh yeah, I can see that being a Red Hat Lady is going to be loads of fun.

March 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jae

This is for John who says that we are keeping RACISM alive by talking about RACISTS. RU kidding me. How bout this: you not talk about the PRESIDENT and Health Care that that will go away too right. Why protest and send blogs saying your not a RACIST, if you dont say a word, it will go away right? Follow your own advice, then people may not call you RACIST. I wonder if you wrote Blogs about 7 years ago when YOUR PRESIDENT(I mean VP) Bush said we are going to war because of Weapons of Mass Destruction. Where was your outrage to this LIE to Americans. This was and is far far far more destructive than giving people health care to make sure that Children in our Country (you know, our Future) are taken care of. But Wait, Adam Smith said, "Everyone out for themselves." I forgot.

March 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Realistic

James, you are an idiot. Do you think that people should threaten your life because you voice your opinion and do what you think is best? Do you have children? What if you were doing the best you could for them and someone threatened your life because they disagreed with you? Obviously, the congressmen and women voted with the majority of their constituents. Just because a few RADICALS are taking their response to the extreme, doesn't mean it is what all the people want. To me, the way these RADICALS are responding is just as bad as any person labeled a terrorist in any other part of the world...except they are worse because they are doing it here, against our own people!

March 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  6. David

My age is showing. When I was in Jr. High and High school the fad was what was called a DA haircut, leather jackets and baggy pants. Thank God the haircuts aren't back but the baggy pants are. Go kids!

March 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mc

PULL 'EM UP:
    If your pants are hanging low, then you are probably too stupid, too ignorant or just plain too angry to pull them up. To me, they are like people driving Hummers. Walking billboards that read... "I am the dumbest of the dumb".

March 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Susan

I'm a huge supporter of free speech and expression. Both topics speak to these issues. I do not agree with the tea baggers, but they're entitled to their opinions. What they (and no one else) is entitled to is to incite violence. I get that people are heated up in this country, but I don't get the strong vicious attitudes. I personally think that the healthcare bill will be good for our country. I am thrilled to know that so many currently unisured folk will now be able to receive healthcare as my family and I do. It seems like such a basic thing to me, and it really boggles my mind that so many are vehemently against the plan. I can only hope that ignorance plays a role in their not understanding the plan. Sadly it's clear that racism and other "isms" play a role in their position as well.

I also can't stand that sagging pants trend. So what though? Really aren't there bigger fish to fry? I thought that the "Pants on the Ground" song was hilarious, absolutely hilarious. However, I don't think the trend will change because of a song, or because some adults mock the style. When I think back over the years, and to when I was a teen, some of the fashion statements were just as awful, yet I saw no billboards about them. A few that come to mind: creases ironed into blue jeans and then worn with stiletto heels (or worse worn by men with ripped tees). How about the daisy dukes (you know, short shorts) with midriff baring tops? Acid washed jeans? Spandex on people who ought to know better? Overalls? Crocs? Who gives a darn what other people wear? Why are we singling out the saggy pants? If my son were to want to leave the house that way I'd probably try to dissuade him. If I were doing the purchasing I wouldn't buy pants like that for him. However, in the end, kids will find ways to express themselves.

March 29, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Martin

Trying to remain bias – for all of the Dems on this post and everywhere that are complaining about "the republicans are just voting against it because the dems support it" – it is the same thing the dems did when the republicans held office....bottom line is that Congress as a whole needs a drastic change.

March 29, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  10. blden

Take our country back? Did you not notice that we already did that.
    We took it back in November, 2008.

March 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Anonymous

Seriously, people are so worried about how others choose to dress they have to put up billboards about it? Who cares! Let people dress the way they want, if you don't like it, don't look! There are much, much more pressing issues in the world. Stop wasting money putting up signs and spend it on something useful!

March 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  12. John Wolfer

This is typical of young men these days. Just plain sloppy!! All relates back to their wonderful parental upbringing! No wonder this country is losing groung fast in the eyes of the rest of the world. Shape up folks.

March 29, 2010 at 12:58 pm | Report abuse |
  13. KittyKat

I agree that having to look at someones underwear as they walk around in public is disgusting and immature, I think there is a bigger problem with clothing that needs to be addressed. What about all of the young girls walking around showing the personal parts of their bodies trying to attract attention. Unfortunately, "boys will be boys", and these poor girls are not mature enough to realize they are attracting the wrong kind of attention. There are better ways to get attention than showing all of your physical virtues off to the entire world. Use your brains to attract attention, not your body.

March 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Shachar

I can overlook a case of plumber's butt, but otherwise I have not one interest in seeing the crack of your a** or the color of your knickers. It shows you don't care about your personal appearance. I am a veteran, so I have health care – if you can call it that. Palin is of no interest except to squirrels and all their nuts.

March 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Jacquie

We are media punched every day, and base our opinions on what we read. We, the people, must accept what we read is factual, and not exploitive for one side or the other. However, it is a tough call to distinguish best, from worst, so we must often accept better than most.

From our day to day life, it may be hard to know whether the media we read, or our opinions based on it, are making our lives any better. We get singled out for a whole lot of taxes, and once in ten years for the census, and the rest of the time we remain "the people". We "the people" cannot possibly all experience the glow of "successful" legislation, which has been submitted, and processed, by two groups of fellow "people" elected by a two party system. We have been doing pretty well for the last 200 hundred years, but new events have seriously changed the game. I, for one, am skeptical, yet hopeful. Skeptical we can legislate medical care that insures caring medical delivery. Hopeful, my judgement may be too critical. Lawyers have become really motivated in the last few decades, and doctors are looking to retire early. We are in trouble.

March 29, 2010 at 1:02 pm | Report abuse |