March 29th, 2010

Monday's intriguing people

The Washington Post reports that half  the calls to the congressman's office last week thanked him for voting for health care legislation. The other half included death threats and personal attacks.

Driehaus told the newspaper, "The other side has waged a campaign of misinformation and fear, and that's what people are reacting to. I understand people are going to criticize my decisions - I'm an elected official - but my wife, my kids, my neighbors are out of bounds."

Washington Post: Political vitriol follows congressman home to Ohio

Debbie Landis: The president of a Reno, Nevada, grass-roots group called Anger is Brewing helped organize this past weekend's "Showdown in Searchlight," which some protesters dubbed "a conservative Woodstock."

Demonstrators marched to the hometown of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid to show their displeasure toward big government and the recent passage of health care reform. The Las Vegas Sun reports that some 8,000 people took part.

Landis told the Sun, "We are peaceful, we are off our couch, and we are going to take this country back."

According to the Anger is Brewing Web site, the group has "anger" in its name because "Besides fear, anger is the only emotion that leads directly into action, and we are not afraid."

Various Tea Party Express groups are now on a "Just Vote Them Out!" 42-city bus tour and are scheduled to arrive in Washington, D.C., on April 15 - tax day.

Las Vegas Sun: Tea Party draws faithful, but important work awaits

CNN: Palin opens Tea Party protest in Reid's hometown

Anger is Brewing Web site

Craig Becker: One of President Obama's recess appointments to the National Labor Relations Board quickly triggered intense opposition from business groups and Republicans, who called the appointee a radical who represents a White House gift to labor unions.

Obama announced Saturday that he will make recess appointments of 15 nominees to administration posts who are awaiting confirmation by the full Senate. None has generated nearly as much outcry as Becker, who is currently a general counsel for the Service Employees International Union and for the AFL-CIO. He has taught at the law schools of the University of Chicago and Georgetown University, among other places.

Last Thursday, all 41 Republican senators signed a letter urging Obama not to appoint Becker, saying it would "bypass the advice and consent traditions of the Senate."

CNN: Obama appointment to labor board sparks opposition

Eric Adams: The New York state senator has purchased six 22-foot billboards in Brooklyn, asking young people to keep their pants up.

Adams, a Democrat, told the New York Daily News, "Children will be children. But as adults, we need to be on record and tell them they're doing something wrong."

The image on each billboard, which goes up Monday, is of two young men whose pants hang low enough to reveal their underwear, accompanied by the messages "Stop the Sag!" and "We are better than this!"

Adams is a former New York Police Department captain and co-founder of the organization 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement Who Care.

New York Daily News: State senator urges youth to pull up saggy pants

J.D. Shapiro: The first screenwriter of the flop movie "Battlefield Earth" wrote in Sunday's New York Post, "Out of all the sucky movies, mine is the suckiest."

The newspaper reports that the blockbuster bomb, based on the novel by Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard, recently won the Razzie for "Worst Movie of the Decade." Shapiro, who also wrote the screenplay for "Robin Hood: Men in Tights," picked up the award in person.

In the New York Post essay, Shapiro apologizes to anyone who saw the movie, which starred John Travolta, and explains he was eventually fired as screenwriter when he refused to incorporate changes desired by the film's producers into the script.

He writes, "Out of all the books L. Ron wrote, this was the one the church founder wanted most to become a movie. He wrote extensive notes on how the movie should be made."

New York Post: Screenwriter: I penned the suckiest movie ever – sorry

J.D. Shapiro's official Web site

1. lib

Oh pull the pants up!! Sick of this look and really don't understand how parents can let their sons leave the house with this look. Schools need to enforce the dress code and not let any of these boys into the schools. DO it now. Sick of the look. Really dumb look. I respect Mr. Adams multitasking and trying to solve many other issues that bother other people a lot. We should always remember to continue the Quality of Life issues in our community. This helps in more ways than you know. When people have respect for themselves then they respect others.

March 29, 2010 at 1:07 pm | Report abuse |
  2. mc

I find it hilarious when Republicans say things like Democrats bring this health care violence on themselves. Please. Democrats took eight years of torture from George W Bush. I don't remember any of this immature, redneck behavior going on then. Even after the sketchy re-election. There is no excuse for this kind of behavior at all. Just for the record, I am a registered Independent.

March 29, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Lindsay

I have gotten young men to pull their pants up by pointing and laughing with my girlfriends. Maybe the ad should show how young women feel about this ridiculous fad, I think a lot of young men would stop doing it immediately.

March 29, 2010 at 1:19 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Lindsay

Oh, and to the mom who says it's a layered look, I am talking about boys who wear their pants so low that they can't walk right. I don't mind the layered look. But I agree it seems kind of stupid to turn this fad into a big deal. Let them walk around looking stupid, isn't that what the teen years are all about?

March 29, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  5. vor

I am not attracted to guys with their pants sagging, but i do have these two comments
    1. my son is 10 and is very skinny, he gets hand me downs from older cousins. a lot of times we are out and my husband and I will say, where is your belt. he doesn't have any fashion sense, so he just leaves his belt because he forgot it or didn't want to look for it, not so he can be cool. at this point he knows leaving his belt gets him at least 30 minutes of punishment time when he gets home. i know a lot of people look at him and prejudge and we had to set a teacher straight on this because not all sagging is because some kids want to be cool.

2. am i the only one is is like why the hell did old white men where wigs and knickerbockers back in the day? no one questions that crazy look or when skateboarders carried around chains from their jeans. so it's just a look and when the look changes, no one will care.

the senator is way late, these boys have been sagging for 10+ years, i don't think a billboard is going to change the mindset of the kids in the hood.

March 29, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Matt

Boo Hoo!! Rep. Steve Driehaus: The Ohio Democrat says that the protests outside his Cincinnati home have become "threatening" and "personal." ????
    Let me tell you what else is personal and threatening, telling an American citizen that they HAVE to do something unconstitutional.

I do not feel sorry for him at all. He went against the American people and now he's crying about it. I feel my family is threatened by a president and his lacky lawmakers making ia law telling me I have to spend my money or be fined. And now he's using the media to reach out to the american people for sympathy. Well grow up you big baby.

March 29, 2010 at 1:24 pm | Report abuse |
  7. AC

Obama intelligent? Sure. He is so smart he is running this country into the ground faster than any who came before him.

So much intelligence is shown by calling names.

March 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Mike

I think everyone here is missing the silver lining. The good news is that all the 'kids' and 'young adult males' that are wearing their pants on the ground will be ok when they can't get a good job. The rest of us will get to contiue seeing their crack while we work to pay for their free health care!!

March 29, 2010 at 1:37 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Robert

James, you sound just like people in the Middle East that say "There is no justification for terrorism" then say but they brought it on themselves. There either is or isn't justification for the violence or there ISN'T. Period. End of story.

March 29, 2010 at 1:43 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Ricky

A long time criminal and con said young people would pull there pants up if they knew wearing them below their butts was a sign that they were available to be someones sex partner in prison

March 29, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Julie

To James: How can you say that the Democrats lax view on violence in video games, etc is what led to people determining that violence is okay? I mean, it's Republicans who don't support the health care bill who are becoming violent, and don't Republicans support video game censorship, by your logic? Perhaps its other things that make people violent – like a lack of personal responsibility, which cannot be blamed on Democrats. And speak for yourself when you say that Americans don't support this bill. I support it and I'm not even a Democrat, just like I'm not a Republican. I just want to see the more unfortunate people in this nation cared for. I don't have their issues of not finding or being able to afford insurance, as I have it, and I pay for it myself. However, that doesn't mean I think I'm entitled to it, and they aren't. If you don't like it, oh well. Take some responsibility for yourself, and admit that others must do the same, because blaming "the enemy" is archaic thinking.

March 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Devon Miller

People are so ignorant, WHITE SUBURBAN KIDS sag their pants... its not just a Hip-hop look. In fact most of those white kids that do sag their pants don't even listen to hi[p hop at all... Lets so addressing this issue as a problem brought on by a genre of music and focus on buying our kids pants that fat so that they don't have to sag them or teach them how to use a belt.

It takes a whole village to raise a child not just the parents.

March 29, 2010 at 2:00 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

How are the actions of the anti-health care activist any different than the pro gay activist in California? Or the idiots that had Sarah Palin and George Bush hanging in effigy? I guess the only solution to handling these type of people is to either make the university professors or mentors to the President. I don't see any difference in what these people are doing in comparison to Bill Ayers.

March 29, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  14. ken

I wish this man was running for office in my state on any ticket.He is trying change things in the right way.

March 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Teddy

Actually, its 2012 when Palin is "gonna" run. And as an Independent supporter of Obama, I agree with you that she should run. It will be an even easier victory this time if she does.

I hope that she wins the party nomination too.

Go Sarah! True blue New York needs you!

March 29, 2010 at 2:33 pm | Report abuse |