An overdose of a blood thinner may have contributed to the death of a Nebraska toddler, the Omaha hospital that treated her said Thursday.
The Nebraska Medical Center is investigating the death Wednesday of 23-month-old Almariah Duque, said hospital spokesman Paul Baltes.
The girl, who lived with her parents in Dallas, Texas, was born with a birth defect and in December had undergone a transplant at the hospital of her small intestine, pancreas and liver, Baltes said.
The hospital has one of the nation's largest intestinal rehabilitation
and transplant programs, he said.
The girl was readmitted in February after an infection and died at 5 p.m. Wednesday, the hospital said in a statement.