New details emerged Monday about how three men allegedly planned to bomb subway trains in New York around the anniversary of 9-11 last year.
Najibullah Zazi and his two co-defendants had selected specific subway stations - two of the busiest in Manhattan - and planned to inflict maximum casualties on subway trains, a federal law enforcement source said.
Zazi and the two other suspects planned to attack trains at Times Square and Grand Central stations, the source said. Wearing homemade bombs, they plotted to position themselves in the middle of busy subway cars in order to kill the most people, likely targeting the 1, 2, 3, or 6 line trains, the source said.
Zazi has cooperated with authorities since his arrest, providing information about the plot. The law enforcement source said Zazi would probably have chosen September 14 for the attack, but was also considering the 15th or 16th.
Zazi's co-defendants Adis Medunjanin and Zarein Ahmedzay are indicted in the plot and have pleaded not guilty.
All three men went to the same high school in Flushing, Queens.
The plot was foiled when the FBI began following Zazi and police stopped him on a bridge into New York. Zazi said that prompted him to dump his bomb materials and return to Denver where he was working as a shuttle driver.
Prosecutors have said they plan one or two more arrests overseas.
Zazi is scheduled for sentencing in June.