April 13th, 2010

Officials head to Russia after adopted boy's return

Top officials from the U.S. State Department plan to travel to Moscow this week to push Russia to allow adoptions by U.S. families to continue.

The trip comes after a U.S. family sparked outrage by sending an adopted 7-year-old boy back to Russia alone. Officials in Moscow have threatened to halt all adoptions by U.S. families.

"We were certainly shocked, as was everybody, about the return of the child. We are hoping to work with the Russians to continue the adoptions of children," said Michael D. Kirby, principal deputy assistant for consular affairs. "We have had over 50,000 children adopted from Russia. The vast majority are doing great here in the United States."

The woman who returned the boy, after adopting him last year, said he showed violent and psychotic behavior - and that officials in Russia had given no warning.

Read the full CNN.com story

Post by:
Filed under: Air travel • Russia • U.S.
  1. Karen

I totally agree with the person who said we have enough kids in this country who need adopting. Why aren't they being adopted?

April 13, 2010 at 9:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. maria

To Marlon Lara...totally not trying to insult or antagonize and maybe someone else already commented, but as an adoptee myself I think you should find a better phrase than this..."a child he or she must be accepted "as is". " Or word it differently...comes off to say that we're just a retail item. I know it's not what you intended, but just an FYI. I agree that this woman had NO right to do as she did, but sadly there are a lot of cruel and sad adoption stories out there. Thanksfully I was adopted by an AMAZING family and am glad to call Mom and Dad!! As for this boy, I just pray that his heart is not wounded. Poor guy, how scared and lonley he must have felt.

and also...I think adoption should be open no matter what country. It's a chance for families to build and become something that they wouldn't otherwise have. When it comes to becoming a part of a childs life, does it really matter where he/she came from? What would be for the greater good?

April 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Donna

None of us know what this mother has tried, how many programs, how many doctors. If she had this boy for a year, you can bet she did not make this decision lightly. No matter how difficult this boy may or may not have been, you form a bond after a very short time. Don't judge her too hashly or quickly. She has a broken heart I guarantee. And she has the safety of her other children to consider. Sadly, there are some children so damaged, they cannot be helped to live in normal society. ( I am an adoptive mom of two.) Put your energy into helping another child or family you know and don't judge.

April 13, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Nikolai

These adoptions MUST be stopped! This is not the first case. Almost every year or 6 months something like this or worse happens. I remember one time an american couple killed their russian adopted child. Another time, a "father" forgot his 1 year old russian adopted child in a car where he died because of summer heat (he was there whole day!). Before that there was a string of cases like this with a troubling regularity... American childless couples are simply psychos who are adopting russian children to TORTURE them. This must be stopped. I hope Russian government will put an end to this this time. Prosecutors in Tennessie are now thinking if to prosecute this couple or not... what a joke! I wonder what would happen to a usual couple (who has their own children) for abandoning their children like this! They would loose they parenting rights at minimum which would be a huge punishment. Those who adopt children treat them like pupies. Today we take them, tomorrow we throw them away.... Shame...

April 13, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Report abuse |
    • treesome

Nikolai... Like your country, the US is huge and varied and filled with difficulties. The media only finds awful things interesting to report. Give us a break here. We love children in the US; Russian, Chinese, Indian, African... we adopt them all. In my little city, I see all of these children as adoptees and they thrive. People the world over do stupid things with children, no matter the child's country of origin, every day... everywhere. Russia, too. Been catching the stories of the mothers in France and Holland who killed their newborns. NUMEROUS newborns, and buried them? Yes, people leave kids in cars in summertime. American kids die like this, too... Parents do dumb things and yes; they should be criminally investigated. The woman in Tennessee did a dreadful, dreadful thing to that little boy. But she didn't murder him. She sent him home... however THAT was supposed to work out in her buggy mind. I hope she is criminally cited and charged.

There are whackos everywhere who shouldn't have the good fortune to raise a child. But... be fair. They are not all in the US and most Russian/US adoptions go well.. And the news isn't going to report the good things parents do every day. Ask any adoptee; the majority of them are glad they were adopted.

So... take the broad view. We who are responsible and loving, do the best for our children, no matter where we find them.

August 10, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Jennifer

THis goes to show the world that we have become a throw away society and if something does'nt fit into our universe we get rid of it. This is a kid and a young one at that he is frightend being ripped from his country and brought to this strange land this person is sick and she needs help.

April 14, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse |
  6. Farrukh

Dan, the matter is what children are you going to adopt in US. I suspect the Americans who apopt Russain children are after white children – you know the majority of Russian children are white. and may there are no blacks in Russian orphanages

April 14, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Manny

Farrukh, you took the words right out of my mouth.
    Many white Americans do not want to adopt black children. I am a white person who has been able to sit unquietly and listen to many a conversation where white adults are bashing black children as "dirty, crack, AIDS infested, throwaways that their teen-age mom 's couldn't responsibly handle". I am not saying all white Americans, No, but some do think along these terms.
    As for Eastern European adoptions.......Gosh, as an Eastern European, I can tell you that many "orphanages" and I put the word in quotes because they are more like WWII concentration camp hovels, are in extremely poor conditions. Almost if not all of the children are treated with malice and lovelessness. They are hungry, under-stimulated, under-educated, and often times psychologically damaged, especially if they are older and have been exposed to years of abuse.
    Many East European parents see mentally handicapped children shameful so they put them in these places. The "orphanages" know full well that some of their charges are mentally ill. There is no therapy, there are no resources, and the agencies in East Europe will allow Americans to adopt the children without revealing their illnesses.
    I have seen it with my own eyes when i go abroad . I hear nurses and aids who work in these institutions who don't give a damn about these kids. Don't be so naive!
    As for the American mom.......did she do the wrong thing? YES!
    Was her child ill? Maybe.
    Did she offer any help during his year with the family? Who knows.
    Was the child so violent and unmanageable that the mother became desperate? possibly.
    As we can see there are a lot of unanswered questions. There are many details we are unaware of in tis case.
    And my bottom line is......children are victims, ALWAYS!!!!! no matter what the siuation. If the child is mentally ill or violent or lame or catatonic or psychopathic. The question is how do we help these children and how do we help their parents. How can we educate people to understand the intricacies of child rearing, mental health, adoption, and what it means to take responsibility for another human being.

April 15, 2010 at 11:23 am | Report abuse |