April 14th, 2010

Three-year-old shredding his way to be next Shaun White?

Wesley Muresan, a 3-year-old snowboard, is finding lots of fans on the Web

He shreds the snow, slides on the rails and grabs his board as he goes for big air like a pro.

Well, big, maybe isn't the right word - but it's big for him - considering he stands 3 feet tall and weighs 34 pounds.

YouTube: Watch Wesley's tricks
| YouTube: Watch him "shredding"

Three-year-old Wesley Muresan wants to be the next Shaun White and he's grabbing a whole lot of attention and lots of internet traffic because of his skills.

He may be small - but his tricks aren't. When his instructors first met him, the bunny hill wasn't even an option. It was half pipe for Muresan from the get-go - which according to his videos was only at the end of 2009.

"I wanna snowboard with Shaun White in his secret half pipe and do tricks," Muresan said in a YouTube video. "Half-pipe is my specialty. I like it. I go really fast like Superman."

The pint-sized power rider would love nothing more than to hit the secret pipe White created to practice his own tricks - and even if that's awhile away for now - he's starting to get a fan base unlike any 3-year-old.

He already got a slew of supporters on his Facebook fan page - all amazed at the power packed into this tiny firecracker of an athlete. And according to his fan page, he's also picking up some good statistics - in a rail jam competition for 9-year-old kids he nabbed second place by doing a 180 turn.

And now, the Web is lighting up about him. He's featured on the U.S. snowboard team site, has a YouTube video with more than 40,000 hits, and he's just getting going.

And he's even got a slight edge on the Flying Tomato - three years to be exact. Though White grew up hitting the snow early, he switched to snowboarding from skiing at age 6.

And if this kid can keep it going, perhaps he'll get his own secret half pipe of his own built for him in the future.

1. Peren

anon, you are right on the nose!

We can't abandon our dreams and become inactive for fear of potential injury or loss in the future. If that were true, we would have no organized sports at all. Definitely no football!

Maybe this youngster is courting knee replacements when he's older. So? The alternative is he spends his life playing videogames, then going to work, sitting around, getting old, sitting around, and then he leaves behind an old corpse that has no broken bones and sports the original knees. Woo-hoo! Yessir, that sounds like a life worth living, doesn't it?

I didn't think so.

Go follow your dreams. Live a full life. Find a way.

April 14, 2010 at 6:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Jamanta

Let the kid play! Most of you who are talking about knees are the ones who probably never got on a snowboard. I played basketball all my life – all the way through college and now I have been snowboarding for 5 years as a new hobby and my knees are fine!

Basketball and volleyball put a lot more stress on your joints than snowboarding. Riding bicycles puts stress on your knees!!!!

Let the kid play instead of sitting on the couch playing video games and getting fat!

April 14, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Alan W

Seriously, unless his parents were forcing him to ski moguls everyday his knees will be fine, save for any crashes that he may have. And even then kids crash on their bikes, or tweak joints during sports all the time. The kid is gonna be swarming with snow bunnies when he realizes that girls aren't icky!

April 14, 2010 at 6:40 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jackie

any 3 year old could do that with encouraging parents and some talent. He's pretty good I guess but it's not really that newsworthy. I'm sure there are lots of other little kids too that are like him. He's good though. Let his dream come true.

April 14, 2010 at 6:57 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Pete

A quick comment on the injuries. Skiing and snowboarding are inherently dangerous sports, accidents happen, but if this kid loves the sport then let him enjoy it without the pressure of the media and expectations, if he is good enough that will come later.

And a quick note about the speeds and forces on the body of skiing and snowboarding, most people will never travel faster then they would on a bicycle. It feels faster however you are traveling at maybe 15-20 mph. You are not subjecting your body to considerable greater forces than any other sport. Proper training and an understanding of how to correctly perform the activity should help protect against injury.

April 14, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. tom

shaun can not be replaced

April 14, 2010 at 8:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Kelsey

Anyone who actually snowboards knows that snowboarding doesn't mess up your knees that much...skiing is the one that does. Geez people, stop being so down on the kid! He is that good because he loves doing it and has some talent. He will be just fine. Worry about your own kids.

April 14, 2010 at 8:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Christen

Wesley is my nephew, and I can assure you that his parents do not pressure him into anything. They have to tear him away from the slopes at night. He just loves it. Of course his mom (my sister) worries, but part of being a good parent is supporting your child in what they love, providing as safe an environment as possible to learn, grow and make mistakes, teaching boundaries and consequences, etc. It's amazing how many assumptions people make about a child (and his parents) knowing NOTHING about their personal lives and situations. His older brother broke his elbow at 3 "sword-fighting a dragon" in the living room. They are just a midwestern family that got a ski pass to a local resort a couple months ago for some fun exercise–no one had any idea that Wes would be doing this stuff a couple months later. They don't care if he decides to quit tomorrow . . . they want him to be a kid and have some fun with something he clearly loves. The videos got posted on Youtube as a way for our family to see what's happening with the kids . . . no one sent them to CNN, the story just got picked up by word of mouth and spread.

April 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. bill

My God, keep this kid inside where he'll be safe playing video games and eating junk food.

Seriously.....keep shreddin' kid!!!

April 14, 2010 at 11:43 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. seth

just let the kid have fun......he'll be too old before you know it – I don't think he'll ever want to trade his bad knees in for a boring childhood....besides if he's that good his knees will be fine!

April 15, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Bob

Man, some people are such downers. Let the kid and the parents be! I'm sure that Shaun's parents are just beating themselves up for letting him do tricks–NOT!! If I had a nickel for everytime someone told me I could get hurt, I would be rich and never have done anything. I wear every bump, bruise, scratch, scar, and ache and pain with pride. I'm 50 now and have not stopped. The joy I get from doing these things (and I am sure that others get) is very satisfying. The only difference now is that I think twice about the 360 on the half-pipe (I wish). GO LITTLE MAN–TEAR IT UP!!!!

I ski and snowboard, but I'll take snowboarding over skiing any day. And if you have not tried snowboarding, you don't know what you are missing.

April 15, 2010 at 6:44 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Leslie

It is great that this child is really talented. However, Shaun White is not Shaun White just because he snowboarded at a young age well. He has the personality, focus, competitive drive, and a great mentor – Tony Hawk. That's what it took for him to become rich and famous. There are a few snowboarders who have beaten Shaun in recent years, but when it comes to the big competitions he gets it together and wins. So, this 3 year old is cute and good but why not just call him a good snowboarder? There will never be another Shaun White. Shaun is a pop culture phenomenon. No one else has managed to do this from the world of snowboarding – even if they won gold medals.

April 19, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Steve

Are you serious? Shame on the parents? You're braindead, that's like if the parents of Sidney Crosby didn't give him a hockey stick at age 3, shut your stupid mouth. This kid is amazing and I only wish him the best of luck.

April 27, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. chaos3306

Wow~ great boy. I'm a big fan of him. take care

May 29, 2010 at 2:36 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. nickel

Seriously...who wrote this article. Did anyone else notice the horrible grammar, and writing in general? This is CNN. I thought they could do better.

Don't get me wrong, the subject is great. This kid is amazing for a 3-year-old!

June 15, 2010 at 12:09 am | Report abuse | Reply