April 20th, 2010

Blog: Apple letter proves phone prototype is real deal

Apple wants its phone back.

Tech blog Gizmodo - which posted video of a phone it says is the prototype of the latest iPhone - received a letter from Apple Inc. on Monday that it says erases any doubt the phone is the real deal.

"It has come to our attention that GIZMODO is currently in possession of a device that belongs to Apple," the short letter from Apple's lawyer to the blog begins.

"This letter constitutes a formal request that you return the device to Apple. Please let me know where to pick up the unit."

Gizmodo, which put up the letter, says it has complied.

"Just so you know, we didn't know this was stolen when we bought it," wrote Brian Lam, the site's editorial director, in his response. " Now that we definitely know it's not some knockoff, and it really is Apple's, I'm happy to see it returned to its rightful owner.

"P.S. I hope you take it easy on the kid who lost it. I don't think he loves anything more than Apple except, well, beer."

Photos of the fourth-generation iPhone prototype first appeared on the tech blog Engadget over the weekend. The site said whoever sent the photos found the phone on the floor of a bar in San Jose, California.

On Monday, Gizmodo said it had obtained the device - but wouldn't say how.

Fortune: The end of the cloak-and-dagger tale of a lost or stolen prototype

SciTech Blog: Apple iPhone found in a bar

Post by:
Filed under: Apple • Technology
  1. df

@Thomas

I'll take that bet. You can cover?

🙂

April 20, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  2. ADW

Anyone out there looking forward to a front facing camera? Might be bad for many at the WRONG time. Wonder how many accidents are going to arise from people trying to drive and see the person they're talking to.

April 20, 2010 at 1:15 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Josh in NYC

Will this new I-Phone also be available on other networks, such as Verizon?? Any rumors out there on that??

April 20, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Jess

Publicity stunt or not (I think probably not, considering they remote wiped the thing), does anyone really think Apple is going to take any legal action against Gizmodo? Hell no. That'd just be bad PR and generally stupid (unless Gizmodo had decided to keep the prototype or sell it, which would've been stupid on Gizmodo's part). Bottom line, Apple lost the phone – by an employee, but the company is still responsible for the loss. Someone found it and Gizmodo obtained it. No one was 100% sure it was the real deal. The letter from Apple confirms what it is, and Gizmodo returns the phone willingly.

Of course, Apple could definitely use this situation to their advantage, which is why it would be stupid to go after Gizmodo.

April 20, 2010 at 1:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Paula

Remind me not to lend this guy my top-secret corp devices... my pets... or my kids.

April 21, 2010 at 10:23 am | Report abuse |
  6. iPhone spy apps

Well it that's the case, then it has been settled. GIZMODO truly has an "iPhone Prototype" on their hands (which is the iPhone 4G of course). I think Gizmodo is beating around the bushes with this kind if thing. In the first place, how did they really acquired this "Prototype"? And who leaked this information. This is another case of spoiler.

April 24, 2010 at 11:25 am | Report abuse |
  7. Philip in MA

A GUY WALKS IN TO A BAR..... Can't wait to hear the punch line!

June 7, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse |
  8. london incall

It was extremely interesting for me to read this post. Thanx for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more soon. BTW, pretty good design that blog has, but how about changing it every few months?

Kate Stone

July 6, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  9. Moslem

What a great article. I am searching this for long time. Thank you for your information.

September 27, 2010 at 6:43 am | Report abuse |