April 20th, 2010

Michael Douglas' son Cameron sentenced to five years

Actor Michael Douglas is photographed as he walks into court for his son's sentencing Tuesday.

A judge sentenced actor Michael Douglas' son Cameron to five years in prison Tuesday for selling cocaine and methamphetamine.

Cameron Douglas, 31, was arrested July 2009 at the Manhattan Club in New York City and later pleaded guilty to drug charges.

“I apologize to the court for my decisions and actions that put me in front of you today," Cameron Douglas told the judge.

He added that he wants to take the right path, "the true right path."

Cameron Douglas, wearing a suit and his voice trembling when he spoke, looked at his parents Michael Douglas and Diandra Douglas throughout his time in court.

"I ask for an opportunity to be a role model to my younger brothers and sisters," Cameron Douglas said.

His father, actor Michael Douglas, cried as his son addressed the court.

– CNN's Julian Cummings contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Justice • Showbiz
  1. divinem

Heartbreaking outcome for the Douglas family and every family that finds themselves in similar circumstances.

There are three paths for addicts/alcoholics: prison, mental institution or death.

There is a fourth choice - a more arduous path - and that is recovery. I pray Cameron chooses this fork in the road as an opportunity to find recovery, and I pray for healing of Cameron's parents' hearts.

April 20, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Beitske

I think he should be in jail for the 10 years that every other drug dealer and drug user would get under the law. I feel sorry for the family but they are not going to cure his drug addiction with their love or care, only he can do that. He blatently sold and used drugs and cried only when caught! This is not a celebrity thing, everyone has problems and we must all pay the price for breaking the law. He may have sold his drugs to children and now has the fact that he is responsible for more drug addicts on the street on his concience and he does not care? bb

April 20, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Report abuse |
  3. mike r

if he can stays clean and sober he will be a role model. i'm in the program. he has his whole life to make something good happen. jail offers AA and he can get a solid foundation under him by the time he gets out. Up to him to do the work.

April 20, 2010 at 6:26 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Larry

I wish the best for Cameron Douglas and his family. I admire his grandfather. I always liked Michael's sense of humor in his roles, though it has nothing to do with parenting.

It is a sad truth that so many of these Hollywood kids of celebrities and child actors end up in these situations.

April 20, 2010 at 6:29 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Wes L

My heart goes out to the family.
    There is a comment below about poppy fields in war zones. I have news clips with American soldiers watching poppies being harvested, etc.
    This is nuts.
    Why are we not destroying these crops whenever we find them.
    How much of the product comes right back across our Mexican border?
    When will we wake up?
    It's a damn same.

April 20, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  6. frances

Im very sad, because I know Cameron since he was 7 yrs old and he was and I know he still is a beautiful person and a good human been and as a human been we all make mistake–good luck Cameroon like we call you when you was a kid, love you always!!!!

April 20, 2010 at 9:31 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Shon

Another rich kid that dont have anything productive to do with his life. Justice was served and I feel for the parents.

April 20, 2010 at 11:03 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sarah

Poor Michael Douglas, that is too bad.. One more arrest gets us closer to nothing.

April 20, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  9. JJ

@Mercedes
    He wasn't sentenced for using – he was sentenced for dealing – big difference.

April 21, 2010 at 12:37 pm | Report abuse |
  10. AShley

How heartbreaking for a family to go through, but not to mention the heartache of Cameron. He was and is under a very controling disease. At points in this disease you are out of control. I pray that he can get the help he needs to be okay. Hang in there you can make it.

April 21, 2010 at 2:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Lineswine

Should have got double the minimum sentence, as an example.
    Instead, he got 1/2 the minimum. Just shows you what having a famous family will do for you.
    Anyone remember Paris Hilton being let out of jail afte3r a few days by that idiot Baka?

Next thing you know they will have special "celebrity jails" – just like a spa but with slightly thicker walls.

April 22, 2010 at 12:28 am | Report abuse |
  12. pazsion

Jail time is never the correct answer for non-violent crimes.
    If anything he will learn how to better deal these drugs without getting caught..learning from others locked up with him. He may even get into dealin it in the jail if he has not learned anything from this.

why in the world he would get 5 years for a first time offense, which is the minimum, of both or more charges combined.. is beyond me.. even with a celebrity status... this is extream.

meth is a killer though.. anyone dealing meth should be dealt with as an extream case.. sad it had to be a young man with the ability to do something else with his life.

April 22, 2010 at 6:28 pm | Report abuse |