April 28th, 2010

Tea Partiers to illegal immigrants: 'Sign guestbook'

Lee Earle, left, and Ronald Ludders of Phoenix support Arizona's new immigration law.

Lee Earle, a self-identified “Tea Party facilitator” in Arizona, ground zero of the immigration debate, wants you to know that he supports immigration. He considers it the lifeblood of American society and the backbone of our economy – if it’s done legally.

“We want immigration. We need immigration! All we want is for people to sign the guestbook at the door,” said Earle, a Phoenix resident. “Being an illegal immigrant in Arizona is like trespassing. If you’re in my house and you’re not invited, then I have every right to send you out.”

Earle says he supports Arizona’s controversial new law targeting illegal immigration because it lets local law enforcement do what the federal government should be doing to stop people from entering the country unlawfully.

“When people come here without permission, when they come here illegally, they automatically become victims of the coyotes who bring them over and the employers who take advantage of their cheap labor,” Earle said. “Let them come legally so they can take advantage of all the wonderful services and opportunities this great nation has to offer and they can contribute in a meaningful way.”

Earle, a loquacious retiree who gesticulates frequently as he fires off in a stream-of-consciousness manner, shared his thoughts Tuesday night before a legislative district meeting at the Jumbo Buffet in a strip mall in southwest Phoenix.

Dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and jeans, his long gray hair pulled back, Earle said he blames health care, education and incarceration for illegal immigrants for contributing to the state’s $2 billion budget deficit.

“It’s a monetary thing for the state, because I’m a taxpayer but also a human concerned because they can’t take advantage of our legal system because they’re afraid of being deported,” he said.

Earle’s friend and fellow Tea Partier Ronald Ludders dismissed with a wave of the hand the suggestion that the bill encourages racial profiling.

“Illegal is not a race," said Ludders, who, like Earle, is a Republican precinct committeeman for his legislative district. “Law enforcement will be looking for people who they have reasonable suspicion to believe are breaking the law. They cannot stop them based on the color of their skin.”

Both men say this is not about hating Hispanics: Ludders has a home in Mexico, and Earle lives in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood.

“This is about fixing a problem that has been plaguing our communities for a long time. If the federal government isn’t going to do anything, I’m proud of Arizona for stepping up to the plate,” Earle said.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • U.S.
soundoff (1,254 Responses)
  1. Response

JoeP – you are wrong. I read the law. The law allows police to question any person with whom the officer makes "lawful contact." That includes criminals, but also victims, people who report crimes and anyone else the the cop happens to run into. This has implciations for everyone – when you're in a car accident, don't expect anyone who could be harassed based on immigration status to call you an ambulance. That would create "lawful contact" for purposes of the new law. Do your homework before calling others ignorant.

April 28, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  2. JEff

@Bruce,

You state that "when is it AZ job to perform the Feds job". Let me tell you, we need to to this because the Fed is DOING NOTHING!

1. Did you know that the Tucson border it the LARGEST drug traffic point in the country
    2. Our idiot former Gov. Janet N, put unmanned drones over TX. not AZ.
    3. In her comments she stated something along the lines of "The border is as secure as it has ever been" BINGO, it have NEVER been secured, thus the huge problem we in the AZ have.
    4. Did you also know that in the past decade, most of our officers deaths have been at the hands of illegals
    5. Did you know that AZ school children are suffering becuase AZ teachers have to pander to non-English speaking kids aka Illegals. This is a major reason as to why AZ ranks, at last I saw, 48th in education.

Maybe you should walk in our shoes before you start saying "awe, the poor migrant workers".

April 28, 2010 at 7:49 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Damian Latino

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his aright hand, Come, ye bblessed of my Father, cinherit the dkingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
    35 For I was an ahungred, and ye bgave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a cstranger, and ye took me in:
    36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye avisited me: I was in bprison, and ye came unto me.
    37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
    38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
    39 Or when saw we thee asick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
    40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have adone it unto one of the bleast of these my cbrethren, ye have done it unto me.
    41 Then shall he say also unto them on the aleft hand, bDepart from me, ye ccursed, into everlasting dfire, eprepared for the devil and his angels:
    42 For I was an ahungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
    43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.
    44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
    45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the aleast of these, ye did it not to me.
    46 And these shall go away into aeverlasting bpunishment: but the crighteous into dlife eeternal.

LET'S BE MERCIFUL TO EVERY ONE. LET'S SHOW OUR LOVE TO EVERY ONE. AMERICA IS LIKE THIS BECAUSE OF THEIR PEACE. LET'S NOT OUR HEART BE HARSH TO ONE ANOTHER

April 28, 2010 at 7:50 pm | Report abuse |
  4. wil

As a former resident of the state of Arizona, I must agree with the new law. I still love the state and want to be there as much as possible. Matter of fact, all 50 0f them are for the Americans and the legal visitors. Just get the papers and visit. Emd of discussion.

April 28, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Yabby

Good for Arizona! Their state is in trouble as are many in the West. Soon the legal residents/citizens will have less services and support than they deserve due to the growing costs of the illegal people taking away from them.

This country offers many great gifts to its people. I am fortunate to have come here, to wish to stay, and to be invited to stay. It helps that I had needed skills and education and likely these speeded up the the process for me. I have paid my taxes from the beginning and came here knowing I could support myself without being a burden upon those who were first my hosts, then my neighbors, now, my fellow citizens. A foreigner should not to be able to take a short cut and then demand more from this society they only seek to gain personally from.

They have rights even as illegals under the Constitution. Rights to be treated as a human being, rights not to arrested without due cause, the right to be treated with due process, the right not to be tortured if arrested. This does not include the right to demand a livelihood, or that the state (meaning, the nation, not specifically the 50 states) provide them with services that citizens and legal residents pay for like education and other support. These privileges are guaranteed to citizens only, not all persons under the 14th amendment.

They should treat the US and its laws and the gifts it offers to people who enter and stay by its laws respectfully. Until they do so, I cannot feel they deserve more than to be sent back to where they came from.

Should amnesty be offered, I strongly feel that the path end at permanent residency. Nobody should disrespect the laws of this land from the moment they arrive and find themselves being granted the greatest gift this country has to offer: citizenship, with all of its rights and privileges. Perhaps if they are willing to perform military service, would be the only exemption from that rule.

April 28, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Marc

Diego,
    I am a white male with a shaved head, goatee, and have earrings in both ears. I get stopped all the time who are you kidding? Profiling happens no matter what. People are making a big deal out of the showing proof like a drivers license? If you are white and get pulled over but cannot produce identification what happens? You are detained until your identity can be established, this happens regardless of race. This law does not give police the power to detain you if you do not have identification, they already have it and you will be cuffed and brought in for finger printing regardless of race. We gave up the right as "American" citizens of every race to not carry identification when in mass hysteria we passed the Patriot Act remember? We cannot fly without ID and a search of our person, some now with scanners that can see under clothing. Regardless of your race, in this country you have to carry and produce ID on demand.

April 28, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  7. On the fence

A few things.

2. Courts have uniformly held that an officer can detain someone if he or she has a reasoanbly held suspicion that the person has or is commiting a crime. If the law provides that the status of illegal immigrant is a crime than the officer, upon reasonable suspicion of the crime taking palce, can detain the individual to invetigate further,

3. A primary principle of statutory construction is, if possible, statutes are to be interpreted so as to avoid unconstitutionality.

4. Policies and procedures could create the application of this law in a constitutional manner.

5. Where is all this leftist slippery slope argument, especially the ridculous holocaust trype, when the idea of health care was being discussed, and our children were being swamped with debt?

The left truly exists in a world of dreams devoid of any logical or pratical application.

April 28, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Dan

"Will someone PLEASE tell me with clarity what "reasonably suspicious" looks like on an illegal immigrant?? "

Well, take the following scenario. There are 3 groups of people hanging out at a gas station. Group 1 contains a mix of ethnicities waiting for the city bus. Group 2 is a group of high school aged teenagers of various ethnicities drinking soda and bouncing a basketball. Group 3 is a group of day laborers.

Which of these is "reasonably suspsicious"?

April 28, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Whitemanakanazi

After reading a lot of these posts by the white people, I’m actually embarrassed that I’m white. David said “WE (WHITE PEOPLE) ARE GOING TO BE OUTNUMBERED SOONER OR LATER BY OTHER RACES SOONER OR LATER WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT, AND THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE WITH ME. THIS IS EXPECTED BECAUSE WE ARE IN A CONTINENT CALLED LATINAMERICA HELLO.” Not only is he being redundant in the “sooner or later” part, I’ll bet that 90% of the fifth graders in this country know that the continent on which the United States of America is located is knows as “North America.” There is also a “South America” and the part in between is “Latin America.” Jesus, can the undereducated idiots of the world please stop posting replies so the rest of us don’t have to weed through all of your idiotic rants? By the way, my wife is Hispanic, and I am vehemently opposed to illegal immigration for all races. Not because I’m a white (and therefore probably a racist in the eyes of many minorities), but because if I were to enter most other countries illegally, there would be consequences to that, just as there should be consequences for those who come to this country illegally. Not everybody that opposes illegal immigration is white, nor are all those people racist. It could be that many, like me, just think that if people want to come to this country, they should do so through legal means.

April 28, 2010 at 7:52 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Diego

Right nuster. Are you sure there isn't one single racist cop on the force in all of AZ? Do you think there are any who'll say, "That guy looks like a Mexican, let's check him out"? As Pam said earlier, why should brown-skinned folks have to worry about toting papers and white folks can smile and love this law? It's just plain un-American. It's just plain wrong. For all you God-loving right-wingers out there – do you think a dark skinned man like Jesus would support this legislation?

April 28, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  11. GoodbyeAllFreeloaders

Pam, also don't forget about how much we'll miss all the Mexican gangs, kidnappings, drugs, murders, rapes, etc. when the illegals are forced to leave. You also sound racist since you cannot see fit to understand that Canadians can be illegals too. I'll gladly pay $5 for an onion and oh...maybe some lazy ass American's will stop living off me and go out and get a job picking that onion.

April 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  12. for real?

All of you "legal" white Arizona people have been polluting my nation, and taking the resources (like water!) from Arizona's indigenous people for quite sometime. And we never told you it was okay to stay.

I guess what goes around comes around.

- a real Arizona Native

April 28, 2010 at 7:54 pm | Report abuse |
  13. damon

This is an easy one: Do you have a SS#? If so, thank you and have a nice day! If not, here is the border, thank you and have a nice day!

April 28, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Dave

OK Britney and all of the rest of you ignorant bleeding hearts, PLEASE, try to understand that their is a REASON that these people are here illegally. They are here illegally because they are criminals in their own country and CANT come here legally. They bring their drug trafficking, human trafficking, and rape and murder here Britney. I live in Arizona and see it every day. I have had two friends with their trucks stolen just this year to traffic people and drugs across the border. Some people say you have to be rich to legally enter the country. Bull!! It costs more to have someone traffic you across the border illegally ( upwards of $3000 ) I know!!!!

As for those whining that the White people of America Stole your land. Actually, the Spanish, (your people) stole it from the natives. We bought it from Mexico and we had to pay for it TWICE.

So, so many of you have no idea what you are talking about.

April 28, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Whitemanakanazi

Sorry...I bashed undereducated people and then failed to proof my post before posting it. I meant to say the part in the middle (between North America and South America) is Central America...not Latin America. Latin America is actually Central and South America.

April 28, 2010 at 7:57 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84