April 28th, 2010

Tea Partiers to illegal immigrants: 'Sign guestbook'

Lee Earle, left, and Ronald Ludders of Phoenix support Arizona's new immigration law.

Lee Earle, a self-identified “Tea Party facilitator” in Arizona, ground zero of the immigration debate, wants you to know that he supports immigration. He considers it the lifeblood of American society and the backbone of our economy – if it’s done legally.

“We want immigration. We need immigration! All we want is for people to sign the guestbook at the door,” said Earle, a Phoenix resident. “Being an illegal immigrant in Arizona is like trespassing. If you’re in my house and you’re not invited, then I have every right to send you out.”

Earle says he supports Arizona’s controversial new law targeting illegal immigration because it lets local law enforcement do what the federal government should be doing to stop people from entering the country unlawfully.

“When people come here without permission, when they come here illegally, they automatically become victims of the coyotes who bring them over and the employers who take advantage of their cheap labor,” Earle said. “Let them come legally so they can take advantage of all the wonderful services and opportunities this great nation has to offer and they can contribute in a meaningful way.”

Earle, a loquacious retiree who gesticulates frequently as he fires off in a stream-of-consciousness manner, shared his thoughts Tuesday night before a legislative district meeting at the Jumbo Buffet in a strip mall in southwest Phoenix.

Dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and jeans, his long gray hair pulled back, Earle said he blames health care, education and incarceration for illegal immigrants for contributing to the state’s $2 billion budget deficit.

“It’s a monetary thing for the state, because I’m a taxpayer but also a human concerned because they can’t take advantage of our legal system because they’re afraid of being deported,” he said.

Earle’s friend and fellow Tea Partier Ronald Ludders dismissed with a wave of the hand the suggestion that the bill encourages racial profiling.

“Illegal is not a race," said Ludders, who, like Earle, is a Republican precinct committeeman for his legislative district. “Law enforcement will be looking for people who they have reasonable suspicion to believe are breaking the law. They cannot stop them based on the color of their skin.”

Both men say this is not about hating Hispanics: Ludders has a home in Mexico, and Earle lives in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood.

“This is about fixing a problem that has been plaguing our communities for a long time. If the federal government isn’t going to do anything, I’m proud of Arizona for stepping up to the plate,” Earle said.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • U.S.
soundoff (1,254 Responses)
  1. George Washington

America is my home too. All the world is invited to my home. Come and make yourself at home.

Keep it green

April 28, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AMC

Whites are also getting some of their own medicine too. Just watch. It will get worst...When it gets into violence fights. White people have already used their own force in the past and will use it also after this bill gets passed. Now it's their time also to act too. White people are only provoking some of their own citizens. And it's pure hypocrisy when they're in the same boat. When it doesn't seem just to some, It's unjust to everybody. It's logical 1 + 1 = 2 Hatred plus hatred equals a war competence. Racial fights.

April 28, 2010 at 11:30 pm | Report abuse |
  3. miguel

who sya that slavery does not exist in america of course there is here. the diference is only the modern slavery.
    i work over 70 hour A WEEK i don't recive avertime, or vaccion. i can't take off a day if you gET SICK
    i have this job for like 8 years now that sumer is caming inside the restuarnt where i wok the tempeture reach 150 degrese
    you think that i white american amn is going to do/? i dont think so
    you see why you need peplo fron another country to do job that american doenot hant to do
    the diswaher here work more that 90 hours a week andrecive only 350 dollares for aht day
    you think with tah tahn money yo can live here no!!!!
    you dont work you dont have money.
    there a white peplo who tinks they are very smart ant inteligents
    but is no tru
    i am no saying every one

April 28, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Report abuse |
  4. William

Yea Arizona. I wish more states would do this. Heck, I wish the whole country would do this.

April 28, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Spanish American

This debate is ridiculous!! This bill DOES NOT allow Arizona police officers to pull over or stop anyone based on the color of their skin, that is unconstitutional. This law is only a state version of the Federal law, but only gives the local authorities the right to enforce it. With that said, a police officer cannot make contact with anyone because he or she thinks a specific person might be illegal. Their has to be probable cause just to approach an individual. So if a person is driving erractically, littering in the street, or is in the middle of another criminal act, only then may they be asked for proof of residencey.

I'm a naturalized American citizen, have been here since the age of 4 and love this country. I speak English fluently (and Spanish as I'm from Spain) and so does my entire family. I've paid taxes since my first job and enjoy the privileges I receive because of that (SS, public education and police protection as well as other public services). Now illegal aliens get the same public services as I do, but yet they don't pay taxes to get them the way we all do. How is that fair??

Now, yo hablo espanol, and I have Mexicans in my family so are you going to call me a racist!!!??? We all SUPPORT this bill 100% and hope other states adopt its wording. Showing my ID or any proof of residency that is requested of me is MY PLEASURE as long as I know its for the good of MY country, which I believe it is. Illegal aliens are nothing but a drain to economy and we'd be better off if they attempted to re-enter the legal way, not to mention they'd be better off as well.

FYI: Permanent Residents are required by law to carry their green cards at all times, so I don't see how that could be a problem. US citizens should always have some sort of ID on them as well, whether it be a drivers license or some sort of military ID, so how is that a problem??

Lastly, please don't comparing this to Nazi Germany or when European settlers came to the New World. Two different eras with two totally different ways of thinking. Hilter wanted all Jews exterminated due to his real racist views. Americans aren't trying to exterminate anyone, we're simply asking them to leave our house and go back to theirs. And as far as the European invasion, give it a rest. Yes, the settlers took the land from the Natives, but were there really any laws or regulations then?? We are attempting to be a civilized society, I'm sure you'd agree that it was far from civilized back then, meaning both the European settlers and the Native Americans. With all the political correctness of today, that would never happen in this day in age....Imagine, the United States discovering an island in the middle of the pacific with natives, would today's society take them over to civilize them?? I thnk not....Thanks and God Bless America!

PS. I'm not a Republican or Democrat, just a concerned citizen. Gracias

April 28, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |
  6. ME

If you think the war in Iraq & Afghanistan is costing us too much, read this:
    I hope the following 14 reasons are forwarded over and over again.

1. $11 Billion to $22 billion is spent on welfare to illegal aliens each year by state governments.

2. $2.2 Billion dollars a year is spent on food assistance programs, (food stamps), WIC, and free school lunches for illegal aliens.

3. $2.5 Billion a year is spent on Medicaid for illegal aliens.

4. $12 Billion / yr. spent on primary and secondary education for children of Illegals.

5. $17 Billion / yr. spent for education for the American-born anchor babies of illegals.

6. $3 Million / DAY is spent to incarcerate illegals

7. 30% percent of all Federal Prison inmates are illegal..

8. $90 Billion / year spent on illegals for Welfare & social services.

9. $200 Billion / year in suppressed American wages are caused by illegal.

10. Illegals have a crime rate two & a half times that of non-illegals. And children of Illegals dd to the crime problem.

11. During the year of 2005 alone over 4 MILLION illegals crossed our Southern Border, as did nearly 20,00 illegal aliens from Terrorist Countries. Additionally Millions of pounds of drugs including, cocaine, meth, heroin and marijuana, entered the U.S.

12. The National policy Institute, estimated that the total cost of mass deportation would be between $206 and $230 billion. An average cost of between $41 and $46 billion annually over a 5 year period.

13. In 2006 illegal aliens sent home $45 BILLION in to their home countries.

14. 'The Dark Side of Illegal Immigration: Nearly One MILLION sex crimes committed by Illegals.

The total cost is a whopping $ 338.3 BILLION DOLLARS A YEAR. More than enough for a "Stimulus Package"

Are we THAT stupid?
    YES, FOR LETTING THOSE IN THE U.S. CONGRESS GET AWAY WITH IT

NOTE: The above list originally included URL links verifying all of the above. If you want to know why they are omitted, you may wish to email Brent Jones, managing editor of USA Today @ accuracy@usatoday.com He’s the IGNORANUS who now prohibits the inclusion of URLs linked to conservative web sites. P.C. is alive & well @ USAT.
    And why are we NOT surprised?

April 28, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Don

Too bad the Native Americans didn't try harder to deport the illegal immigrants who came to this country from Europe.

April 28, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Diego

Dave wrote:
    "Diego, Actually I wasn't trying to insult you at all."

---------------

That's funny. Most people kind of take it as an insult when you question that they really served this country in the military, or that they were just pretending to be white so they could do some "reverse race baiting." So, even though you didn't insult me because I have some pretty thick skin, it sure sounded like you were trying to.

Also, I think your statement that my comments are "uninformed and lacking in facts" kind of points those same accusations back at you. You're not able to rationally support your side of this debate so you resort to attempts to insult people for their informed viewpoints. I guess you're another one that will be surprised at how right we are when the Supreme Court rules on the law. If the law lasts that long.

April 28, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Report abuse |
  9. michael roice

The only people in the world the United States government does not care about, are its own citizens. It gives countless millions to other countries, lets other people litterally walk all over us, and thinks we owe them something. The backbone of the United States isn't in it's leaders, but is strong in it's people. Don't tread on us

April 28, 2010 at 11:34 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Des de Texas

Opus512, they will tell if they are illegal or not by their papers. It's that simple. You will not get pulled over for being hispanic. This law will also apply to any illegal Irishmen in Arizona. And as a federal LEO, I can assure you that states CAN enforce federal laws and I can/do enforce state laws. I just had refresher training on the subject.

April 28, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Dan

I can't imagine why anyone would want to get away from poverty and starvation, you just can't please some people.

April 28, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Mike

Your not detained Diego when asked for ID, I also point you to my comment to Jeff and the application of the 4th Amendment. And in many states you can be asked without suspicion, I know that seems weird but there are many states that allow it, some don't make you answer which makes those laws especially confusing. I don't think most people that disagree with the law are for illegal immigration, I just think they have bought into the hype the news media portrayed, much like many people do with FOX News on other issues. Like I said there are about 70 ICE laws in effect on local levels and they aren't having problems (the vast majority anyway). The bill corrects for the issues of profiling, one such way is what G was asking for that the state flips the bill for wrong suits. This is an actual provision in the law. The law really is a decent law, but I do grasp the concerns due to poor choice of wording. AZ has about 30% of the legal voting population classifying themselves as Hispanic, the AZ government isn't dumb enough to allow for a sweeping racist law and I would hope not racists enough to have the spirit of the law designed to do that either ( I say hope b/c i don't know any of them personally).
    Except for Jeff I do not mean to offend anyone, you are entitled to your opinions and I respect that. Jeff I do mean to offend b/c he is nothing but a spewing soundbite that reminds me of MSNBC as ignorant as the comments he is talking about from the truly racists people

April 28, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Dave

Again and again and again,

"White" people did not "Take" or "Steal" the land of Arizona from the Mexicans or the Native Americans. The Mexicans (part Spanish, and part Native American) sold it to the United States and we paid for it twice following the Mexican American war. Please read and understand history before you comment. It makes you look stupid if you don't.

April 28, 2010 at 11:36 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Des de Texas

Don, what was illegal about the people who came here from Europe 400 years ago? Can you tell me which native American law was violated or point me to a native American constitution that addresses this? Thanks!

April 28, 2010 at 11:37 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Robear in Ojai

I wish the terms "RACE" and "RACIST" were taken out of this discussion.

This has nothing to do with race. It is about culture, economics, nationality and sovereignty as a nation.

I am Canadian-born and went through the legal channels and became a resident and then eventually a Citizen of the USA. It is my pride to contribute to this great nation. Moreover, in the 30 years I have been here, I have NEVER availed myself to ANY of the tax-supported free services, medical or otherwise, that are now being swamped by people who are here illegally. As a French-speaking Canadian, I also took upon myself to learn the American English language, so well in fact that I am now a published magazine writer here in the USA.

Illegal workers and undocumented immigrants who come here for a "better life" only to send their paychecks back to Mexico to support la familia contribute nothing to this country. They are just draining the system. Immigrants who refuse to learn the country's official language are insulting their hosts and spitting in their faces. Re-creating the graffiti-ridden squalor of their gang and drug-infested barrios on American soil does not constitute a cultural contribution.

As long as we insist on paying artificially low prices for everything we buy, there will be employers wanting to hire undocumented workers @ $3.00/hr to harvest or manufacture it for us; and consequently, there will be immigrants willing to cross the border illegally to get it.

April 28, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84