April 28th, 2010

Tea Partiers to illegal immigrants: 'Sign guestbook'

Lee Earle, left, and Ronald Ludders of Phoenix support Arizona's new immigration law.

Lee Earle, a self-identified “Tea Party facilitator” in Arizona, ground zero of the immigration debate, wants you to know that he supports immigration. He considers it the lifeblood of American society and the backbone of our economy – if it’s done legally.

“We want immigration. We need immigration! All we want is for people to sign the guestbook at the door,” said Earle, a Phoenix resident. “Being an illegal immigrant in Arizona is like trespassing. If you’re in my house and you’re not invited, then I have every right to send you out.”

Earle says he supports Arizona’s controversial new law targeting illegal immigration because it lets local law enforcement do what the federal government should be doing to stop people from entering the country unlawfully.

“When people come here without permission, when they come here illegally, they automatically become victims of the coyotes who bring them over and the employers who take advantage of their cheap labor,” Earle said. “Let them come legally so they can take advantage of all the wonderful services and opportunities this great nation has to offer and they can contribute in a meaningful way.”

Earle, a loquacious retiree who gesticulates frequently as he fires off in a stream-of-consciousness manner, shared his thoughts Tuesday night before a legislative district meeting at the Jumbo Buffet in a strip mall in southwest Phoenix.

Dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and jeans, his long gray hair pulled back, Earle said he blames health care, education and incarceration for illegal immigrants for contributing to the state’s $2 billion budget deficit.

“It’s a monetary thing for the state, because I’m a taxpayer but also a human concerned because they can’t take advantage of our legal system because they’re afraid of being deported,” he said.

Earle’s friend and fellow Tea Partier Ronald Ludders dismissed with a wave of the hand the suggestion that the bill encourages racial profiling.

“Illegal is not a race," said Ludders, who, like Earle, is a Republican precinct committeeman for his legislative district. “Law enforcement will be looking for people who they have reasonable suspicion to believe are breaking the law. They cannot stop them based on the color of their skin.”

Both men say this is not about hating Hispanics: Ludders has a home in Mexico, and Earle lives in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood.

“This is about fixing a problem that has been plaguing our communities for a long time. If the federal government isn’t going to do anything, I’m proud of Arizona for stepping up to the plate,” Earle said.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • U.S.
soundoff (1,244 Responses)
  1. law

that is all you guys can come up with pack your bags, illegal, blah blah blah. I am Hispanic and you know I whish they all left too I would love to see how your economy sinks and see all you snobby unemployed yanks have to go back to work cleaning toilets, picking fruits in a farm. Maybe then all of your low life comments would go away because your too busy cleaning someones dirt. Lets face it these employers don't hire just for cheaper labor, but more efficency. Hispanics work much more harder then you all. They are self efficient. If you don't belive me lets see one of you unemployed try coughing up a conversation in another language. you can't even get past your ignorant life

April 28, 2010 at 11:46 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Eric from Florida

Ummm... Still waiting.... Still waiting for you Liberals to justify law breaking... Still waiting for you to say that it is okay to enter my country illegally..
    Man!... We are up to 856 comments here and I have yet to hear (read) a valid reason why it is okay for people to enter my country illegally.

April 28, 2010 at 11:48 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. Des de Texas

derfin, sounds like a wonderful utopia they had going. Too bad they didn't write a constitution or have something a little more solid to fall back on besides their religion. You know who else doesn't own land and just moves around from place to place? The homeless.

April 28, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. FedUp!

Tong, Lisa, Bruce and the rest of the morons...

This country has never been against immigration. Virtually everyone in this country is descended from immigrants who entered this country legally. Why, after 200+ years, should we allow illegal aliens. The US is my home. That makes an illegal aliens guilty of 'home invasion'!

And for you people who only see this as a political issue, pull your head out of your . Assuming that this is a Tea Party issue, a Republican issue, or Democrat issue is contra-positive! This is an American issue. This problem existed when Bush was Pres; it exists today. It is neither a Bush problem nor an Obama problem. It is an American problem!

By the way, what is an American? Is it someone who swims the river? Or is it the bricklayer who attended classes to learn English and took the citizenship test? No one is saying Pedro cannot come to the US. Just do it legally!

I applaud this law. This law attempts to address the problem at a local (state) level. Bravo, AZ! I sincerely believe that Latinos will not be subjected to arbitrary and capricious stops and ID checks. The police are simply too busy chasing the criminals (many of whom are illegal aliens) to be 'checking papers'. However, if they have reason to believe you are part of a crime, they now have the ability and responsibility to ask for proof of citizenship. Show them your Green Card, driver's license, or military ID and be on your way.

So for all you of who think this law is unjust, what is YOUR solution to the problem? Status quo?? Do nothing??

Yeah, I kinda thought you wouldn't have anything to say...

Press on, AZ. Barry G and I are proud of you!!

April 28, 2010 at 11:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Dave

Well Diego, it seems that I did insult you since you can't let it go. As for supporting my side of the debate, I am confused that there is a debate. There has to be two valid points based on some semblance of fact to have a real debate. Your side holds nothing. I have no debate with you. You are just wrong. If you say the Earth is flat, there is no use for me to debate with you. You are just wrong.

This new law does not give anyone the right to racially profile anyone. The facts I cite are in the Bill you obviously haven't read.

As for the constitution. It doesn't say anything about "inalienable rights" That's the Declaration of Independence.

April 28, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Mike

Stop with the stealing land posts. There is no nation on this planet that hasn't in its past taken land from someone else. The Native American tribes before us fought one another, completely wiping some from existence. The Mexicans, a combination of Aztec and Spanish descent, were first part of the Spanish empire that expanded through military force and through a series of wars and most importantly purchases, the area of the SW became part of the US. None of you were alive to have your land taken from you, just like none of you were alive to be slaves, or none of you were alive to be Irish immigrants forced to serve in the Union army the second you landed in the US, and I could go on and on. Those posts have NOTHING to do with the issue at hand

April 28, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. assante

All of you, even Arizonian supporter of this law, Which state was the last one to recognize MLK day as a national holiday? No difference with the end of apartheid in the 20th century. As a nation of immigrants , just look down the road and see "Comprehensive immigration reform" rolling in. Actually thanks Arizona for busting the issues on top of line and made it a priority. Sometime behind evil, good hides and shows itself at the right time!.

Peace out!

April 28, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Sarah Phillips

hey I don't understand what the big deal is!!! Whe I travel overseas I HAVE TO SHOW DOCUMENTATION AND CARRY IT WITH ME AT ALL TIMES AND ABIDE BY MY VISA AND LEAVE WHEN THE TIME IS UP!! WHY IS IT THAT THESE PEOPLE FEEL THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO DO WHAT EVERYONE ELSE DOES???????????????????????

IF I APPLY FOR A DRIVER'S LICENSE I HAVE TO SHOW A VALID BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND A SS #..

IF I GET PULLED OVER THEN ALL OF THAT IS CHECKED...WHAT IS IT WITH THESE PEOPLE WHO ARE SUCH BLATANT LAW BREAKERS??????

THEY ARE TRYING TO GET AROUND OUTR LAWS THAT EVERY US CITIZEN HAS TO ABIDE.

THE NERVE AND AS AMERICAN I AM COMPLETELY OFFENDED BY THIS AND BY ANY GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL WHO AGREES THAHT THEY CAN BREAK THE LAW AND CALL IT RACIST..WELL THEY ARE RACIST AGAINST US BY THINKING THAT THEY ARE BETTER THAN ANY OF THE US CITIZENS AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO ABIDE BY OUR LAWS.

April 28, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Dr. Obama

"Tea Party""

I have nothing against the Tea Baggers. It's the non-conformist, thinking, independent peeps that I have issues with (sic.). These supporters of Liberty, Constitution, and Federal Laws will be the end of us all (Dems). We must save the illegals. Anyone who breaks the law has US rights! Join us in our campaign to save criminals from consequence.

April 28, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Keith

Why do people keep bringing up Arizona and MLK Day in the same sentence?? Oh that’s right it is a typical LEFT WING approach to everything. Keep drinking your Obama cool aid

April 28, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Sarah

Here's a thought to everyone out there who seems to think white people are too good for manual labor...do any of you idiots realize how much innate poverty we have in this country? So many poor, jobless, and hungry people that ARE citizens. No one seems to grasp that this country isn't as rich and great as it appears. We need to take care of our own before we can take care of everyone else. Go ahead and LEAVE and I promise you someone out there who is unemployed in this economy will go ahead and do dirty work. You act like no Caucasians work for minimum wage....such BS, I have done it, I have mowed lawns, painted trees, picked weeds for money. That's just as racist a thought as everyone claims this bill is.

April 28, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Des de Texas

Suzy M., as for your BOYCOTT OF ARIZONA, I'll be vacationing there for the first time this summer! I encourage all supporters of this law to consider the same. The law-abiding citizens are the ones who pump money into the economy but many of the illegals send their money to Mexico. I don't think your boycott will be very successful since many of your cronies are consumers of tax dollars and other resources and produce very little outside of manual labor. I hear the Grand Canyon is nice this time of year!

April 28, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Elizabeth

I'm not a fan of the Tea Party, but in this case I agree.

Coming into the country illegally is AGAINST THE LAW. If I snuck into someone's house illegally, I would be arrested. So, why is it okay for other's to break laws, making it possible for terrorists to sneak over, and forcing our already strapped states to provide medical care, food and housing when citizens that have followed our laws are often left starving and living in shelters in our own country.

If someone would like to become a citizen legally, pay their taxes and try to be productive American, welcome to the US! But, for those who just here to live illegally off our system and benefit by not paying taxes, it's time to go home.

It's time we end the wishy washy politics and hold firm to our laws. Otherwise, this country is going to keep sliding down into the mess we're creating by worrying more about offending bleeding heart liberals than bydealing with the problems.

April 28, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. PAZ

Stop using Mexican in your illegal statements.This law applies to any illegals not just of MEXICAN background, or those it? your insecurity and fear of Mexicans is obvious.I can assure u MOST OF THEM are good people.VIVA LA FRONTERA .VIVA ESTADOS UNIDOS DE AMERICA!GOD BLESS THE USA. PEACE,PLEASE.

April 28, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Denise

I am white. My late husband was a LEGAL immigrant from Jamaica... I was stop for speeding on the way into El Paso from the Texas side. The police asked for my driver's license AND my son's driver's license as well. He was NOT driving but has a darker skin than me. His brother who is very light was also in the car and was not questioned. The patrolman then asked me if he was my son. I can think of NO REASON for them to question him other than his looks. If this is happening in Texas without this law, I can just imagine what would happen in Arizona.

April 28, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse | Reply