April 28th, 2010

Tea Partiers to illegal immigrants: 'Sign guestbook'

Lee Earle, left, and Ronald Ludders of Phoenix support Arizona's new immigration law.

Lee Earle, a self-identified “Tea Party facilitator” in Arizona, ground zero of the immigration debate, wants you to know that he supports immigration. He considers it the lifeblood of American society and the backbone of our economy – if it’s done legally.

“We want immigration. We need immigration! All we want is for people to sign the guestbook at the door,” said Earle, a Phoenix resident. “Being an illegal immigrant in Arizona is like trespassing. If you’re in my house and you’re not invited, then I have every right to send you out.”

Earle says he supports Arizona’s controversial new law targeting illegal immigration because it lets local law enforcement do what the federal government should be doing to stop people from entering the country unlawfully.

“When people come here without permission, when they come here illegally, they automatically become victims of the coyotes who bring them over and the employers who take advantage of their cheap labor,” Earle said. “Let them come legally so they can take advantage of all the wonderful services and opportunities this great nation has to offer and they can contribute in a meaningful way.”

Earle, a loquacious retiree who gesticulates frequently as he fires off in a stream-of-consciousness manner, shared his thoughts Tuesday night before a legislative district meeting at the Jumbo Buffet in a strip mall in southwest Phoenix.

Dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and jeans, his long gray hair pulled back, Earle said he blames health care, education and incarceration for illegal immigrants for contributing to the state’s $2 billion budget deficit.

“It’s a monetary thing for the state, because I’m a taxpayer but also a human concerned because they can’t take advantage of our legal system because they’re afraid of being deported,” he said.

Earle’s friend and fellow Tea Partier Ronald Ludders dismissed with a wave of the hand the suggestion that the bill encourages racial profiling.

“Illegal is not a race," said Ludders, who, like Earle, is a Republican precinct committeeman for his legislative district. “Law enforcement will be looking for people who they have reasonable suspicion to believe are breaking the law. They cannot stop them based on the color of their skin.”

Both men say this is not about hating Hispanics: Ludders has a home in Mexico, and Earle lives in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood.

“This is about fixing a problem that has been plaguing our communities for a long time. If the federal government isn’t going to do anything, I’m proud of Arizona for stepping up to the plate,” Earle said.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • U.S.
soundoff (1,254 Responses)
  1. TammyB

Lisa: So what you are saying that anytime anyone does anything illegal in this country, we should consider that they have families, jobs, have contributed to society, etc.? Then we should give them a "Get Out of Jail Free" card, just because? It doesn't work that way for the majority of people in this country, so why should it work that way for people here ILLEGALLY? I sympathize with them, however, some have been here for 20 years, and have not even tried to become legal, to stop the madness that goes along with deportation. Families split, but whose fault is that? It is not those trying to enforce the laws.....it is the fault of the ones who are breaking said laws. Again I have to say, if I did something illegal tomorrow, and got caught, I would be punished. Why should a group of people be excluded from following the rules?

April 28, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Moose

Hey Matt - can't ANYONE just show their drivers license and go on their way?

ANSWER: YOU ARE CORRECT MOOSE!

MOOSE SAYS >>>> SHOW YOUR "PAPERS" (aka Drivers license)...OTHERWISE, HIT THE ROAD.

Keep in mind that if the illegal Mexicans didn't come here ILLEGALLY in droves, then we wouldn't be in this predicament.

GLAD TO SEE THIS IS GOING FORWARD. GO ARIZONA!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Jim

Let's start by deporting the head illegal, POTUS!

April 28, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Matt

Mr. Tea,

The difference is that the seatbelt laws in those states state that ONLY IF THEY PULL YOU OVER FOR SOMETHING ELSE CAN THEY NAB YOU FOR NO SEATBELT. Again, if the immigration law said something similar to allow protection for our citizens, then I would have no problem with it.

April 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Moose

Where I live, the cops stop people ALL THE TIME when they see them not wearing a seat belt. We have blockades on some streets where cops are lined up down the street to issue tickets to anyone who comes up to the stop light without a seat belt.

BUT THAT'S OK.

April 28, 2010 at 5:16 pm | Report abuse |
  6. DAN

I'M CONFUSED, WHY WOULD ANYONE THAT IS A LEGAL RESIDENT OF THE USA FEAR BEING STOPPED AND ASKED FOR THEIR ID?
    I'VE BEEN STOPPED MANY, MANY, MANY, TIMES AND NEVER WORRIED ABOUT ANYTHING UNLESS I DID SOMETHING WRONG.
    WHAT IS ALL THIS GARBAGE ABOUT FEAR? AFRAID TO GO OUT AND SHOP BECAUSE OF MAYBE GETTING STOPPED.
    YOU IDIOTS THAT ARE OF THE SAME MIND SET, GET A LIFE FOR YOURSELF, OTHERWISE GO THRU IMMIGRATION LIKE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO.
    THE USA OWES YOU N O T H I N G, GET IT, N O T H I N G.

April 28, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Moose

All summer long, the cops are randomly on street corners waving people over for not wearing seat belts. I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THAT!!!

Why?? BECUASE I FOLLOW THE LAW AND WEAR MY SEAT BELT. And if I get pulled over for not wearing my seat belt, then I say EXCELLENT!

April 28, 2010 at 5:17 pm | Report abuse |
  8. MissJay

I can't believe after all these years that people still think like this. Moose you're an idiot. So, are all the other people that think that by kicking illegal immigrants out is going to help. what we need is to make it easier for those that are here to become documented. I don't think Moose is going to go out in the fields to pick the crops. We need them. They are our life support.

April 28, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. DAN

THE USA OWES YOU N O T H I N G, GET IT, N O T H I N G.

April 28, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Report abuse |
  10. jojo

say what u want n pass all the laws u want. MEXICANS r here to stay!! If u don't like it get bac on the mayflower n don't let the ocean water splash u in the butt!!

April 28, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  11. mike

BOYCOTT ARIZONA!

April 28, 2010 at 5:19 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Lonzo Rinaldo

Extreme situation requires extreme measures. 1/2 million Illegal Mexicans. Running down the streets with the Mexican Flag, we have to make a stand. Or its all over for AZ.

April 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  13. rusty hook

What do bricks and FAT white women have in common?? They only get laid by mexicans! hahaha

April 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Moose

I know - it's so weird. Over the past 25 years, the cops would axe me for my "papers' (aka drivers license) when I got pulled over for speeading. Isn't that rude!!!!??? Oh, wait, that's right....the cops have always "discriminated" against me by axing me for my license. Oh, wait. NOPE. Sorry....that's how we do the "cops pulling me over" thing in this country. I need to cough up my "papers' to show that I have a license.

I love all the whining! Hialrious!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Chance

It's easy to be harsh when you don't have to worry about having the resources to take care of your family or ensure that you don't have to be on a waiting list for freedom because you were born here and you say everyone was created equal.

April 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Report abuse |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84