April 28th, 2010

Tea Partiers to illegal immigrants: 'Sign guestbook'

Lee Earle, left, and Ronald Ludders of Phoenix support Arizona's new immigration law.

Lee Earle, a self-identified “Tea Party facilitator” in Arizona, ground zero of the immigration debate, wants you to know that he supports immigration. He considers it the lifeblood of American society and the backbone of our economy – if it’s done legally.

“We want immigration. We need immigration! All we want is for people to sign the guestbook at the door,” said Earle, a Phoenix resident. “Being an illegal immigrant in Arizona is like trespassing. If you’re in my house and you’re not invited, then I have every right to send you out.”

Earle says he supports Arizona’s controversial new law targeting illegal immigration because it lets local law enforcement do what the federal government should be doing to stop people from entering the country unlawfully.

“When people come here without permission, when they come here illegally, they automatically become victims of the coyotes who bring them over and the employers who take advantage of their cheap labor,” Earle said. “Let them come legally so they can take advantage of all the wonderful services and opportunities this great nation has to offer and they can contribute in a meaningful way.”

Earle, a loquacious retiree who gesticulates frequently as he fires off in a stream-of-consciousness manner, shared his thoughts Tuesday night before a legislative district meeting at the Jumbo Buffet in a strip mall in southwest Phoenix.

Dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and jeans, his long gray hair pulled back, Earle said he blames health care, education and incarceration for illegal immigrants for contributing to the state’s $2 billion budget deficit.

“It’s a monetary thing for the state, because I’m a taxpayer but also a human concerned because they can’t take advantage of our legal system because they’re afraid of being deported,” he said.

Earle’s friend and fellow Tea Partier Ronald Ludders dismissed with a wave of the hand the suggestion that the bill encourages racial profiling.

“Illegal is not a race," said Ludders, who, like Earle, is a Republican precinct committeeman for his legislative district. “Law enforcement will be looking for people who they have reasonable suspicion to believe are breaking the law. They cannot stop them based on the color of their skin.”

Both men say this is not about hating Hispanics: Ludders has a home in Mexico, and Earle lives in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood.

“This is about fixing a problem that has been plaguing our communities for a long time. If the federal government isn’t going to do anything, I’m proud of Arizona for stepping up to the plate,” Earle said.

Post by:
Filed under: Arizona • Immigration • U.S.
soundoff (1,244 Responses)
  1. robyn

Fixed my meaning: Law officers that are in favor of the new AZ law.

April 30, 2010 at 5:47 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Erika

No doubt there are cartels and bad people who, while predominately operating in fixed areas of Mexico may be entering the U.S. However, that does not and should not mean an automatic indictment of ALL who are Hispanic as this dastardly law is seen to do by stopping those who look the part, and that could mean many people. No more than because there are U.S. gangsters who are predominately White, we should indict all Whites for the crimes gangsters commit and pass laws to stop and search Whites if they look the part, e.g., wearing sunglasses, overcoats, having friends with sunglasses near them, etc. to see if they're gangsters. That would be grossly unfair to many.

But Arizona's law is fraught with overtones of selective discrimination and therefore is not good for the state or any other state for that matter. I hope the state is savvy enough to understand the difference between doing things the right way and doing things the "selective" way which will undoubtedly open up many doors to lawsuits by the dozens upon dozens of organizations that are helping to protect innocent Hispanics who will be faced with being profiled and other acts against their rights which is unbecoming of America and its predominate culture.

April 30, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  3. AmendmentJoe

I would like for everyone so quick to blame Hispanics and support the new Arizona anti-immigration law to carefully read the following and see why Hispanics are having a very hard time dealing with this new law.

Fourth Amendment (Bill of Rights) to the U.S. Constitution

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, paper, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Now, what part of the 4th Amendment do people not understand in contrast with Arizona's new law that would remove the rights given to the people under the Constitution? It is all spelled out there for all to see. The state of Arizona mistakenly seems to think they can overrule or override this Amendment, which is Federal, and that's where they will find themselves sadly mistaken as the lawsuits start pouring in that will inevitably INVALIDATE Arizona's SB 1070. They need to heed this Amendment and follow it to a tee in order not to violate people's rights in the process of their witch hunts.

April 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Jim

In my experience, if they choose to, law enforcement will do pretty much anything they want to do. If they want to pull someone over it doesn't matter what color they are, they will and can allege any reason for doing so.

April 30, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Tab

Speaking about Latinos whom some believe cause crime in the U.S., a recent CNN News Story has some very interesting figures about that, indicating that such crime is down despite the presence of Mexican aliens and has been down for some time. So people should ease their fears in this regard. Also of worthy note is that the report says that crimes are more likely to be done by legal residents rather than illegals!

Yet, in light of these facts it is also said that Latinos continue to be discriminated against which is why perhaps some favor Arizona's bill because it could legally discriminate against that group of people. How terribly unfortunate and why it needs to be repealed immediately.

Thanks CNN for this report! Thanks again.

April 30, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Ploppies

Simple fact, reduce the amount of u.s. dollar being shipped out to 3rd world countries, the greater the economy will be.
    Keep people out of your state that will be breaking the law, not paying taxes and then shipping out cash to china,Mexico,south America or what ever, we are off to a better recovery.

Just because you can quote law, does not make that law an exception to the rule. and never is the exception to be the rule.

You know, I would love to see the owners of this site (just for study purposes) do a tracert on the ipp addies posted here and put up a flag next to the posetr's name to show where they are sending these messages from.

Some of you sound like british 4chan.

May 1, 2010 at 3:25 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. RealTalk

if it was only so easy for immigrants to sign a guestbook to get in, to even get a visa, you have to damn near sell your arm and leg in mexico. Why do you think illegal immigration is happening? How blind white america is...

May 1, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Christina

Well, the border governors are now weighing in on this controversial Arizona bill.

Four (4) governors whose states are bordering Arizona and/or Mexico have come out in OPPOSITION to the new Arizona immigration law. Rick Perry, Governor of Texas, a Republican, believes this law would not be good for his state (Texas.) Other governors, including California's, also a Republican, do not want such a law for their state.

As for the state of Texas, this is good news because a legislator (Republican) was proposing such a law as in Arizona for Texas. With Governor Rick Perry set against it, such a law if passed by both Texas Houses and sent to his desk for signature would be sure to be Vetoed.

So, it appears that governors of bordering states have the good sense to know which laws actually fit the letter of the law and which do not. Arizona's leaves much to be desired, being in contrast with the Fourth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution while also taking away duties the Federal INS is charged with enforcing, and leaving it up to local law enforcement which is one thing Texas Governor Rick Perry does not agree with. Great going, Governor Perry!

We hope to see an end to this Arizona travesty and penchant to stop people by using Nazi-like tactics to search and then condemn them based on their appearance.

GREAT GOING, GOVERNORS OF THE FOUR STATES!! There must be No Discrimination in your states and human rights must ALWAYS be preserved and must prevail first and foremost!

May 1, 2010 at 12:27 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Pasolini

That's right Christina! There must be No Discrimination in those states (or any other state!) Period.

May 1, 2010 at 12:33 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Matthew Peak

"Give me your tired, your poor,
    Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
    Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

May 1, 2010 at 4:14 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. AmendmentJoe

Amen, Matthew Peak, AMEN Brother!! Jesus is no doubt VERY disturbed by this ominous bill that removes human rights and dignity from people others don't like. May God Move To have this Arizona Law REPEALED!

May 1, 2010 at 6:23 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Zoid

Attn Alphamale.hunter.

As others have stated. You are an ignorant person. Turn off your CAPS button, back away from the keyboard and go brush your tooth...

May 2, 2010 at 12:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Stephen Powelson

If you want to live here. Then pay taxs pay youe due's and take only that you have comeing to you. I ask for nothing more then i work for . and i have nothing more then I have paid for.

May 2, 2010 at 4:20 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Omar Castillo

I am an American citizen serving (honorably) in the United States Marine Corps. I have black hair, brown skin, hieght wise: shorter side, my feet hurt from the miles and miles i have had to walk, run, and march in my service to this country, my body aches from the physical training I've endured for my country, Im cocky (comes with the Marine thing), I will never leave a friend or foe wanting or in need if I can help, I am currently 60 credits from a bachelors degree in Finace, i graduated with honors from my high school, I do/have done all of this because i love this country. Why do i tell you this? Because despite have had the priviledge of serving Uncle Sam there will be a day I leave the serivce there will be a day I get asked to prove that I deserve to be here (USA) by a police officer who "in the normal course of interaction with the public" will decide that he doesnt particularly like the way i paralle parked, there will be a day that my children will have to prove that they deserve to be here. My children will have it worse, not only will they be born to a Mexican born Naturalized citizen father but also a US born Indian decendant mother. So it pains me that there is still a group of people who desperatly want my mother kicked out of this country, who would shout "There is the door illegal, get out" to my father, To those individuals i say, i fight for you too and no matter how much you hate me and where i came from i will/have protec(ed) you. Im not saying accept those that do wrong but consider the Human in every "illegal" that you hate. The second you forget that these people are just that is the second we place this country on the path and mind set of those i fight against for you while you sleep, eat, vacation, insult and degrade my family, and wish for empty fields and parking lots. These people would like nothing more than to be legal citizen, unfortunalty, a hungry stomach can not wait the 15 years it took me to get my citizenship.

May 2, 2010 at 7:04 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Cecelia

Car bomb in Time Square? Now do people understand why Arizona is trying to protect the border? Many of us are for legal immigration. What part of illegal does the rest of the country not understand? We need those who support Arizona to speak up. We need conventions and groups to start coming to our state. We need to keep our economy going forward for those who are working and are legal. I carry my driver license when I travel in the United States. I carry my passport when I travel overseas. That is the only thing our state is asking: have identification on you at all times! Those of us who are legal do....

May 2, 2010 at 9:10 am | Report abuse | Reply