April 29th, 2010

Immigration protest set for Cubs-Diamondbacks game

The fierce debate over a new Arizona immigration law has spread to America's pastime as protesters plan to demonstrate against the city's baseball team on Thursday.

The protest will occur outside Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois, where the Arizona Diamondbacks will start a four-game series against the Chicago Cubs.

"America's favorite pastime will be hit with a reality check," the protest's organizers wrote on a Facebook page set up to publicize their rally. "Bring signs and banners to the protest."

By early Thursday morning, the Facebook group had more than 800 members.

The new Arizona law requires police to check whether a person is in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect he or she isn't.

Critics say the law could foster racial profiling.

Along with the protest at Wrigley Field, the group said it is planning a protest march for May 1.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration
  1. Donnajeanette

I have been going to Atizona for the past ten years for cancer check-ups, I have seen myself the increase in illegals, have seen them myself stealing into the country. The crime and violence with the drug cartels going through Tucson is incrediable. I am all for the police enforcement to arrest and deport all that are not in this country legally. I have friends that have come here legally and are now U.S citizens. They went through the paperwork and are wonderful people.
    The illegals have broken the law.If I break a law I will be arrested, I am a u.s. citizen and I expect the laws to be enforced. Hurray for the governor of Arizona.
    I suggest sending the state of AZ. donations to make up for the stupidity of the businesses trying to boycott the conventions there. Help make up for the lost revenue, If that is legal to donate to a city that you support and respect the laws.

May 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Report abuse |
  2. uscitizen

I work for a state office and day in – day out Illegal Aliens are raping the system the STATE of TEXAS NEEDS TO PUT AND END TO THE FRAUD AND ABUSE PERIOD! I may see one American Citizen in a month.
    1. America is paying for Illegal Aliens to have child, after child, after child, after child.
    2. Illegal Aliens receive free housing, utility assistance, medical and food, all at the American Tax payers cost and the numbers are staggering as I interview a hundreds of Illegal Aliens in a week (and I work with 14 other who have the same numbers), this is going on all over this country. I have interviewed American Senior Citizens who were once tax payers that now need help and can only receive $16.00 a month in food assistance while Illegal Aliens receive hundreds and often thousands because they have child, after child, after child, after child at American Tax payer’s expense.
    3. Illegal Aliens have added to their greed of America by stating "my child/children are hyper", so now Social Security is paying out thousands monthly for multiple Illegal Aliens in one household.
    4. America is being raped at every level by Illegal Aliens, Social Services, Education, Communities and Taxes to name a few. 90% of the Illegal Aliens I have interviewed have no respect for America . They demand that you speak Spanish; they demand that you give them medical, food, and shelter and never give back to this country; they are depleting Federal, State and Local programs daily!!!!
    I applaud Arizona and hope that the remaining state do the same!!!!!
    Illegal Aliens will bankrupt Social Services in America if something isn't done soon and it is probably too late!!!!
    ILLEGAL ALIENS should be sent back to their country as they entered the USA ILLEGALLY!!!!!!!!!

May 1, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Michael Fuentes

I like to comment on Arizona....I am not going to support any product manufacture or produced in the State of Arizona. I will boycott all sports related to Arizona teams.... I will not watch game sports as long as they have any Arizona players. I will not travel to Arizona even if have to go around to go the New Mexico or any other state east of California. If the Dodgers play with the Arizona D-Backs I will go and boycott the Dodgers too. To make myself clear I will not support and poliician of whatever political party he or she matbe from Arizona....John McCain...you are out of support list..And I hope you lose in your home state...Arizona governor whatever your name is....Please do not even think of coming to California or Los Angeles...You ARE NOT WELCOME...I will boycott your presence in my State...YOU ARE A PERSONA NON GRATA AND ALL YOUR STATE LEGISLATURE.

May 4, 2010 at 3:23 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TammyB

Too bad you won't be going to a lot of games, or watching a lot of things that come to Arizona first, Michael Fuentes. You won't be doing much for the next few months. I don't understand why you think this law is so terrible. If it is overturned, I am not going to give my ID to any policemen, as I will be letting everyone know that if the law excludes certain people that think they are above the law in this country, then I too, am joining them! I will be arrested because I am white and not following the rules. Discrimination!!! Then I will start a movement where all legal citizens of the USA, white, black, hispanic, etc. will cry "Profiling!" everytime we are asked to show our ID!!!! We will claim that the country is profiling LEGAL CITIZENS, and we believe that we are ABOVE THE LAW, since all ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS are! Maybe it will get the rest of us out of paying income tax, paying traffic infractions, etc. After all, if one group is excluded from being legal, I say let's ALL just be excluded. Let's not have ANY LAWS, okay?????

May 4, 2010 at 3:48 pm | Report abuse |
  5. marcia

GET IT????

May 4, 2010 at 4:47 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Paco

Yeah, protest a new Arizona law in Chicago to a baseball team.....that will make them change their minds!

May 4, 2010 at 6:25 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Taco

Maybe we should put up a fence around Chicago, I'll take the Mexicans over those cretans.

May 4, 2010 at 6:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Sergio

One thing I have to say, Armed Robbery. The mexicans lost their land. which happens to be 1/3 of this country. The Americans illegally colonized the northern Mexican province which included Tejas, Nuevo Mejico, Arisona, Colorado, Utah. Nevada, California and parts of Oregon, and then they used their guns to steal their land. Armed Robbery. But hey, that is in the past, history! Today, this great country of ours is the home of many races, and we need to do something to protect the legal citizens of this country, Arizona is doing their part, I think Mexico should be doing more to help out their legal citizens in their own country.

May 8, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Report abuse |