April 29th, 2010

Immigration protest set for Cubs-Diamondbacks game

The fierce debate over a new Arizona immigration law has spread to America's pastime as protesters plan to demonstrate against the city's baseball team on Thursday.

By early Thursday morning, the Facebook group had more than 800 members.

The new Arizona law requires police to check whether a person is in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect he or she isn't.

Critics say the law could foster racial profiling.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration
  1. Catiline

Clearly CNN needs to redo the article to ensure fairness. My rewrite is below.

Pro-Illegal Alien Group Plans Protest at Ballgame

The fierce debate over a new Arizona law to control illegal immigration has spread to America's pastime as protesters plan to demonstrate against the city's baseball team on Thursday. The demonstrators have not commented on the killing of the rancher, Arizona being the kidnap capital of the US and the fact that the state is running a huge defecit to carry the educational and health burdens of the illegals not to mention drug and human trafficking.

The protest will occur outside Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois, where the Arizona Diamondbacks will start a four-game series against the Chicago Cubs. It remains to be seen if t he protestors will throw bottles at the Chicago Police like they did at the Arizona Police and how Windy City cops will respond.

"America's favorite pastime will be hit with a reality check," the protest's organizers wrote on a Facebook page set up to publicize their rally. "Bring signs and banners to the protest." Supporters of the law were not interviewed. By early Thursday morning, the Facebook group had more than 800 members.

It is alleged that the new Arizona law requires police to check whether a person is in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect he or she isn't. This is not an automatic pullover at the whim of the officer. Actually the new law is based on and contains the same wording as the federal law. Police will not stop anyone who would not otherwise be of interest in a violation ( such as robbing an ice-cream store.)

Critics say the law could foster racial profiling. This has not been proved and is not based on any evidence.Along with the protest at Wrigley Field, the group said it is planning a protest march for May 1.

Post by: The CNN Wire/Catilina
    Filed under: Immigration

April 29, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  2. TJ

#144 Somratni:

I guess you and your family is fine to carry identification with you all the time and ready to court arrest if you forget it. Don't you think it is a bit extreme to be arrested if you forget your purse or wallet?

April 29, 2010 at 9:15 am | Report abuse |
  3. james

I bet they won't be protesting in Arizona against the Diamonbacks. Arrest them Sheriff Joe and send their butts back home.

April 29, 2010 at 9:16 am | Report abuse |
  4. marc

It is sad that all of you whining about illegals are all descendants of illegals. We tell the world that "WE" are the best and that anyone, well almost anyone can achieve their dreams here, but those freedoms and happinesses are only for the chosen few lucky enough to be born here. Or pay the price of entry. I am here of immigrant stock and I bet most of you low IQ's are too. With the exception of those we brought here on slave boats or those few who's ancestors actually were here before Jamestown. You all make me sick, I can't think of a better word. You selfish pieces of s... wait my immigrant grandmother taught me not to say bad things about others.

If the natives of America as we told them what it was called would have treated our ancestors as we now treat the rest of this world... we would still be in europe waiting for the next war of dominance to occur by other morons we believe to be civilized.

May God have mercy on your soul when he asks you how you treated his children.

Posted by: Peter
    Peter
    What are you blabbing about, you can come to this great country from foreign lands and become a citizen LEGALLY, the problem is that there are people who by the very act of being here are breaking the law because they haven't gone through the proper channels- that's why we call them ILLEGALS

Posted by: marc

What am I blabbing about? Work on you IQ some and read what I typed again, but do it real s l o w, so you allow the w o r d s to have meaning, But, you are exactly my point and may GOD have mercy on your soul and let's hope he really does forgive.

Posted by: Peter
    Peter
    you say your ignorant grandmother said don't say bad things about others but you do, I'm sure your making your grandmother really proud! Now you have the nerve to quote the bible but just like plopsdad said Romans 13: 1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves. the law is the law so get with it or get out!

April 29, 2010 at 9:17 am | Report abuse |
  5. Cronkie

Really protest at MLB? and gatherings a Cinco-de-mayo (sp) Great, get the bus!!!

April 29, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  6. Jason

I would assume the people protesting the law are LEGAL immigrants. They oppose the law because it causes them to become subject to racial profiling. Its sad that one race in Arizona will be singled out. Do white people in Montana get stopped becasue authroities think they are from Canada and here illegally. NO! I would compare this law to a non existent law that would require authorities to ask Muslim looking people in NYC if they are terrorists. Come on. There has to be a better way to combat illegal immigration then this. Im sure most of the people writing comments are white so they have never been subject to racial profiling. Im a white male so this kind of legislation would not affect me but does that make it right??

April 29, 2010 at 9:18 am | Report abuse |
  7. jason

Hey William (116) that is a good comment, except the fact that not too many Canadians or Europeans are "Illegally" entering into our country every year and putting an unwanted strain on our systems. I think we should close the gates to a large majority of all immigrants into America, only allow a certain (limited) number of people from each country in. I don't agree one bit with racial discrimination or anything of the sort but it is a proven fact that when these illegal hispanics come into an area the crime rates also increase. Yes there are hispanics and blacks in the police force, but they are here "Legally" and pay taxes and provide to the community. Unfortunately a lot of them probably are good people but America doesn't have the resources to take in everyone!

April 29, 2010 at 9:19 am | Report abuse |
  8. TexEcon

Recently I was driving in southwest Texas on Interstate 10 and had to stop at a checkpoint where a member of the US border police asked me and my girlfriend if we were US citizens. We are white. My girlfriend is not a US citizen so she had to show her passport and visa. Do all the people who oppose Arizona's new law think there is a difference in being asked to show your authority to be in the country legally depending on whether the law enforcement officer works for the federal government or a state? Also, has everyone forgotten the case a few years ago of the Mexican on death row in Texas who challenged his conviction based on the fact that the Mexican consulate had not been notified. The police had not asked if he was a US citizen.

April 29, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  9. TJ/

I am asking, watching news the last two days it appears that politicians in California offer a safe haven for illigals. If I were an illigal i would move to where the local government was in support of me.

April 29, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  10. Proud American

ARE YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS ? SO WHAT, ARIZONA PASSED A LAW TO MAKE IT LEGAL TO INFORCE A FEDERAL LAW. GLAD TO SEE THERE IS A STATE OUT THERE WITH A PAIR.

April 29, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  11. Dan Hull

I read one comment about if the illegals are sent back who would clean my house, mow my yard or watch my kids. Well the answer to that is I would. Most Americans clean their own house, mow their own yard and pay daycare to watch their children when they are at work. The person that left the comment must think all Americans are either rich or lazy.

April 29, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  12. Concerned about illegal immigration

I am sending a check for $1000.00 to Arizona to help cover their costs of enforcing our immigration laws. There will be legal battles and the cost of deporting the illegals. Please send money to Arizona.

April 29, 2010 at 9:20 am | Report abuse |
  13. marc

Marc, where did you get your education from?? Did you proof read your entry before posting (no capitalization, misspelling, improper punctation)?

Posted by: DSolomon
    Dsolomon
    I see you brought your english teacher with you. Have you looked at all the other comments, many are not grammatically correct but your just trying to pick me out because you don't like what I'm saying?

April 29, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |
  14. Michael

I don't think that you can say it's the illegal immigrants that are protesting this law. The people who are having the issue are the people that are here legally, who are awarded the same basic civil rights that the rest of us.

April 29, 2010 at 9:22 am | Report abuse |