April 29th, 2010

Immigration protest set for Cubs-Diamondbacks game

The fierce debate over a new Arizona immigration law has spread to America's pastime as protesters plan to demonstrate against the city's baseball team on Thursday.

The protest will occur outside Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois, where the Arizona Diamondbacks will start a four-game series against the Chicago Cubs.

"America's favorite pastime will be hit with a reality check," the protest's organizers wrote on a Facebook page set up to publicize their rally. "Bring signs and banners to the protest."

By early Thursday morning, the Facebook group had more than 800 members.

The new Arizona law requires police to check whether a person is in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect he or she isn't.

Critics say the law could foster racial profiling.

Along with the protest at Wrigley Field, the group said it is planning a protest march for May 1.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration
  1. cmgdm

Wow, there are some really cruel comments posted here. We are all human beings with feelings, thoughts, wants, needs and emotions. We all deserve a chance to be safe, secure and feel love and compassion. Just because you were fortunate enough to have been born in the US doesn't give you the right to decide the fate of others. Yes, these people came here illegally but there has to be a better way for everyone to peacefully coexist. If you lived in one of these border towns in Mexico were murders happen every single day, would you not to ANYTHING you could to get your family to a safe secure place. Send these people Love, that's what the world needs now, Love Sweet Love. We never know where our tax dollars go, if they didn't go to help illegal immigrants, they would go to bailing out banks or to fund something else. Your taxes won't go down if we close the borders and round up all the illegal people here.
    Find it in your heart to have some compassion for those less fortunate.

April 29, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |

I really believe if all sides and levels of the government are listening...the population in question is making this a race issue, not the government. It is an immigration bill..not a race determination bill. I have lived in Phoenix for 50 years..I have no problem with CITIZENS of any nationality living here. I do have a BIG PROBLEM with the people who have flaunted our laws and legal system for years. For those of you who believe this law is unjust..leave, its that simple. No one forced anyone to come here legally or illegally, and what makes our nation great is you have the same freedom to leave or stay. If you choose to stay..obey the laws..do not try to fight them. Since the law was signed, I have read everyday about families torn apart by this..well the partys over. If you came here illegally or brought family over illegally, you knew you were breaking the law when you did it, so face up to it now. Finally I am no lawyer.. but the Constitution of The United States was written to protect the CITIZENS of this great country, and if you are hear legally you have rights and are protected by it. If you are here illegally..NOT A CITIZEN...then I cannot see where you expect the same rights. This week I have read 2 additional articles, both about illegal familes that had the guts to face up to the wrong and are going home. I say bravo to them and wish them the best, maybe someday they can do it the right way and come back.

April 29, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  3. Mario Alston

The problem here is that so called americans who ancesters came to this country illegally and killed indians to take their land and then stole Aficans to build this country for them, raise their children and grow their food and then just like back then tried to vote to send Africans back to their home country after decades because they did not need them anymore because they started to be successful in this country taking money from their pockets. Same is happening now, they went to mexico this time without guns and chains but with lies telling these people come over and i will pay you to work on my farms and i promise i will get you citizenship to live in this country to make a life for yourself and then like greedy so called americans renigged on promise. Now they want the people they brought over to leave. How about you leave you stealing, lying and cheating so called americans. You throw your noses up in the air like you better than everyone but your living it up on slave and immigrants blood and sweat! The next 20 years you will be the minority in this country and will be taking a backseat and the oppressed will rule!!! Thats why they are so scared they see it coming! Black President was the start!

April 29, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  4. Lulu in Texas

To: William 4/29 8:52 – What a great idea! While they are at it, every town, city and state across this country that supports Arizona's stance should send a representative police officer to assist in enforcing the law. So they won't be accused of racial profiling, they should stop anyone and everyone with justifiable cause...white, black, brown, red, yellow, spotted and striped (anyone can be illegal) and ask for the whatever the identifying document is. Give them two weeks to comply and if they can't or refuse give them the choice to return to their country of origin or to a US sanctuary city willing to pay their way in society.

When they are done in Arizona send the team to Texas. I am tired of the filth, the ignorance of our language and laws, of pressing 1 for English, our children being "immersed" in Spanish, Spanish labeling/billboards and our resources going to non-citizens.

April 29, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. marc

Unless it's changed most ILLEGALS don't even have a license to drive and I assume you do. So you shouldn't worry – unless you don't like following rules which every state has that you must carry a valid drivers license, if you carry it then you're covered and only people who are ILLEGAL will have a problem

Marc – In many states illegals are permitted to get drivers licenses. Drivers licenses are not proof of citizenship or anything else, except passing the exam. I have a number of friends who have no driver's license. Especially where I am from (originally outside NYC), there are now 'generations of unlicensed drivers', simply because they live and work in the City. Any place they go they use public transportation. So, the driver's license bar isn't nearly high enough.

Truthfully, my passport is home in my safe. Were I to be asked to prove anything RIGHT NOW, HERE AT WORK, I'd have to drive 12 miles to get my passport. Others are right, too, when I travel in a foreign country, I carry my passport. Do the Brits carry theirs when they go shopping in London? To the French carry theirs when they go to dinner in Paris? I don't know, but I seriously doubt it. The only places known for the requirement to Always Have Your Papers with you were Nazi Germany and the USSR – two models I'm certain we don't relish emulating here.

Posted by: Glenn McIntyre
    Glenn, your right about the license but what about proof of insurance, registration. The thing is we need to start somewhere to fix the problem and this is a step in the right direction. I guess you complained about the new travel laws in the airport after 9/11 too didn't you

April 29, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. rpb

Somehow a whole class of people who have invaded this country illegally feel they have become entitled. This has nothing to do with immigration this has to do with breaking our laws and expecting to be rewarded for it. Try that in Germany or France.

April 29, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  7. TiredinArizona

IMHO-Why haven't the Feds done anything about the illegal immigration?? Is Obama's illegal aunt still in the US??? Food for thought. Why would he want to inforce such a policy when he has family here illegally. I live in Arizona and the primary language here is not English. OBAMA-Get off your ass and do something about it. For those that do not live in Arizona-try walking in our shoes before you scream racism! Constitutional RIghts-Illegals should have no rights in our county. So who is being hurt by all of this-WE THE AMERICANS and whose Constitutional Rights are violated-WE THE AMERICANS!

April 29, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  8. ac

A legal citizen can not even enjoy a passtime game after a hard day at work, because and illegal feels that his civil rights has been violated.

April 29, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  9. Sue0319

I live in AZ and am very opposed to this stupid racist law. (For the record I am a white middle class middle age female.) However, protesting at a Cubs vs Dbacks game in Chicago is just plain stupid. Baseball has nothing to do with it. Come protest at our Capital in Phoenix and you will have a valid point. I hope to see you here, so I can join in, where it might make a difference.

Are the illegals going to start another riot in phoenix during their 'protest'--like they did last week

Are they going to smear refried beans all over the buildings again--like they did a few days ago.

Are they going to threaten to burn the city down-–like they did a few days ago

April 29, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  10. Sgt. USMC

There's a lot of stupidity floating around on this blog, it is ridiculous. Most people who support the az law have a ligitimate point, we have an illegal immigrant problem. I agree but I do not support this law. Why? Because it leaves too much room for discrimination. Supporters of this law seem to disregard the fact that the latino community feel threatened by the discriminative nature of this law. By the way, when I say latino community I do not mean illegal immigrants. For those of you who fail to notice the difference, I am sorry your parents weren't more open minded with you.

Latinos were here since this nation first began so check yourself if you are one of the ones who says they should "go back to where they came from"... they are here. The bottom line is that as a Marine war vet I have fought next to latino Marines, they are my brothers and I am proud to say that this country belongs to them as much as it belongs to those who fought for civil rights and those who fought in both WW. If you have a problem with that then pick a nation that will suppress those who fight for it, pick a nations that will keep it's people under constant fear of the government. Try North Korea, I hear the weather is nice in the summer. If not, shut your trap because your whining and bigoted comments are making our beautiful nation look bad.
    As far as this law goes, it will disappear. It probably won't even make it to the supreme court. Goodbye.

April 29, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  11. sbrown

800 people on facebook thats not news

Lets see how many american flags will fly at this rally. Lets see how many people have signs that say "we love america"
    lets see how many signs say "we went to be free like legals"

and how many of these protesters even deal with illegal immigration

what a crock bunch of silly northerners trying to tell an invaded state to continue to let the lame, ineffective federal government to continue to let aliens cross into our country

SEAL THE BORDER, throw the illegals out and there would be no need for this las

bunch of high and mighty morons

April 29, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |

I seen Arpio on 360 yesterday and what an a-hole!Seriously this guy reminds me of Bull O'Connor of the 60's...

April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  13. Joselyn

Out with the whites! Oops, I mean illegal Canadians.
    Out with the blacks! Oops, I mean illegal Africans.
    Out with the chinks! Oops, I mean illegal Asians.

Notice no one mentions those illegals huh? Also notice that when referencing illegals "Mexicans" are the only ones that come to some you all's narrow minds. You want to back the law? Then do it thoroughly and with order. Set up highway check points in the morning that require you to show your identification on the way to work. Oh wait, that will never happen b/c most of you will feel your constitutional right is being challenged. Guess what, it is...

I am latina and legal, I'll be damned if someone asks me for my proof of residence while I make a run to the store.

Some of you argue that as a latina that is legal I should be proud in showing that I am documented. No one said that I wasnt, but if you are going to ask me, you sure as hell better ask my white friend, my black friend, and my asian friend for proof of residency. With the econonmy as it stands now, employment in the police field is low. You know what that means? Not enough officers to ask everyone, so they'll stick to what they think they know. "If they're brown and speak Spanish, they're probably illegal." Geniuses...

April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  14. bwnewkid27

I don't think anybody realizes that Policemen say that they profile people regardless of the law. The reason for this is because profiling works, and it is in a lot of cases correct. There is nothing wrong with profiling or this law, it is not that hard to have a wallet on you at all times with a drivers license in it, I do, and so does anyone with any sense.

April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  15. Sue0319

Obama's illegal auntie is still living off of the tax payers in Massachusetts--she is living in low income housing paid for by the tax payers.

April 29, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |