April 29th, 2010

Immigration protest set for Cubs-Diamondbacks game

The fierce debate over a new Arizona immigration law has spread to America's pastime as protesters plan to demonstrate against the city's baseball team on Thursday.

The protest will occur outside Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois, where the Arizona Diamondbacks will start a four-game series against the Chicago Cubs.

"America's favorite pastime will be hit with a reality check," the protest's organizers wrote on a Facebook page set up to publicize their rally. "Bring signs and banners to the protest."

By early Thursday morning, the Facebook group had more than 800 members.

The new Arizona law requires police to check whether a person is in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect he or she isn't.

Critics say the law could foster racial profiling.

Along with the protest at Wrigley Field, the group said it is planning a protest march for May 1.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration
  1. Lulu in Texas

To: William 4/29 8:52 – What a great idea! While they are at it, every town, city and state across this country that supports Arizona's stance should send a representative police officer to assist in enforcing the law. So they won't be accused of racial profiling, they should stop anyone and everyone with justifiable cause...white, black, brown, red, yellow, spotted and striped (anyone can be illegal) and ask for the whatever the identifying document is. Give them two weeks to comply and if they can't or refuse give them the choice to return to their country of origin or to a US sanctuary city willing to pay their way in society.

When they are done in Arizona send the team to Texas. I am tired of the filth, the ignorance of our language and laws, of pressing 1 for English, our children being "immersed" in Spanish, Spanish labeling/billboards and our resources going to non-citizens.

April 29, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse |
  2. marc

Unless it's changed most ILLEGALS don't even have a license to drive and I assume you do. So you shouldn't worry – unless you don't like following rules which every state has that you must carry a valid drivers license, if you carry it then you're covered and only people who are ILLEGAL will have a problem

Marc – In many states illegals are permitted to get drivers licenses. Drivers licenses are not proof of citizenship or anything else, except passing the exam. I have a number of friends who have no driver's license. Especially where I am from (originally outside NYC), there are now 'generations of unlicensed drivers', simply because they live and work in the City. Any place they go they use public transportation. So, the driver's license bar isn't nearly high enough.

Truthfully, my passport is home in my safe. Were I to be asked to prove anything RIGHT NOW, HERE AT WORK, I'd have to drive 12 miles to get my passport. Others are right, too, when I travel in a foreign country, I carry my passport. Do the Brits carry theirs when they go shopping in London? To the French carry theirs when they go to dinner in Paris? I don't know, but I seriously doubt it. The only places known for the requirement to Always Have Your Papers with you were Nazi Germany and the USSR – two models I'm certain we don't relish emulating here.

Posted by: Glenn McIntyre
    Glenn, your right about the license but what about proof of insurance, registration. The thing is we need to start somewhere to fix the problem and this is a step in the right direction. I guess you complained about the new travel laws in the airport after 9/11 too didn't you

April 29, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  3. rpb

Somehow a whole class of people who have invaded this country illegally feel they have become entitled. This has nothing to do with immigration this has to do with breaking our laws and expecting to be rewarded for it. Try that in Germany or France.

April 29, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  4. TiredinArizona

IMHO-Why haven't the Feds done anything about the illegal immigration?? Is Obama's illegal aunt still in the US??? Food for thought. Why would he want to inforce such a policy when he has family here illegally. I live in Arizona and the primary language here is not English. OBAMA-Get off your ass and do something about it. For those that do not live in Arizona-try walking in our shoes before you scream racism! Constitutional RIghts-Illegals should have no rights in our county. So who is being hurt by all of this-WE THE AMERICANS and whose Constitutional Rights are violated-WE THE AMERICANS!

April 29, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  5. ac

Incredible!
    A legal citizen can not even enjoy a passtime game after a hard day at work, because and illegal feels that his civil rights has been violated.
    Incredible!

April 29, 2010 at 10:59 am | Report abuse |
  6. Sue0319

I live in AZ and am very opposed to this stupid racist law. (For the record I am a white middle class middle age female.) However, protesting at a Cubs vs Dbacks game in Chicago is just plain stupid. Baseball has nothing to do with it. Come protest at our Capital in Phoenix and you will have a valid point. I hope to see you here, so I can join in, where it might make a difference.

====================================

Are the illegals going to start another riot in phoenix during their 'protest'--like they did last week

Are they going to smear refried beans all over the buildings again--like they did a few days ago.

Are they going to threaten to burn the city down-–like they did a few days ago

April 29, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sgt. USMC

There's a lot of stupidity floating around on this blog, it is ridiculous. Most people who support the az law have a ligitimate point, we have an illegal immigrant problem. I agree but I do not support this law. Why? Because it leaves too much room for discrimination. Supporters of this law seem to disregard the fact that the latino community feel threatened by the discriminative nature of this law. By the way, when I say latino community I do not mean illegal immigrants. For those of you who fail to notice the difference, I am sorry your parents weren't more open minded with you.

Latinos were here since this nation first began so check yourself if you are one of the ones who says they should "go back to where they came from"... they are here. The bottom line is that as a Marine war vet I have fought next to latino Marines, they are my brothers and I am proud to say that this country belongs to them as much as it belongs to those who fought for civil rights and those who fought in both WW. If you have a problem with that then pick a nation that will suppress those who fight for it, pick a nations that will keep it's people under constant fear of the government. Try North Korea, I hear the weather is nice in the summer. If not, shut your trap because your whining and bigoted comments are making our beautiful nation look bad.
    As far as this law goes, it will disappear. It probably won't even make it to the supreme court. Goodbye.

April 29, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  8. sbrown

800 people on facebook thats not news

Lets see how many american flags will fly at this rally. Lets see how many people have signs that say "we love america"
    lets see how many signs say "we went to be free like legals"

and how many of these protesters even deal with illegal immigration

what a crock bunch of silly northerners trying to tell an invaded state to continue to let the lame, ineffective federal government to continue to let aliens cross into our country

SEAL THE BORDER, throw the illegals out and there would be no need for this las

bunch of high and mighty morons

April 29, 2010 at 11:00 am | Report abuse |
  9. LIBERAL

I seen Arpio on 360 yesterday and what an a-hole!Seriously this guy reminds me of Bull O'Connor of the 60's...

April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  10. Joselyn

Out with the whites! Oops, I mean illegal Canadians.
    Out with the blacks! Oops, I mean illegal Africans.
    Out with the chinks! Oops, I mean illegal Asians.

Notice no one mentions those illegals huh? Also notice that when referencing illegals "Mexicans" are the only ones that come to some you all's narrow minds. You want to back the law? Then do it thoroughly and with order. Set up highway check points in the morning that require you to show your identification on the way to work. Oh wait, that will never happen b/c most of you will feel your constitutional right is being challenged. Guess what, it is...

I am latina and legal, I'll be damned if someone asks me for my proof of residence while I make a run to the store.

Some of you argue that as a latina that is legal I should be proud in showing that I am documented. No one said that I wasnt, but if you are going to ask me, you sure as hell better ask my white friend, my black friend, and my asian friend for proof of residency. With the econonmy as it stands now, employment in the police field is low. You know what that means? Not enough officers to ask everyone, so they'll stick to what they think they know. "If they're brown and speak Spanish, they're probably illegal." Geniuses...

April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  11. bwnewkid27

I don't think anybody realizes that Policemen say that they profile people regardless of the law. The reason for this is because profiling works, and it is in a lot of cases correct. There is nothing wrong with profiling or this law, it is not that hard to have a wallet on you at all times with a drivers license in it, I do, and so does anyone with any sense.

April 29, 2010 at 11:01 am | Report abuse |
  12. Sue0319

==========================================

Obama's illegal auntie is still living off of the tax payers in Massachusetts--she is living in low income housing paid for by the tax payers.

April 29, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  13. denise

ok i get it. It's ok to come "back" to Texas and take it back all in the name of economics and "minority discrimination?". First of all this particular group is not the minority and this is by design. Vicente Fox voiced in an interview over 10 years ago that "We will take Texas back and not fire a single shot!". Guess what? when a carefully orchestrated plan is in place the actions that you see today are the results of this plan. Illegals are not just here to help the poor ignorant people of Texas – the plan is in place and the push for the outcome realized. That's why you have the protests! Can the various Indian tribes "TAKE BACK" all the land that belonged to them during the TRAIL OF TEARS? AAHH--NO. Don't be fooled by "we have rights too". Sure there are human rights but what right do you have by coming to a state(s) illegally? Settling here and getting jobs to which one's only qualification is that you're Bi-lingual. Believe me Mexican illegal immigrants are not being paid minimum wage as one would have you believe. They're making the money that you and i cannot receive because of their bi-lingual status and no other qualification. Oh and guess what those who cannot speak English do so by "CHOICE!". I was once bi-lingual (English/Spanish) and decided to end this when I would speak first in English and get the proverbial "me no speak English". After attempting to communicate in English then I would communicate in Spanish and would get the stare and departure. This confirmed for me the seriousness of the "TAKE OVER". It's only common sense. If I came to your house and wanted to take it over, I would gain your sympathy, have you help me and bring some friends. By the end of the day you're helping me, my family, my friends and before you know it we will have your house and guess what "I speak no English" so you don't understand what I'm saying.Once I take over you have to conform to my ways and speak "MY LANGUAGE". Oh and by the way I also have your job because my family, friends need work and a place to live---you don't. What a plan!!!!!!

April 29, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  14. Daniel

90% of you complaining have probably never been racially profiled. As an American Citizen of hispanic descent, I'm infuriated that because I don't look like I belong here I should provide proof that I am in fact a US Citizen.

The people complaining are hardly those that are illegal or have illegal family. Those that are complaining are people like me.

I Look Mexican, so I must be illegal.

That is what this law is going to cause.

April 29, 2010 at 11:02 am | Report abuse |
  15. josephS

It's funny. Mexico has laws that prohibit foreigners from protesting government policies.
    And, Diana, stay out if you hate America so much.

April 29, 2010 at 11:03 am | Report abuse |