April 29th, 2010

Immigration protest set for Cubs-Diamondbacks game

The fierce debate over a new Arizona immigration law has spread to America's pastime as protesters plan to demonstrate against the city's baseball team on Thursday.

The protest will occur outside Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois, where the Arizona Diamondbacks will start a four-game series against the Chicago Cubs.

"America's favorite pastime will be hit with a reality check," the protest's organizers wrote on a Facebook page set up to publicize their rally. "Bring signs and banners to the protest."

By early Thursday morning, the Facebook group had more than 800 members.

The new Arizona law requires police to check whether a person is in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect he or she isn't.

Critics say the law could foster racial profiling.

Along with the protest at Wrigley Field, the group said it is planning a protest march for May 1.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration
  1. Erica Natalya Efros

Instead of voicing my disgust with the hateful posters who support the awful law in Arizona and their often blatantly racist comments, I will use a few academic papers that happen to be at hand at the moment to state some relevant points that should be considered. First of all, if you study the history of the illegal drug trade, you will learn that the United States greatly facilitated the import of such drugs from Mexico during World War II because we had a high demand for both hemp and opiates during wartime, and at the same time, they disrupted the "French Connection," which was the primary means of importing heroin into the United States (Agar, Michael and Heather Schacht Reisinger. "Numbers and Petterns: Heroin Indicators and What They Represent." Human Organization 58.4 (1999): 365-374). The takeover of parts of Mexico by drug lords is a serious problem in Mexico, and we bear much of the responsibility for that. In addition, major corporations from the United States have further contributed to problems in Mexico. The exploitative nature of Latin American cities (an effect of the Spanish colonization of Latin America) made them attractive to foreign industrialized companies, and Latin America became dominated by the United States. Due to inflation, land became a valuable investment commodity, increasing the prices of land, and thus causing the poor to be unable to afford housing (Portes, Alejandro and John Walton. Urban Latin America: The Political Condition from Above and Below. Complete citation information unavailable at the moment). Also, most of the industrial capital in Mexico is owned by foreign investors (Portes, Alejandro. The Economy and Ecology of Urban Poverty. Urban Latin America. Ed. Alejandro Portes and John Walton. Austin, TX: University of Texas Press. 1976). The World Bank and IMF’s policies along with outside (especially American) interference and high interest rates on loans have caused most of Latin America to be unable to develop the way neoliberal policy assumes it should. Moreover, even successful neoliberal economies are not necessarily good for the people. Neoliberal economics do not work with populist democracies as evidenced by Mexico. (Galbraith, James. The Brazilian Swindle and the Larger International Monetary Problem. Complete citation information unavailable at the moment). Sociology and Latin-American Studies expert, Dr. Fernandez-Kelly, a Mexican-born professor at Princeton University provides evidence that an effective way to facilitate legal immigrants' integration into American society is for our government to have friendlier policies towards all immigrants (Fernandez-Kelly, Patricia. Divided Fates: Immigrant Children in a Restructured U.S. Economy. Complete citation information unavailable at the moment). It seems to me that the racist conservative reactionaries who have posted should consider what happened in Miami after the Cuban revolution most carefully of all. The massive Cuban migration was met with howls of protest by the Anglo community and its primary publication, the "Miami Herald." A good example of the Anglo opposition to the Cuban immigration was the anti-Spanish referendum, denying government aid to any programs not conducted in English. This, in turn, caused the Cubans, formerly only concerned with their internal affairs and the political situation on the island, to which they believed they would soon return, to rise up and defend themselves, eventually resulting in the tremendous political power held by Cuban-Americans in Miami and the rest of Florida. I hope and expect that Mexican-Americans will likewise take control of Arizona's political power because of the anti-Latino policies there. I know that I, the daughter of a Mexican immigrant (she is legal, which I mention so that I am not accused of only protesting the law because of relations to illegal immigrants), was not interested in Arizona at all until this law was passed. Now, I have made plans to go to Arizona to write, protest, and most importantly, to help organize legal Mexican-American immigrants and their descendants into a a political power to be reckoned with, hopefully assisting in the process of turning Arizona into a blue state with a massive amount of Mexican-American government officials.. Like my Mexican-born mother, I have pale skin, and in addition, I have blue eyes and blonde hair. If racial profiling is not going on, then I expect to be questioned by police. I'm guessing I won't be. I'm not treated that way when I visit my grandmother in El Paso (though she, a legal immigrant, is constantly harassed by police). I'll be speaking a lot of Spanish, I'd imagine. English is one of the most difficult languages to learn, and the United States of America does not have an official language, anyway. Thank you to the Mexican-fearing morons who've posted for making me re-read a lot of brilliant work and for making my trip to Arizona the priority it should have been as soon as I realized that I needed to go fight for civil liberties there. Estoy segura que ustedes tengan esperos para mi exito. If you don't understand that last sentence, and you live in the Southwest, you ought to start taking Spanish.

April 29, 2010 at 11:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. LONG LIVE LA RAZA

I can’t wait till WE the Hispanics take over this gorgeous country! I am a second generation Mexican American who serves this country more than most typical “whites” do. We are increasing not only in colossal numbers but are becoming smarter and have started to penetrate powerful organizations across America and started to take over government vicinities as well. This is the reason why all the whites are enraged. They know their dynasty is starting to fall and we are going to become the majority of the U.S.A. No matter if a reorganization passes or not, illegals are coming here every day. So keep deporting them if you want. Spend hard earned tax dollars on free rides for them. Do you frankly think they stay there? NOPE they come right back. So what happens to all of the money you just spent on sending them home, plus the free meals in jail while they sit and wait for that bus to take them back? WASTED!! So keep talking, it’s pleasant to see how nervous you are because that’s the bottom line. You are worried that we are taking over! You’ve said it repeatedly yourselves in these comments. Thanks for the attention, I can’t wait to get pulled over in Arizona by an idiot cop who profiled me but says there is “reasonable suspicion” that I may be illegal. This might be an opportunity to sue the state and get rich for a civil rights violation. (Sigh)…I am sure there are many Chicanos that feel the same way. So bring it! That’s if this law isn’t shattered down before it begins.

April 29, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. marc

That's right Marc. I do. Because I am not some coward that needs to give up all my civil liberties because I am afraid of another 9/11 or I am afraid of some Mexican boogeymen. Why are the right wing so scared and why do they have to run and cry for more police protection and more searches and less freedoms and less privacy? Are you that scared of Middle Easterners and Mexicans? Coward.

Posted by: Karl Moon
    Karl
    that is your right to whine, b*@ch, and moan but it's not about boogeymen, it's about real people who wish to do this great nation wrong

April 29, 2010 at 11:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Mario

Its funny people never see a problem when it does not affect them directly! They say, It's never a problem until it affects them! Same white people get mad when they have to show ID to pull money out of the bank, but now they say they don't see the big deal on having to show your documentation everywhere you go! If they passed a law stating that we want to find illegal europeans in this country, lets see how many white people legal and illegal would go crazy, because thay could fit that pofile to get harrassed walking down the street, with family at park or at work. This is gods land and you came killed indians to claim this land and try to put up walls around it to keep other races unlike yours off of it! Killed africans and stole from south africa all the riches. Invading middle east for your greed for oil. A time will come. Judgement day will come for you one day and you will have to repent for the sins of yourself and your fathers! You may live like you are superior on this earth but lets see how your next life will be. The first shall be last! I love life and the pursuit of happiness for all man kind, not just one.

April 29, 2010 at 11:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Greg

I don't know what happened with Lou Dobbs, but he was the main reason I watched CNN, and would love to see him back. I am so sick and tired of all of the analysts in the media trying to influence political and social positions of people to a position that they want endorsed. CNN and MSNBC are liberal and FOX is conservative, and those are the views you are going to get. The position that CNN is promoting, and especially MSNBC, is one of liberal bias to the point of anger at the ARIZONA LAW. I agree with what seems to be 90% of the comments, and that is they are here ILLEGALLY. THEY ARE BREAKING THE LAW. The vast majority of illigalls are people coming from south of the border, this is a fact. They come here and get free medical care in our emergency rooms, don't pay taxes, join or create gangs, bring down the quality of life, bring drugs into our country, commit crimes to include murder (the rancher in Arizona is but one example), and expect us to cater to their needs instead of assimilation into AMERICAN society. Why do we have to have signs, among other things that are in spanish? There was one comment about how this planned protest at the baseball game would probably have mexican flags. This is probably going to happen. If you want to be an American, then leave the mexican flag at the border when you cross it ILLEGALLY. This is not Mexico. I want to see CNN and MSNBC talk about and acknowledge the fact that 70% of Arizona residents FAVOR this LAW, and from all of the blogs and comments here and elsewhere, I will venture to say that the same percentage of poeple in FAVOR of this law is shared nationwide. This is another example of political correctness out of control. This is a democracy, and in order for democracy to work...MAJORITY RULES. The politicians in Washington are to concerned over votes which means staying in power and getting their pockets filled with loobbyist money(buying votes) to do anything about it. DO WHAT IS RIGHT AND WHAT THE LAW STATES without worrying about polls, votes, and stepping on toes. To have this LAW overturned by some lawyer representing the ILLEGALS in some circus court, would be a slap in the face ot every American citizen and to the laws already on the books that govern this nation. I support the law enforcement agencies, the Governor, and the will of the 70% MAJORITY of the state of Arizona. There are such things as enforcing the law and protecting and respecting states' rights.

April 29, 2010 at 11:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Miami Lawyer

plopsdad: Certainly. It is section B of the code.

April 29, 2010 at 11:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. Ray- U.S.A.

ILLEGAL MEANS ILLEGAL.
    PERIOD.
    AMERICA 4 AMERICANS AND ANYONE WHO WANTS TO JOIN US LEGALLY!

April 29, 2010 at 11:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. BB

Just wait – more and more states will follow AZ when all the illegals flee to their states. That will be funny to see. Also, real Federal Immigration will never happen with a liberal Left-wingnut president. WAY TO GO ARIZONA! Way to stand up for yourselves and take matters into your own hands.

April 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. bwnewkid27

Miami Lawyer, reasonable suspicion can be determined in many ways. There can even be reasonable suspicion for standing on a street corner based on the circumstances, so anybody could be subject to reasonable suspicion if there is a possibility of a crime being committed, even illegal immigrants (which in their cases, there is always a crime being committed)

April 29, 2010 at 12:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Miami Lawyer

"B. For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of this state or a law enforcement official or a law enforcement agency of a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person, except if the determination may hinder or obstruct an investigation. "

This means that if someone DOES NOT provide this identification, the ARE presumed to be an alien. There is no “probable cause” required before LE can stop ANYONE and require they present this proof. The law only specifies “reasonable suspicion” as the standard for detention, and under the Terry Stop doctrine, LE may use force to detain you. The “reasonable suspicion” standard is easily achieved by any officer willing to lie about what they saw you do or heard you say. They need provide no actual evidence of a crime of any kind. In fact, “reasonable suspicion” attains if the officer thinks you MIGHT ABOUT TO commit a crime!

Currently in the US a cop cannot stop you out in public and simply demand that you “show your papers”. In fact, we’re entitled to just walk away from a police officer asking any question whatsoever, as long as we aren’t already being detained — and then we have the right to remain silent until we obtain counsel. This ID requirement goes far beyond simply identifying who you are by name and address — it’s PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP that is demanded.

This law then makes it a requirement that everyone carry proof of citizenship on them at all times, even when just walking. That’s a historic infringement of personal liberty. Worse, the law is far too vague about what constitutes acceptable ID, beyond an AZ state ID. It permits only government-issued ID that itself required proof of citizenship to obtain.

April 29, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Carolyn Sulak

In response to:

so many people say that it is wrong for illegals to be in this country. this i ask you, how many of you can trace back to when your ancestors came through ellis ilsand? can you trace back and find proof that they did all the paper work to be legal in this country?

Posted by: nathanael micklos

i am third generation American on one side of my family. I can honestly say that I can trace my ancestors back to Ellis Island. I also have copy of my great grandfathers citzenship papers. I have researched my family on both sides and while on side came here in the 1800's the otherside was here in the 1600's and some even fought in the Revolutionary war on America's side.

Let the illegals come in like our ancestors did – legally. GO ARIZONA

April 29, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. bwnewkid27

I HAVE A GREAT IDEA! why doesn't Arizona just offer free bus rides to any illegal immigrants to the Sanctuary of San Francisco? Let san francisco deal with it, not the parts of our country that actually matter

April 29, 2010 at 12:03 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Sgt. USMC

mofoman

You're right, it's the beginning of the end. The end of your world as you know it. Pretty soon you may have to push 9 for english. I bet that will put your panties in a bunch, won't it? Personally, I have visited many countries and have felt welcomed in everyone of them. Although I only spoke english, it was very delightful to see that people still can communicate with a smile and a full plate of food. That wouldn't be so bad for America right now.

I know that no matter how the face of The United State of America may change, we will always support and defend our Constitution. It's what we live and die for in the service... which is why this law is unconstitutional and I don't support it. Move on!

April 29, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. bwnewkid27

miamilawyer, so your basically saying that cops (the people who risk their lives to protect us legal citizens) are a bunch of liars and biggots, what a proud american you must be

April 29, 2010 at 12:05 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Dennis

Don't blame the politcians or citizens of Arizona.This is the fault of the Federal Govt. who fails to protect the citizens of that state and any other state that borders Mexico.Arizona is the gateway to illegal immigration in America.There are estimated 460,000 illegals living there.The Feds have failed to deploy U.S.Army or National Guard troops to safeguard us.I live near Tucson,Az.Tucson is just 60 north of the U.S.-Mexico border.Everday here I can pick up the newspaper and read about crimes commited by border crossers.Some of them are violent crimes including murders,rapes,assaults,kidnappings,home invasions,burglaries,auto theft,human smuggling and massive drug smuggling.Some of these murders have been of US.citizens .Numerous assaults have been committed against U.S.Border Patrol and Homeland Security agents.Google in"Tohono O'Odham Nation"and look for the crimes committed on the nearby Indian(Native American) Reservation and see what is shown on their crime database.If you do not live here in S.Arizona,you have no real reason to comment on the passage of this State Bill,for you have no knowledge of the crisis and the danger imposed upon nearby residents.This is not a full scale roundup and deportation of Mexican-American U.S.citizens.This is an attempt to stem the flow of criminal activity and the enterprise of the Mexican drug cartels.This criminal activity also includes illegal border crossing.

April 29, 2010 at 12:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply