April 29th, 2010

Immigration protest set for Cubs-Diamondbacks game

The fierce debate over a new Arizona immigration law has spread to America's pastime as protesters plan to demonstrate against the city's baseball team on Thursday.

The protest will occur outside Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois, where the Arizona Diamondbacks will start a four-game series against the Chicago Cubs.

"America's favorite pastime will be hit with a reality check," the protest's organizers wrote on a Facebook page set up to publicize their rally. "Bring signs and banners to the protest."

By early Thursday morning, the Facebook group had more than 800 members.

The new Arizona law requires police to check whether a person is in the United States legally if there is a reason to suspect he or she isn't.

Critics say the law could foster racial profiling.

Along with the protest at Wrigley Field, the group said it is planning a protest march for May 1.

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration
  1. D Concerned

I call on ALL State Gov's to follow AZ, and Send them ALL Back !!!! LET's BOYCOT MEXICO !!.........And by the way I am a, "Legal Hispanic."........... ACCOMPLISHED THE RIGHT WAY !!!

April 29, 2010 at 7:37 am | Report abuse |
  2. bristar

If they are disturbing the peace in Chicago, by federal law they are supposed to be carrying their immigration papers at all times. If they are here illegally what a great way to set the mood and have them arrested and sent home. And it's one, two, three strikes your out at the old ball game.

April 29, 2010 at 7:38 am | Report abuse |
  3. Michele

Baseball, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet. Nothing in there about illegal people here in the country. Getting illegals to leave our country...Arizona, you're doing it right!

April 29, 2010 at 7:39 am | Report abuse |
  4. Jeff Webster

It is high time that we enforse thee laws of this land.

The illegals and their supporters apparently do not respect the law and the bone headed pols stand around and support this crap. To the rail box cars with them all and send the buggers South. All of the folks who employ illegals are felons and need to be jailed and their property taken. That is the law folks. Levebworth may need expanding.

To heck with people like the "mayor" of San Francisco. Send him on his way as well.

Bristolkid

April 29, 2010 at 7:41 am | Report abuse |
  5. dahan mohamed

when I served in the U.S. Navy I gave an oath to our flag. It still is one of the most profound moments in my life. I am not sure Illegal Immigrants even know what nationalism is. Perhaps for an Illegal Immigrant from Mexico it means go to America and leave Mexico, and contribute to their own countries demise ; all the while putting strain on America. Illegal immigrants overburden out economy, replace American jobs and are changing the demographic of our society. It is these illegal families who are having more children then the average American. I will not believe the argument that the jobs these Illegal Immigrants are doing Americans snub there noses at. That is just bullshit. Since the jobs the Jobs the Illegals are doing are most jobs,..not just picking vegetables and cooking and doing dishes. Yes there are highly skilled laborers who work here illegally and they don't get paid as much I have to disagree with one blogger Ben Haas since we in America cannot fence out a countries people and CNN does report honestly,..Ben shouldn't you be watching Fox? If you want open Borders try living somewhere else.

April 29, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  6. Maribel

scott Narder- Before you post anything, please learn how to spell it correctly!!!

For all the negative comments out there, I am assuming none of you are Hispanic. I am Hispanic, born and raised in the US. My parents are from Puerto Rico, so we all can come and go as we please! But, I do have a problem with having to provide verification that I am a citizen. Just because I speak English, dress well, drive a nice car and have an education doesn't make me better than anyone else that is Hispanic. If my cousins came here from PR and were stopped in Arizona, they would not know how to respond in English. Therefore, should they be stopped? H#ll no!! They are citizens. We all know that AZ is targeting Hispanics, but there are illegal people from all countries. So before you say yes, to this new law think about the consequences if you were to lose your purse or wallet that contains your birth certificate, social security card and drivers license. I am sure the criminal will have a field day obtain credit cards in your names!!!

April 29, 2010 at 7:42 am | Report abuse |
  7. Sean

Send them home and let them enter legally if they want to come here. What don't people understand about the word illegal? I don't get it

April 29, 2010 at 7:43 am | Report abuse |
  8. Dominican

This is not about illegal immigrants. This about whether or not this law can be applied without racial profiling. I'm a proud citizen of this great country just as much as I'm proud of my Hispanic heritage. I'm all for finding ways to deport every single illegal immigrant from this country, what I'm NOT for is to have a law that clearly violates the constitution that I’ve bled to protect. I’m not being stop and probably thrown in prison simply because I LOOK certain way. That, my friends is against the United States constitution and whether or not you want to admit it, it’s RACIAL profiling. Shame on anybody who supports this law as it’s written.

I just wonder, where are the Tea Partiers complaining against government over reach??

April 29, 2010 at 7:45 am | Report abuse |
  9. Julia Katke

Chad said, "Last I checked illegal still meant illegal. In Mexico it is a felony to be an illegal punishable by 2 years in prison. Let them protest at a baseball game. I'll boycott Cancun, and Cabo and will encourage others to do the same.:

And I can't say it any better than that. I will add, I will read my label and I will not buy anything purchased from Mexico even if it is cheaper. The price we pay for the little savings is too great.

PS. Send Lowes Hardware stores to Mexico, they display so many signs in Spanish it is too obvious that the construction industry and millions of American jobs have been taken over illegal aliens. Boycott Lowes and support American jobless.

April 29, 2010 at 7:48 am | Report abuse |
  10. alceste

800 members on faceboo in one day – oh-oh-oh, I'm impressed! Baby, what about a facebook page that collects signatures FOR the ARIZONA law? Now that sure would attract hundred of thousands in hours, so relax. As far as boycotting a baseball game... now that sure is a smart move.

April 29, 2010 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  11. Bevans

This is not your country...this is our country and our laws that need to be enforced. This is not a race issue, this is a legal issue and you are illegally here taking money, space and resouces away from those of us that need it and pay for it legally. Go through the system we have in place to day to become a legal citizen and then you can protest and complain like the rest of us.

April 29, 2010 at 7:49 am | Report abuse |
  12. climber

It's interesting that everyone wants to bad mouth Arizona for stepping in and doing something about "illegal" immigration. It's easy to throw rock from the sidelines, but its harder to actually do something. Arizona should be lauded for trying to do something vice sitting on thier butts like the Obama Administration.

A comprehensive policy will tighten and secure the border and provide for prosecution and penalties of those who hire illegal aliens. Everything should be examined to include what constitutes US citizenship. We should not be afraid to have these frank an open discussions. We should marginalize the zealots on the left and right of the issue because they will contribute nothing but discord.

Bottom line: these are tough times and while we need to be charitable, I put US citizens and legal immigrants above illegal immigrants. Rather than sit and throw stones people should check their emotions and work with Arizona to come up with a viable means to stop illegal immigration across the state border. Doing it right in Arizona may help other states do it right.

April 29, 2010 at 7:50 am | Report abuse |
  13. gary

For Democrats, the longer this drags out, the better. The Republicans of Arizona are slowly being identified with Republicans around the country, which is the reason, some are in opposition to this law.This is especially true of Republicans who are smart enough to realize that they have a large Hispanic population in their state. Texas will be interesting. Bush won 40% of Hispanic votes and tried to include Hispanics. Arizona has blown the heck out of this strategy and there are some Texas Republicans who want laws like the one Arizona passed. If Texas Republicans do this (unlikely), the Democrats will pull in millions of Hispanic votes.

April 29, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  14. irrvntsob

So I guess American citizens are expected to step aside in order for Major League Baseball to continue to make good profits? Maybe Major League Baseball should pick up the cost for all the illegals themselves!

April 29, 2010 at 7:52 am | Report abuse |
  15. nyoka walker

last time i check there was no 14 generation americans first it was the jews second the italians then was the irish and japanese american and now its latinos remember these people are americans arizoma was taken from them. and the last time i check this was america. not amerikkka. like aracistzona or nazizona as i have been telling my students that in arizona is a breeding ground for hate and every right wing nut case in america. we havent seen the last of this.cause as long as there are the lou doubbs hannitys and rush lamkkks and foxes in america this country can never move forward. but dont be afraid of change pretty soon latinos are going to be a majority and thats the real threat to the republikkkans thats why they are supporting this law. non violent is not needed liitinos get them back in november with your votes and yes boycott thats racist state prevent those bigot from eating see how it feels. and yes i will boycott arizokkkkna.

April 29, 2010 at 7:53 am | Report abuse |