May 1st, 2010

Congressman arrested at immigration rally

Police arrested Illinois Rep. Luis Gutierrez at an immigration rally outside the White House on Saturday.
Gutierrez, a Democrat, was among a group of protesters arrested by police in front of the White House.
The protesters wore T-shirts that read, "ARREST ME NOT MY FAMILY" and "ARREST ME NOT MY FRIENDS."

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • Politics • Uncategorized
  1. usa

if you do somthing bad to someone they tell 20 pepale u do somthing good they only tell 1 person thats whats happing with illgal imgrants like any other race thay have their bad pepale too

May 1, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TammyB

Rosie Q: I am not asking you to make your kids bow their heads to anyone. I am simply asking you to follow the rules like all Americans have to do, white, brown, black, etc. I am not for discrimination in any form, have fought against that all my life and taught my children well. However, all MY life, I have had to follow the rules, and when I didn't, I have had to suffer the consequences of my actions. Rosie, get legal, and you won't have to worry and neither will your children. I hope you do this....

May 1, 2010 at 5:50 pm | Report abuse |
  3. SETexas

WINTHROP IS A FOOL AND IDIOT. Representative Gutierrez was arrested for blocking the sidewalk at the Whitehouse. Know what you are talking about before your stupidity shows. I will do anything I can to support the Arizona businesses who don't hire the cheap ILLIGAL ALIENS.EVERYONE SHOULD WRITE THE CONGRESSAL ETHIC COMMITTEE AND COMPLAIN

PS THE MEXICAN'S ARE THE ONES PROFILING THEMSELVES!!!!!

May 1, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Report abuse |
  4. TammyB

Bryce Reed: This IS the America I have stood for for 50 years.....a country of laws. A country that takes care of it's own, and still has room for more, LEGALLY. I have to follow the rules....we all do. How is that not America. Everyone who wants to come here, from WHERE EVER, should do this LEGALLY.

May 1, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Delia-Ann

The obvious cause of this Congressman's arrest is the Arizona law he was protesting. And perhaps the consequences may also be pointing to the fact that he is Hispanic. How Sad A Day for America and All Americans Who Obviously Come From Different Races and Ethnicities!

BOYCOTT ARIZONA!!

For more on this, you can visit:

May 1, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  6. usa

dear SETexas so what ur trying to say is that all illgal imgrants in this country are mexican or not what about africa imgrant chinnese japan and so on...

May 1, 2010 at 5:54 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Leo

"...the proper way to go about this is to target employers, who are screwing americans out of jobs by hiring illegal immigrants."

Posted by: UsingBrain

Employers are primarily screwing Americans by taking their business abroad, but on other hand that is their right. Their bottom line is profit.

Federal Government makes it easy for employers to employ illegals. They do not have to go through the legal process and expense of hiring legal immigrants from abroad, which option is stll available, if they can proof that they can not hire anyone currently residing legaly in the USA. So bottom line if the Federal government, after amnesty at the end of the 1980s, took proper action to regulate influx of legal immigrants it would not be in a pile of crap tody and there would be no Arizona case.

May 1, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  8. mike

I am a white male 45 years old never had any problems with the law.
    Here is my two cents. I would not like to be looked at because of my skin color.
    We have lost a large amount of faith and trust with many parts of our goverenment and lawmen.
    To compare people that are breaking the law because they are not
    supposed to be here to what was going on (and still is) back in the 60's with black people is stupid.
    To compare what is going on to immigrants that have came here correctly is absurd.
    And finally what do you suppose will happen once they "fast track" 10.8 Million people that have ignored our immigration laws and make them citizens are the rest going to pour accross our borders?

May 1, 2010 at 5:56 pm | Report abuse |
  9. wisconsin support

Why are people against this law?...To those of you who truly are having a discussion here and not bashing others...We have to consider...why don't people who are here illegally just apply for papers? The answer is...there's no option for them to apply to come to the United States legally from Mexico unless they already have a title (Dr. lawyer, nurse, etc.) or have lots of money in the bank. In both cases, most of those already prosperous in Mexico don't need to come to the US to support their families or to try to provide a better life for their kids. If the US doesn't provide a legal option for them to be here, you can't bash them for not being here legally. If the US wanted to solve the issue, they'd allow a reasonable amount of people to apply for papers, not necessarily citizenship but at least residency or work permits and then they would be able to get licenses, etc, etc, etc. The immigrants who are illegal don't want to be illegal, they just have no other choice.

May 1, 2010 at 5:58 pm | Report abuse |
  10. SETexas

GET RID OF """"ALL ILLIGALS"""" IF THEY DON'T POSSESS THE CORRECT DOCUMENTS

May 1, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  11. randall bauer

lock em up, and charge him. enforce the laws !

May 1, 2010 at 5:59 pm | Report abuse |
  12. mmemartinez

What I find most upsetting is how few people seem to realize that a) illegal immigrants pay taxes (sales tax, property tax and even income tax if they are using a false SSN rather than working totally under the table) AND b) illegal immigrants are not able to access medicare/medicaid, food stamps, unemployment benefits etc etc etc because they do not have the proper documentation! They do not get insured by the gov't in any way either, and aren't likely to seek out these services anyway for fear of being deported. They only way anyone can argue that they are a drain on the economy is because they are "taking" jobs others could work (but generally don't) and because they put their children in public schools.

As a teacher, I frankly don't care if I have children of illegal immigrants in my class. If they are going to live in this country and stay in this country (particularly those children who were born here and thus are citizens) then I want them to be educated anyway.

ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS PAY TAXES AND ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO WELFARE TYPE BENEFITS BECAUSE THEY ARE HERE ILLEGALLY. THEY ARE NOT TAKING ANY OF YOUR MONEY. GET OVER YOURSELF.

May 1, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  13. SETexas

I HAVE TRAVELED THE WORLD AND EVERY WHERE I HAVE GONE THE GOVERNENT REQUIRES YOU TO TRAVEL WITH YOUR DOCUMENTS,

LOOK AT MEXICOS IMMIGRATION POLICIES,

May 1, 2010 at 6:01 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Abe

Send the mudering baby killing white people back where they came from in the first place!How quickly they forget who this land belonged to in the first place! Take it back!

May 1, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Winthrop

Steve from Colorado and SETexas, As one can plainly see, you have no real argument other than being a HATER which is quite obvious. The story carries very little details on Representative Gurierrez's arrest. So, based on the lack of details, one can only see what is happening as has been exemplified in my post.

And StevefromColorado, the fact that you (and many others I might add) get asked for your ID when you go to the bank and elsewhere is not the same as this sad situation. You are obviously making a trade for cash or something of value where you Need to show that you can afford to buy it or withdraw it. To try to correlate this with the Arizona matter is like comparing apples to oranges or water to oil, it doesn't mix.

You might also be interested to know that FOUR (4) GOVERNORS bordering Mexico and close to Arizona have declared that the Arizona law is Not Good for their state and would not support a similar bad law. The majority of them are Republicans! They have the power to VETO any legislation that infringes upon the rights of their citizens in their respective states and there can be no doubt that they will do just that if it becomes necessary.

May 1, 2010 at 6:09 pm | Report abuse |