May 1st, 2010

Congressman arrested at immigration rally

Police arrested Illinois Rep. Luis Gutierrez at an immigration rally outside the White House on Saturday.
Gutierrez, a Democrat, was among a group of protesters arrested by police in front of the White House.
The protesters wore T-shirts that read, "ARREST ME NOT MY FAMILY" and "ARREST ME NOT MY FRIENDS."

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • Politics • Uncategorized
  1. dee

why are these people allowed to be here wasting and using our tax dollars to support them with various social services like hospitals and scholl (especially when our school system is already broken)when they refuse to follow the law by becoming legal? I'm African American woman and I get so sick and tired of the illegals comparing their plight to those of African decent-this is not a civil rights issue because it applies to illegals.and pretty soon, if we let them come here our country will begin to look like Mexico.

May 1, 2010 at 6:34 pm | Report abuse |
  2. AmendmentJoe

Everyone who is so quick to blame Hispanics and turn around to support the new Arizona anti-immigration law needs to carefully read the following FEDERAL LAW (which supersedes all state laws) to see why Hispanics are having a difficult time dealing with this new law.

Fourth Amendment (Bill of Rights) to the U.S. Constitution

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, paper, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

I ask you: What part of the 4th Amendment do people not understand in contrast with Arizona's new law that would remove the rights given to the people under the Constitution? It is crystal clear for anyone. The state of Arizona mistakenly thinks it can overrule or override the Fourth Amendment, which is Federal Law, and that's where they are wrong. But they'll see when the lawsuits start coming in that will most certainly INVALIDATE Arizona's SB 1070 to say nothing about the Boycotts to take place as news reports have revealed. Arizona needs to pay close attention to this Amendment and then follow it completely so they will not violate people's rights to privacy through searches and seizures in the process of conducting their witch hunts for illegal immigrants.

May 1, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Report abuse |
  3. cwbeebeii

This missive regards Alfonds' statement about not being guilty and therefore carefree in a courtroom. Sir, have youe ver been chraged with a criminal act? I have not, but I am graduating with my B.S. this year and headed to IU Law in the fall. If you think that innocence will protect you in a courtroom, then I suggest that you find a way to remove the blinders from your eyes, sir. Innocence, the first Ten Amendments to the U.S. Constitution (those that are now incorporated) and a DAMN GOOD LAWYER will help you in a courtroom. Innocence and a five dollar bill will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

May 1, 2010 at 6:49 pm | Report abuse |
  4. Bladimir

this Arizona "law" will obviously get defeated, it is causing so many problems right now and it will in the future. SO all you haters suck it up.

May 1, 2010 at 6:50 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Creekredman

In Hiibel v. 6th Judicial Court of Nevada. 2004. The US Supreme Court upheld the Nevada lwhich required a person to give their name & ID papers when asked for by a policeman even if they were not suspected in a crime. A policeman may detain you, ask your name & papers in order to confirm or deny a crime was committed. Seems to be the only difference between this law & Arizona is if you are illegal you get deported, ifyou are committing another type of crime your going to jail. I have been personally stopped. It took a few seconds I was on my way. I guess it is OK for me as an American Citizen to be asked for papers, just not Communist ILLEGAL FOREIGN NATIONALS.

May 1, 2010 at 6:59 pm | Report abuse |
  6. yuddhaoshaanti

I guess Americans forget that Hispanics are people too... I have heard people cry "They're stealing our jobs!" so many times and it's very stupid. If I remember this correctly, the Irish were hated because "Americans" believed that they were stealing "their" jobs. And now on St. Patrick's Day, every white person I know wears green and claims to be Irish. God bless America, land of the ignorant

May 1, 2010 at 7:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. esquivel

Hey Pancho, once you illegals own the US, what are you going to do with it? Make it like Mexico? If all the American own businesses shut down, where are you going to work? Ina a taco stand, bar, pool room, or selling drugs? Who will buy if there is no money?

May 1, 2010 at 7:01 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Billy East

What do we need to do to start a class action law suit against the fereral goverment for taking our tax revenue and not securing our borders?
    As a veteran I did not know that i served in war time so illeagels could walk over the border and rally to take over our country ?
    Is out people in Washington a sleep or what? Why have laws if we are not going to enforce them.

May 1, 2010 at 7:08 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Creekredman

YES, I AM AN AMERICAN INDIAN BUT I AM ALSO AN AMERICAN CITIZEN. SUBJECT TO ALL LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES. THE REDMAN IS THE ONLY INDIGENOUS PERSONS WITHIN THE CONTINENT. I DEEPLY & PERSONALLY RESENT WHITE WESTERN EUROPEANS OF HISPANIC DECENT HI-JACKING MY RACE IN ORDER TO CLAIM THE UNITED STATES FOR COMMUNIST COUNTRIES. ONCE YOU UNDERSTAND THE IMMIGRATION ISSUE IS NOT ABOUT RACE BUT ABOUT IDEOLOGY THEN YOU SEE CLEARLY WHAT THIS IS ALL ABOUT. YOU UNDERSTAND WHEN ILLEGAL FOREIGN NATIONALS FROM SOUTH OF THE BORDER CALL AMERICAN CITIZENS OF HISPANIC DECENT "THE WRONG KIND OF HISPANICS". WHAT THEY MEAN YOU ARE NOT SOCIALIST ENOUGH, NOT COMMUNIST ENOUGH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iybaDyMr1rs

May 1, 2010 at 7:10 pm | Report abuse |
  10. me

I am from Illinois and we have this guy protesting over illegals immigrants. When is he up for reelection(not). This is crazy,these prople are here illegally,what leg do any of these people have to stand on. The slave traders and the good olde boys in washington need to be ran out and arrested with these guys.

May 1, 2010 at 7:13 pm | Report abuse |
  11. A Lambert

He should have been arrested. How could a United States Congressman protest a law that prevents ILLEGAL immigrants from entering this country? For him, I think it's all about votes. For me, the law is the right thing to do. Ilegals have cost this country a fortune. If anyone wants to enter this country, regardless of origin, there is a process. So be it with the Mexicans. There are too many people living here who have done it the right way to allow illegals to get by with what they are doing. Viva Arizona!!

May 1, 2010 at 7:16 pm | Report abuse |
  12. me

Just remember the word illegal. The irish were not here illegally.You peopel need to understand that the illegals are being abused, threatened to be deported if they don't just shutup and work for nothing.If you really want to make your life better ,stop the abuse,become citizens.

May 1, 2010 at 7:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Denny

Panch, that is exactly the kind of attitude that this country needs to be shed of. ->Denny, Tucson

May 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  14. dee

I agree-GET RID OF ALL THE ILLEGALS. THEY SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO STAY HERE AND TAKE THE KIDS WITH YOU. WE SHOULD RALLY AND HAVE A PROTEST TO AMEND THE CONSTITUTION. THE CITIZENSHIP OF YOUR MOTHER DETERMINDS YOUR CITIZENSHIP STATUS-THESE MEXICANS COME HERE AND HAVE KIDS AND THEN TRY TO ARGUE AND CRY ABOUT BEING SEPARTED FROM THEIR KIDS AND FAMILY-I SAY DEPORT THEM ALL BACK WHERE THEY BELONG. BEING HERE IN AMERICA IS NOT A RIGHT, ITS A PRIVILEDGE.

May 1, 2010 at 7:20 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Leon Long

Either you are American or you were born somewhere else, such as Obama!!! I served in my countires (USA) military and was not defending or serving for foreigners, they don't care about us and I don't care about them. If they want to come across the border, breaking the law as they do so, it is their perrogative, but it is the law here that we arrest them and send them back. And, by the way, I am on Social Security and I work part time because I know what the democrats are doing to us, so I am mature enough to know that if you look like a Mexican, the percentages say you probably are one, so let the law check their ID and enforce our laws, our ICE men are not on trial or supposed to be under scrutiny.

May 1, 2010 at 7:26 pm | Report abuse |