May 1st, 2010

Congressman arrested at immigration rally

Police arrested Illinois Rep. Luis Gutierrez at an immigration rally outside the White House on Saturday.
Gutierrez, a Democrat, was among a group of protesters arrested by police in front of the White House.
The protesters wore T-shirts that read, "ARREST ME NOT MY FAMILY" and "ARREST ME NOT MY FRIENDS."

Post by:
Filed under: Immigration • Politics • Uncategorized
  1. Tom

My Grandparents emigrated from Ireland, LEGALLY!. They went through the painstaking process and became legal residents of this great country. It completely baffles me when I hear these illegals protesting how they have rights. YOU HAVE NO RIGHTS! Period. My wife is spanish and she knows how I feel about this issue. Believe me, the illegals in this country are taking more away from the legal residents in this country than they are contributing. Pack your bags and get out! Wait in line like everybody else.

May 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Julio

If you are an Illegal, why wouldn't you just go to work today and live the American Dream and just try not to get caught, so that some day you can get your shit together? Protesting doesn't pay the bills man.

Also, all Chicago Politicians are greedy D-bags.

May 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Robert, San Carlos CA

Just a publicity stunt by this guy to get the latino vote.
    What's the big deal about this law? When I got my green card it came with clear instructions from the Federal Govmt that I had to have my card with me at all times. The AZ law is not asking for anything new.
    I can't understand why someone would want to protect people that are here illegally other than because they want to exploit these people.

May 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  4. someguy

To those saying legal immigrants shouldn't have anything to worry about, I'm sorry, but it just doesn't work that way.

The law in Arizona effectively promotes the racial profiling and harassment of immigrants both legal and illegal. Legal immigrants should not have to suffer for the sake of cracking down on illegal immigration. In addition, because this law effectively promotes bigotry, those with biases against the hispanic community will come forth and enact their hatred upon hispanics, be they legal or not. This could easily mean the deportation of a naturalized citizen or even a natural-born US Citizen born to two hispanic immigrants.

In addition, this congressman has a right to hold his own views. He is not on the clock 24/7 for his jurisdiction; he is perfectly within his rights to express his own feelings when not at work. The only time congressmen must listen to their constituents (which admittedly almost never happens) is when congressmen come to vote. Other than that, they can say whatever they want.

This statement comes from a white male, US Citizen Jus Soli, near Washington D.C.

May 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Nick

I think that each side simply misses the other's point, or refuses to recognize it.

For those that support the bill, I believe the opposing side is more concerned with the fact that a police officer could walk up to someone of Hispanic origin (although a change went through to limit this), and demand to see proof of citizenship. Proof of citizenship does NOT constitute a driver's license or ID card necessarily, and even if it did, there's tons of times I've run to the store and left my ID at home. This means, that upon further suspicion, you could be detained. Sure, it would all get sorted out and you have nothing to worry about because you are a U.S. citizen, but what exactly led a police officer to really single you out? On top of which, I would think being detained on account of leaving my ID at home would be quite a pain. Would they really have stopped you for loitering or something stupid if you were white?

For those that oppose the bill, I believe the supporting side naturally does want to protect their borders. It's true that work is taken away due to immigrants, and that money is spent on them with our tax money. I realize I spent a lot of time making a case for the opposing side, but this is pretty straightforward.

I for one, somewhat agree with the bill- it just needs to include some extra provisions to prevent profiling- something that is very difficult to do. Honestly, the real issue here is that nothing in this country is black and white- it's full of grey, and people are becoming incredibly vicious over thinking it is black or white.

May 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Vince

Nice and Quiet, Like the Tea Party that terrorist group :-))))))))

May 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  7. GV

Hey Richard! The constitution only applys to citizens of the US. If you are here illegally, you are not a citizen. Might want to think about that...

May 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Jim

Arrested for what? Can we please get some actual reporting?

May 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  9. alfonds

Seems like the protesters are telling the U.S., Help us break the law." My advice for them is to go back and wait in line, like the rest of some of us that had to do the same , to become legal citizens. Remember that if I go to Mexico and ask to be a legal citizen, they will put my ass in jail for a minimum of one year.Do you call that racial profiling?

May 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Report abuse |
  10. Kevin

If you're here illegall, you're breaking the law. If you're here illegally, you don't have constitutional rights. Thet should have gone to the rallies around the country and asked the protestors for ID, and rounded up the illegals. If I break were to break the law, cops would ask me for ID. I think they should make it part of the Patriot Act. Round 'em up abd send 'em to Gitmo. I hope my state enacts the same law.

May 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Rock Star REXX(TM)

"Disgusted"w/this national distraction,which takes focus away from:Wall St.'s criminal behavior & USA's need to arrest: Goldman Sachs/Paulson Hedge Fund(RICO) racketters. Meanwhile, Haliburton is destroying our environ.off t/Gulf of Mexico; foreclosues continue&unemployment spikes."T/Divided States/America"is cancerous& corrupt!

May 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
    • That Dude

Unemployment is UP, but only for American citizens. Not illegals. Also, a lot of foreclosures were due to banks giving loans to illegal immigrants. Most of whom are less likely to go through the trouble of trying to keep the house.

May 19, 2010 at 10:02 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Michael

Once again people are saying "If you're legally here why should you care?" It's about giving law enforcement such power as to detain you in order to determine you status. They will not do this to white, blonde haired, blue eyed people. That's what this is about. It's about someone who is here legally being targetted not once, but again and again because of the way they look. That is not American, it is Nazi Germany.

May 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Report abuse |
  13. potvin

Aren't congressman and criminal synonymous?

May 1, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Informed

BTW: this IS a nation of immigrants and yes people who came through ellis island had to go through a rough process to be admitted, but tell me or not WHO were the people who took in the RIGHT to even require people to meet certain criteria to be admitted to immigrate lawfully into the US?? was it the natives the only people who really belong here? It's even harder to go through hunger, kidnapping, drop houses, clean yards, pick veggies on the fields and be humiliated day by day just to live the American Dream.. let's not even get into that please. This law justifies racism and discrimination.

May 1, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |
  15. libsaremorons

Anyone who sees racism in this law is themselves a racist. Is it racist when I am stopped and asked for my identification by a police officer? I have to constantly prove who I am and where I'm from. What's the big deal? American citizens are asked to prove themselves all the time. Being brown doesn't make you impervious to our laws. If you don't like our laws, go back where you came from and take your illegal babies with you too. You are stealing our country and people who call themselves 'patriots' are allowing you to. If you agree with illegal immigration, you are no true American and you should be ashamed to call yourself such. Will this issue divide our country? Why not, everything else does. What I don't understand is why people who hate this country and our ways don't just up and leave. You like how things are done in Cuba? Go live there – tell Fidel we said hi. Looking for that European utopia? It's a plane ride away. Go let the government take all your money and take care of you. Get out and let the real Americans live in peace from your constant bashing of our ways and our laws.

May 1, 2010 at 4:57 pm | Report abuse |