May 3rd, 2010

Outspoken sheriff won't run for governor in Arizona

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, a fixture in Arizona politics, announced Monday that he will not seek the Republican nomination for governor in his home state.

"I just don't want to leave my 4,000 dedicated employees," Arpaio said. "I am going to contribute my service and fight as the Sheriff of Maricopa County."

"I don't want to be egotistical, but I could be the governor if I ran," he boasted. "My polls are very high. I got the money. I got the polls. I got the support."

Read the full story at CNN's Political Ticker

- From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Filed under: Arizona • Politics
  1. he was AZ's last hope

He should have ran, he obviously is good at budget issues look what he saved on jails and without cutting schools like brewer.

Now he and brewer are both good on the imigration issues.

would have been nice to get a real clean up of the state though.

May 3, 2010 at 11:55 pm | Report abuse |
    • cmesooner

sounds like demagoguery.

July 10, 2010 at 6:48 am | Report abuse |
  2. Jesse

Hitler.

May 4, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  3. Dianna Rene

What I can't figure out is how he keeps getting elected Sheriff?

May 4, 2010 at 2:03 am | Report abuse |
    • This Sheriff is Dirty!

When there is an election whose job is it to transport the ballot boxes from the polls to the place they are counted?
      Is it by any chance the Sheriff Dept. who does that? His Deputy's? If so that maybe your answer to how he keeps getting elected. I am willing to bet my life that somewhere down the road one of these investigations turn up proof that shows he himself is as dirty if not more than a lot of the people locked up in his jails. Why else do you think he did not want to turn over finance records when ordered to by the courts? His day is coming. It may not be soon but it is fast approaching. Then the world will see just how much he likes being locked up in his own tents and possibly Arizona State Prison.

July 10, 2010 at 2:42 am | Report abuse |
  4. chris

He keeps getting elected because he gets things done. NO red tape, No compromising morals for political gain. If he were governor or president for that matter,...we would not be in the position we are with all the 'ILLEGAL' immigrants taking advantage of this country. They would all go thru the proper immigration channels to become a 'LEGAL' citizen before stepping in this country.

May 15, 2010 at 6:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Bill

Maybe after the current Grand Jury investigation this Sheriff should just...run.

July 9, 2010 at 8:09 pm | Report abuse |
  6. steve

Chris,Dianna,Bill great comments open minded to Jesse you must be mexican

July 9, 2010 at 8:28 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Greg

Comparing this jerk to Hitler almost seems unfair to Hitler. This guy needs to go............very far away! (Hell)

July 9, 2010 at 9:59 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Bob Wolf

With all of the attention on police abuse right now this SOB is not helping their cause...this senile old derelict needs to be wearing pink panties and living in the tent city he created

July 13, 2010 at 6:51 am | Report abuse |
  9. chuck

This guy should be president.

August 3, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |