May 3rd, 2010
01:15 PM ET

Sanford avoids criminal charges

South Carolina's Attorney General has decided that Gov. Mark Sanford will not face criminal charges following an investigation into his travel and campaign expenses.

"After conducting a thorough investigation, the evidence does not support beyond a reasonable doubt that the governor knowingly, willfully, and intentionally set out to break state law, which is the criminal prosecutorial standard that must be reached," Attorney General Henry McMaster said Monday at a press conference in Columbia.

For the last five months, McMaster had been reviewing the results a state ethics investigation into Sanford's use of state planes and campaign funds - a probe that began after media organizations began examining the governor's financial practices following his disclosure of an extramarital affair last June.

That investigation resulted in 37 ethics charges against the Republican governor, whose term expires in January. Sanford resolved the civil charges in March by paying $74,000 in fines.

But on Monday, McMaster said the ethics violations did not rise to the level of criminal conduct. The law, he said, "requires a much higher standard before criminal prosecution is warranted."

Read full Political Ticker post

soundoff (2 Responses)
  1. Val

    Once again, Mr. Tefflon falls into a bucket of doo doo and comes out clean. I hope he moves out of this state and goes to Argentina where "his soul mate" lives and they can walk off into the sunset together. What a lousy example for his boys.

    May 3, 2010 at 2:57 pm | Report abuse |
  2. CAMedWmn

    I was under the impression that it was up to a jury to decide whether reasonable doubt exists or not. Now it's up to the lawyers?

    Who exactly does McMaster represent here, the People of the State of South Carolina, or perhaps someone else?

    May 3, 2010 at 3:22 pm | Report abuse |