May 5th, 2010

DHS changing no-fly list policy after Times Square plot

The Department of Homeland Security is changing its no-fly list update policies to prevent a repeat of what happened Monday, when the suspect in the Times Square attempted bombing was allowed to board a plane despite his name being on the no-fly list, a DHS official told CNN Wednesday.

The official said the Transportation Security Administration will require airlines to check the no-fly list within two hours of being electronically notified of additions or changes. Previously, airlines were required to re-check the list within 24 hours.

Faisal Shahzad, who has been charged in connection with the attempted bombing in Times Square, was able to board Emirates Flight 202 late Monday despite being put on a no-fly list earlier in the day. He made his reservation by phone as he drove to the airport just hours before the flight, investigators said. When he paid for his ticket in cash at the ticket counter, the airline had not refreshed its information so his name did not raise any red flags, a senior counterterrorism official told CNN.

1. JYorwarth

How about a constant immediate refresh on the no fly list, instead of 2 hours? What is this 1985?

May 5, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  2. Patrick

I'd ride with Ted Kennedy or hunt with Cheny before I'd let Napolitano run DHS!

May 5, 2010 at 11:32 am | Report abuse |
  3. bvilleyellowdog

You are in far greater danger driving to work amongst cell phoners and texters.
    The "all fear all the time" pee in the pants crowd is at it again.

May 5, 2010 at 11:33 am | Report abuse |
  4. HPNIII

Well does that mean that we just informed all wouldbe terrorists not to make a reservation more than 2 hours before leaving and if so what good did the change make.

May 5, 2010 at 11:34 am | Report abuse |
  5. touristguy87

It's not a matter of requiring them to update their list or check the list every 2 hours after it's updated.

It's a simple matter of requiring them to check THE NO-FLY LIST WHEN THE GUY IS STANDING RIGHT THERE TRYING TO BOARD THE PLANE. Is there an English problem here? Is that concept in Farsi only?

Seriously I'm not amazed by the stupidity but this is just ludicrous.

May 5, 2010 at 11:35 am | Report abuse |
  6. Red Ferrari

Does this mean that the DHS is now working on the list of "LUCKY" devices to help prevent terrorists?

May 5, 2010 at 11:39 am | Report abuse |
  7. Monica

I just cannot believe the amount of morons that say it was great he did not get away, he was caught, etc well. let me tell you this, the system failed because the guy should have not and I MEAN should have not been in that plane to begin with. The red flags are everywhere, bought the ticket 2 hours before leaving??? cash??? one way ticket?? no luggage??? HELLO?????? DHM and Napolitano BETTER get on their tails and WORK. And you left wingers DO NOT try to blame this on President Bush... he helpt us save for 7 years. And for you that think your liberties are challenged... better think is better to take 5 min and check than be sorry..... my son has a spanish NAME: Jose Hernandez and HE IS on the no fly list..... he was checked, he is only 16 but, no big deal... I rather have them check him than be sorry.....

May 5, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  8. bruce

They could give some extra attention to flights from JFK to the Middle East shortly after the bombing, rather than just send an update to all US airlines that they should review within 24 hours which seems to be what they did.

May 5, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  9. Red Ferrari

why don't the DHS flip coins or say eeny meeny miny moe to see who flies and who doesn't?

May 5, 2010 at 11:41 am | Report abuse |
  10. debbie

I thought it would be automatic to verify that they are not on the no fly list if they made their reservation the same day as the flight and/or if they paid cash. I thought these were the two red flags that airlines are looking for. So we have someone going out of the United States (doesn't matter where) that makes their reservation just hours before the flight and pays cash and this doesn't tip off an airline employee?? Seriously? I think the airlines better go over some procedures with ALL of the employees immediately.

May 5, 2010 at 11:42 am | Report abuse |
  11. Mary

I share the feelings of many on this site. Yes, I believe "Live free or die." However, I am willing to put up with some temporary inconvenience when flying, especially internationally, in order to be safe. It is important to pick one's battles carefully, so I'll take my stand for liberty on some other battlefield than this one. That being said, I won't be like Al and thank government for protecting me. Protecting its citizens is supposed to be Job #1 for any government. Otherwise, what use is government? Why should I thank government for trying to do what it is supposed to do? On the other hand, I know that our government has taken actions as part of its foreign policy that have made us enemies, putting its citizens in harm's way. When all is said and done, however, I am an American. Those who come here to do harm to me and my fellow citizens for government policies that we never had a hand in creating deserve DEATH, and they get NO SYMPATHY from me. Like all cowards, they target the helpless and vulnerable because they could never get close to their real targets without being taken down before they had time to swallow their spit. God bless the U.S.A!

May 5, 2010 at 11:44 am | Report abuse |
  12. Jon

The Department of Homeland Security is only a danger to our freedoms and pocket books. The DHS spent so much time and money tracking down this complete moron, who failed to read the label on his fertilizer.

Letting the local police patrol the airports about the suspect would have been the most cost effective and efficient way to deal with this problem. In fact, he would have been apprehended before getting on the plain and endangering more people.

I want my country and freedoms back. Both parties are handing this country over to special interests. The DHS is no different. They give us body scanners that invade our privacy and don't work. The "No Fly" list has been repeatedly used to harass news reporters and unpopular politicians. I'd rather defend my self than leave it to incompetence of what is left of our government.

May 5, 2010 at 11:45 am | Report abuse |
  13. prabhu

airlines ticket counter did not update no fly list – i understand, but are there no immigration officials checking who flys out of the country? every country has one and stamp the passport when exiting!

May 5, 2010 at 11:46 am | Report abuse |
  14. Josh

Once the police, FBI, and the DHS identified this man, why was their only recourse to add his name to a list of 10.000's of others? Should not a specific and direct communication have been made to local airports, etc???? Basically a "wanted" poster, that would get the full attention of all employees at the airports.

May 5, 2010 at 11:47 am | Report abuse |
  15. Brian Deorsam

Re-check the No-Fly list two hours before the flight leaves? They have these neat little things called computers today. How about having it re-check the No-Fly list again immediately after they close the cabin doors?

May 5, 2010 at 11:51 am | Report abuse |