May 5th, 2010

DHS changing no-fly list policy after Times Square plot

The Department of Homeland Security is changing its no-fly list update policies to prevent a repeat of what happened Monday, when the suspect in the Times Square attempted bombing was allowed to board a plane despite his name being on the no-fly list, a DHS official told CNN Wednesday.

The official said the Transportation Security Administration will require airlines to check the no-fly list within two hours of being electronically notified of additions or changes. Previously, airlines were required to re-check the list within 24 hours.

Faisal Shahzad, who has been charged in connection with the attempted bombing in Times Square, was able to board Emirates Flight 202 late Monday despite being put on a no-fly list earlier in the day. He made his reservation by phone as he drove to the airport just hours before the flight, investigators said. When he paid for his ticket in cash at the ticket counter, the airline had not refreshed its information so his name did not raise any red flags, a senior counterterrorism official told CNN.

1. Sharon

I agree with everyone who is posting about the list being inaccurate. My husband, and now my son, are always stopped. We were used to it with my husband, but when I recently tried to do pre-check in for my son from a DISNEY cruise of all places–he was denied. The airline told the boat that there was a problem with him flying and we had to come to the counter upon arriving at the airport once the boat docked. My 8-year-old American born son gets stopped coming from seeing Mickey Mouse, but an idiot terriorist who paid in cash 2 hours before the flight leaves (and approximately 3 hours after planting a bomb in Times Square) is allowed to fly back to his terrorist roots-no questions asked.
    What the H#LL is wrong with this picture????

May 5, 2010 at 12:51 pm | Report abuse |
  2. TimThorp

@ angry bob, bob, bob

Since when is airline security an issue of liberals versus (holier than thou, we are the true americans, and defenders of libibiberties) true red blooded americans.
    Are you not capable of looking at an issue and see the issue instead of your paranoid mean spirited hateful Feindbild? You are a sorry rendition of an American concerned about Americans and America. Go back to your cave.

May 5, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Joshua69

Here is a novel idea: let's get out of their backyard in the name of fighting terror and maybe they'll begin to get out of ours....

May 5, 2010 at 12:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. K. Leroux

What about the fact that this was a Middle Eastern Airline, that might have been more sympathetic to a late minute cash booking........or bribery for a ticket...... I think its quite possible that they ignored any "no-fly" lists.

May 5, 2010 at 12:56 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Anthony

@Mary(#15) – Will you say the same thing if a loved one from your immediate family is injured or killed because of these terrorist's actions...

May 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Fyi

First, red flags WERE thrown when he purchased his ticket with cash. That's why the plane turned around, and he was apprehended. The feds had been following him most of the day...but lost him....or so, I've read. I agree with most who believe that the no-fly list should be real-time, and should be double-checked. In a rare instance like this, where the guy is placed on the list the morning of....and there's a red flag for him....then there also should be some other type of notification to airport security. A little message box that pops up...with a picture or something...that says, be on the lookout for this person.

Very proud of the work done by NYPD, FBI, DHS, etc. to find this guy so quickly. To the people complaining about their grandmother or child being stopped in the airport...suck it up. I rather be inconvenienced a little, and feel safe...then to go straight to my seat, and be dead. These aren't the days to try to stress your rights, and racial profiling, etc. Unfortunately, some people are causing this to happen...and we have to deal.

May 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Bob

Did I read that the airline has to update the no fly list? In this day an age shouldn't the information be available in real time? The name of anyone who purchases a ticket pings the data base and a response is generated if necessary. I don't want to trash our liberties but he paid for his ticket in cash didn't that generate a flag. I also wonder if it was a one way ticket. That should have generated a flag as well. My sense is a lot of this is about money and the airlines want to spend as little as possible. That's only an opinion.

May 5, 2010 at 1:00 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Ralu

I believe even 2 hours is too long. Anything can happen within 2 hours. It should be 30 minutes at most!!!

May 5, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  9. ctbeckyw - Las Vegas

I'd rather be mistakenly be on the list rather than let someone who actually IS on the list be allowed to board.

May 5, 2010 at 1:04 pm | Report abuse |
  10. shoutou

the tsa needs to read and adopt the EL-AL security manual. Cash for a one-way ticket with no luggage. Duh!

May 5, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Fyi

@Bob it did generate the flag. the lady at the counter told her superiors. that's why the plane turned around.

@Ralu i say 5 minutes !

May 5, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Andrew K.

There are are more people killed in traffic accidents every year than killed by terrorism. To me traffic accidents is the real terrorist...

May 5, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Don't dump out your tea. I'll drink it.

So now we know...

He was let on the plane, under close surveillace the entire time, to see if he made contact with anyone else.

Does this mean we can't blame the whole mess on Obama now?

May 5, 2010 at 1:06 pm | Report abuse |
  14. irene

Why worry about a "fly list" when the U S is granting them all citizenship?

May 5, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Fyi

EVERYONE ......read the other articles. He was caught BECAUSE he purchased the ticket with cash. If he hadn't.....he'd be back in Pakistan right now. The feds who were following him the entire day had lost him.

May 5, 2010 at 1:08 pm | Report abuse |