May 6th, 2010

U.S. extends travel warning to Mexico

The U.S. State Department Thursday extended a travel warning that had been issued for Mexico due to the high level of drug and gang violence there.

The State Department warning also notes that the authorized departure of family members of U.S. government personnel from U.S. consulates in the northern Mexico border cities of Tijuana, Nogales, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey and Matamoros has been extended.

The State Department issued similar warnings in March and April.

The Mexican government said in April that more than 22,700 people have been killed in drug-related violence since December 2006, when newly elected President Felipe Calderon declared war on narcotraffickers.

Post by:
Filed under: Mexico • Travel • U.S. • World
  1. nfkdfnsdkfsfknsfkndsf

i wish there is a sport where you get to go hunt drug cartels, its going to be so fun and exciting!

May 7, 2010 at 12:49 am | Report abuse |
  2. Megan

@Game ICY

I'm half white myself. This isn't necessarily a race thing. Also, nowhere in my argument did I defend drug cartels. I read the stories and I hear plenty from my relatives. It's horrible, but really, the great majority of the victims of these crimes involve people who are somewhere entangled in all this drug business. Everyone acts like the people of the lowly, uncivilized country of Mexico are targeting innocent tourists by the busload. Get real. Besides, this is exactly what I'm talking about: People formulating a rash generalization of Mexico based on the news media. And while I support the news media being a journalism major myself, I do recognize how difficult it is to get the real story from a government that would rather cry wolf than be forward.

May 7, 2010 at 1:13 am | Report abuse |
  3. YumaAz

To Dulce and all the other that do not crap and crap when it comes to the southern border, listen up and listen good!!!! I live 5 miles from Mexico...I see and hear about thing none of you hear in the news..The news has their heads so far up their butts it is not funny! They do not have a clue as to what is really going on down here!!! You people say we need to stop the cartels but who do you guys think are running the drugs across the border in to the US???? The members of the cartels?? HELL NO it is the illegal alien!! So get your heads out of your butts and stop smelling your farts nad see the world for what it is!! And Dale Hell Yea go Vets with 50. Cals

May 7, 2010 at 1:48 am | Report abuse |
  4. jay

hey guys stop buying drugs and we'll be fine.

May 7, 2010 at 1:52 am | Report abuse |
  5. Texan

*Fact: humans have used drugs since before the dawn of time or even before we used language. Drugs have their effects on us because they are supposed to have those effects. We wouldn't have evolved the ability to metabolize these substances if they weren't necessary or beneficial to us in some way.
    *Fact it is a law of economics that when any product is popular and desired by the people there will be a market for that product. If the product is contrabaned then a "black market" will arise guided by "an invisible hand" of commerce. Any good conservative know economics and therefore know Adam Smith.
    *Fact modern medical science has found that many of the substances in question that here to fore were considered to have "no medical value" in fact have great medical value.
    *Fact it is easier for a child to obtain an illegal drug than for them to obtain legal regulated drugs.
    You can think or say what ever you want but it doesn't change the facts.
    The ONLY segments of society that have anything to LOSE by legalizing drugs are the drug dealers and law enforcement. Those are the facts
    We can continue to allow drug dealers and the government to hold the Nation it, youth its minorities and its children hostage, or we can legalize tax and regulate these substance in a sane and civilized manor.

May 7, 2010 at 3:41 am | Report abuse |
  6. Easy Travel

With all of our military power and capabilities
    why if President Calderon of Mexico wants to rid Mexico of these drug
    cartels doesn't the USA launch a Military Strike against them and take
    them out? Would you not think that they should be considered just a
    threat to the USA as Radical Muslims?

July 5, 2010 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |