May 8th, 2010

Growth removed from Spanish king's lung

[Updated at 8:33 a.m.] Doctors said they successfully removed a growth from the right lung of Spain's King Juan Carlos in surgery Saturday.

A biopsy revealed no malignant cells in the growth, doctors at University Hospital in Barcelona, Spain, told reporters.

Doctors said the king was doing well and recovering after surgery.

[Updated at 4:48 a.m.] Spain's King Juan Carlos will have surgery to remove a growth from his right lung on Saturday, the royal palace confirmed.

The growth was spotted during an April 28 examination, according to the palace.

The 72-year-old king has held the throne for nearly 35 years. On Friday, he met with U.S. Vice President Joe Biden, who traveled to Europe to address the European Parliament earlier in the week.

Filed under: Spain
  1. doggyDish Party

"
    7th in the world, and certainly is excellent, nobody waits for though cases, by the interesting thing is that also there is and excellent network of private hospita
    "

We went to Tibidabo for our daughter to be born there. Flight was only 9 hours. It was 1st class private Catholic Hospital.

May 8, 2010 at 6:06 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Davicus

God Bless you King.

May 8, 2010 at 6:07 pm | Report abuse |
  3. chinedu agbakoba

long live the king,may the king live forever because he is good to imigrants especially those from africa nigeria.
    my prayer for you is that you will live to see more of this planet. amen!!!

May 8, 2010 at 8:07 pm | Report abuse |
  4. MIghty7

Viva el Rey!!.

May 8, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Lady Melissa Cortez

I would like to thank everyone for all the support and prayers for the King of Spain.

May 8, 2010 at 9:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. joe from the A

Juan Carlos II is not only a true thug (in the noblest sense of the word), he's also a Son of the American Revolution and makes monarchy look good. feel better, juan.

May 8, 2010 at 10:03 pm | Report abuse |
  7. amy from sk

best with for speedy and absolute recovery for him!

May 8, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Report abuse |
  8. rey irizarry

los idiotas necesitan rey...........

May 9, 2010 at 12:02 am | Report abuse |
  9. zizewitz

REY IRIZARRI

TU OPINADS QUE LOS IDIOTAS NECESITAN REY??

SI ESTO FUERE CIERTO, TU DEBES SER SU MAS ARDIENTE ADMIRADOR!!

May 9, 2010 at 12:52 am | Report abuse |
  10. Deepak Chellani

Carry on the good work as you always have ! We all love you and you will be always in our hearts for many many generations to come.

May 9, 2010 at 1:31 am | Report abuse |
  11. White Anglo-Saxon

I read these comments from all you idiots who eulogize Spain and its monarch. I lived in Madrid for 5 years on and off over the last 10 and can say with absolute conviction that the Spanish are not a people to hold in admiration. Much of their wealth comes from the rest of Europe and America. Not only that, they are some of the most racist ethnocentric people in the world. Such a proud people who have nothing to be proud of!!

May 9, 2010 at 3:39 am | Report abuse |
  12. Alex

I guess White Anglo-Saxon that your nickname is not related to racism. Anyway, if you have been those years in Spain and you have that opinion from Spanish people, probably is because you never felt integrated in the Spanish society. And it is a big problem for you, because probably Spain is one of the best countries in the world to make friends due to the friendly people.
    Spanish people do not live to work, Spanish people work to live, and as a Mediterranean country is one of the best places to enjoy life and to have one of the longest life espectancy in the world. So do not let envy mess your mind.

On the other hand, thank you very much for the support from so many nice people in this blog.

I am happy with the good news. Long life the King and the Spanish Democracy!

May 9, 2010 at 4:04 am | Report abuse |
  13. Quee Taiyang

As a person not of Spanish ancestry I can say that having lived in Spain since childhood, they are 1000% times less racist than many White Anglo-Saxon Americans here in the US! While there are not a lot of people of my ethnicity in Spain and those who didn't know me looked at me curiously at first, I fit in very easily because I grew up with the Spanish language, local customs and old-school traditional Roman Catholocisim as a child. As soon as I open my mouth and my Castillan accent comes out, or when I speak Catalan to the locals, they immediately view me as a local – more so sometimes than other Spaniards visiting from other regions and countries. I think White Anglo-Saxon wants to point fingers at others desipite his/her ignorance, when they should really be pointing fingers at themselves.

July 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm | Report abuse |
  14. Roberto

The King of my country is a very good person and monarch. He guided us into a democracy and we are very thankfull for that.

His Majesty King Juan Carlos is the best monarch. We admire and respect him.

Long live our King !!!!