May 9th, 2010

Kagan to be Supreme Court nominee, CNN confirms

[Update 11:06 p.m. ET] President Obama will select Solicitor General Elena Kagan as the Supreme Court nominee to replace the retiring John Paul Stevens, a legal source close to the process told CNN Sunday evening.

The nomination is expected to be announced Monday at 11 a.m. ET, another source familiar with the process said.

Kagan, 50, a New York native, was widely reported to be the frontrunner for the nomination. She was a finalist for the high court vacancy last year when Justice Sonia Sotomayor was selected to replace the retiring David Souter.

Kagan would be the third woman on the nine-justice bench if confirmed.

Read more about Kagan

[Posted 10:19 p.m. ET] NBC News is reporting President Obama will select Solicitor General Elena Kagan as the Supreme Court nominee to replace the retiring John Paul Stevens.

CNN is working to confirm the report.

Kagan is a former Harvard Law School dean and has never served as judge. As solicitor general, she is the Obama administration's top lawyer before the Supreme Court and has argued several high-profile cases before the justices since taking the job in spring 2009.

Kagan was a law clerk for Justice Thurgood Marshall and served as associate White House counsel in President Clinton's administration.

- CNN's John King and Bill Mears contributed to this report.

Post by:
Filed under: Elena Kagan • Supreme Court
  1. shivers

I really don't see how Kevin James is qualified to be on the Supreme Court...I mean I like him and all and he is really funny but.......oh what...that's not him..are you sure ....anyway...nevermind....actually I think I might prefer him to ANYONE Obama would pick!!

May 10, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
  2. Laquisha

SikofIt!1 #240 -– I am a black woman but am not upset that Obama didn't pick a black person. It would've been nice, but let's look at the numbers. 12.8% of Americans are black. 11.1% of the current Supreme Court is black - 1 out of 9 justices (Clarence Thomas). So we cannot say there's unfair representation on the court. Sorry, just stating the facts.

May 10, 2010 at 1:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. CAL1416

I can't believe how many shallow people there are that think their comments are needed on any blog. Honestly who cares if she is gay or overweight. If you don't have something to add to the conversation then don't assume we want to hear your trivial comments. Do something positive and get away from your computer.

May 10, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. sandra coston

I'm always happy when the right and the left are unhappy with Obama's choices because that usally means he got it just right.

May 10, 2010 at 3:12 pm | Report abuse |
  5. cm

I am SO sick of supposedly 'True Americans' who chose to comment without even knowing ANY of the facts! Don't you people have the time to look up correct information BEFORE you share your opinion? And, I suppose you vote too.......

May 10, 2010 at 6:22 pm | Report abuse |
  6. Harry

The U.S. is long overdue in attempting to join the civilized world.

Kagan is articulate, intelligent, and legally well versed. I don't really care is she is fat, ugly, or a lesbian. I care if she would be a clever and well-intentioned judge.

After the laughing stock Bush era incompetence and catastrophes, maybe there's hope for the U.S. after all.

Keep up the good work, Obama. It's time for us to leave the stone age.

May 11, 2010 at 2:34 am | Report abuse |
  7. homer

Is that Kevin James from "King of Queens" in drag...

May 11, 2010 at 1:42 pm | Report abuse |
  8. Eugene

I don't have a problem with her qulifications. I have a problem in this so called post racial America, there is still only one Black Justices. I don't care how liberal a white person is, you can't feel what I feel, and you don't get treated like we do when it comes to the courts or police.

May 11, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Report abuse |
  9. Andy

This isn't going to go over very well, however, can you get any uglier??? Geez, aint there any good looking women who can be on the Supreme Court???

May 11, 2010 at 11:06 pm | Report abuse |
  10. MICHAEL

Where have the great legal minds have gone?

Based on her record or lack of it, she is a weak leagal mind and is just another Obama crony infecting the government with leftist ideologies.

What a waste of a Supreme Court Chair.

May 13, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Report abuse |
  11. scott

wow.... how on earth is she soooooooooooooooooooooooo unattractive? At least EVERYONE else has a little "something" that makes them unique and thus attractive. She is just absolutely BEAT UP!

August 5, 2010 at 4:25 pm | Report abuse |