May 10th, 2010

Lena Horne dead at 92

Singer, dancer and actress Lena Horne died at New York-Presbyterian Hospital on Sunday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Horne was 92.

She was one of the first African-Americans to sign a long-term movie contract with a major Hollywood studio when she joined MGM in 1942.

"I think the black boy that cleaned the shoes and me were the only two black people except the maids who were there working for the stars," Horne said in a CNN interview. "And it was very lonely,  and I wasn't very happy."

Still, Horne said she was grateful that her World War II-era films - including "Cabin in the Sky" and "Stormy Weather" - were seen by black and white soldiers.

"But after I realized I would only go so far, I went on the stage," Horne said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz • U.S.
  1. Greycat

You were one of the greats Lena, rest in peace

May 10, 2010 at 1:53 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. renea125

May you RIP Lena Horne. You will be missed.

May 10, 2010 at 1:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. yeahisaidit

I agree with Kylo – I just read a 4 page story on this beautiful woman who CNN condensed to just a few paragraphs! Shame on you1 She deserved more than this! Rest in Peace Lady Lena, for great is your reward in heaven

May 10, 2010 at 1:54 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Eddie Ramirez

Rest in peace, Lena, you will be missed!!!!!!!!!!! You have done so much Black entertainment and progress....

May 10, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. BeBe

Thank you Lena. If was not you, would not be me.

May 10, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Scrappy CoCo

#7 Very ignorant fool... The best of all time.. Thanks for giving so much and opening up doors
    God bless you angel.

May 10, 2010 at 1:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. T. CONTRERAS

"The Horn" was a sophisticated, beautiful and gifted singer of the Great American Songbook. Whitney, Lady Gaga, Aguilera, Beyonce.....forget it.....none of these young female singers can touch her or her acomplishments. Lena was an original.
    Can anybody remember what seventies comedy show came up with the nickname "The Horn", for Lena?
    I sure hope CNN is going to give more coverage to this story. I beleive she was more revelant than Michael Jackson when it came to Civil Rights and American Jazz.

May 10, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. joi

Another Queen has left us, if you look up Regal in Webster you'll find Lena Horn!!! That voice, that face, the way she moved gives me chills to this day!!! She was a hell of a woman!!!!!!!!
    Queen Lena you sing for us from the heavens above!!! Because we need help.

May 10, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Kevin Prewitt

We will miss you Lena.

May 10, 2010 at 1:56 am | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Laney

God bless you, Lena. You were the first black glamour girl I remember seeing on the big screen during the heydey of the American movie musical. I am only 41, but your presence on the big screen and your efforts for justice for black Americans offscreen were and will continue to be your shining legacy. It was not just your beauty that made you a legend, it was your honesty and determination that sealed your legendary status. At a time when black actors and actresses could only play domestics, you blazed a trail that opened the doors for African American thespians to tell stories from all walks of life.

You also told Hollywood that you would neither deny or hide your African American heritage for the sake of stardom.

Thank you for being both bold and beautiful.

May God bless you.

May 10, 2010 at 1:57 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. News Watcher

Couldn't you take the time to google a photo of Ms. Horne
    for this article for those of us who are unfamiliar with what
    she looked like, or to spark that "oh yeah" remembrance thought?

May 10, 2010 at 1:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
  12. joi

@News Watcher, You said it !!!!!!

May 10, 2010 at 1:59 am | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Ernest Swick

Sandford and Son had a reacurring comedy bit where Fred Sanford would always proclaim his love and adoration for Lena Horne....Fred called her "The Horne".

May 10, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Boyhead

I have watched CNN coverage for an hour and not one mentione of Lena Horne. No, you are not the network for coverage. You just suck.

May 10, 2010 at 2:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Mrs. Bivens

A true legend... She's gone, but she will never be forgotten... R. I. P. Lena Horne. She paved the way for African-Americans in so many ways... You will be missed

May 10, 2010 at 2:01 am | Report abuse | Reply