May 10th, 2010

Lena Horne dead at 92

Singer, dancer and actress Lena Horne died at New York-Presbyterian Hospital on Sunday night, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Horne was 92.

She was one of the first African-Americans to sign a long-term movie contract with a major Hollywood studio when she joined MGM in 1942.

"I think the black boy that cleaned the shoes and me were the only two black people except the maids who were there working for the stars," Horne said in a CNN interview. "And it was very lonely,  and I wasn't very happy."

Still, Horne said she was grateful that her World War II-era films - including "Cabin in the Sky" and "Stormy Weather" - were seen by black and white soldiers.

"But after I realized I would only go so far, I went on the stage," Horne said.

Post by:
Filed under: Showbiz • U.S.
  1. Newshounddog

Rest in Peace, Ms. Horne and thank you for your contributions to the world!

May 10, 2010 at 3:15 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. Michael

Rest in peace sweet lady. You will be sorely missed and sweetly remembered for helping a people realize strength through oppression. Heaven now has one of the best people ever created.

May 10, 2010 at 3:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. james jones

IF I DIDN'T CARE , THOSE WERE FOXX'S WORDS FOR HER WHEN HE HELD HIS HAND OUT WHEN HE CROONED IT JUST MADE ME LAUGH. I KNOW THEY ARE BOTH SINGING IT NOW. AND GOD BLESS THE HEAVENLY MOMENT WITH ALL HEAVENLY AND EARTHLY PEOPLE APPLAUDING AND LAUGHING. THANK US ALL.

May 10, 2010 at 3:52 am | Report abuse | Reply
  4. Abhinav Dawar

Seems like I was just starting to get to know you, and now you are gone. Thank you for everything, you are an inspiration.

May 10, 2010 at 3:55 am | Report abuse | Reply
  5. Paulette Williams

I was grateful to have the chance to see you in films and love the ones you did make. You also paved the way for our black female stars today. You will truly be missed.

May 10, 2010 at 8:32 am | Report abuse | Reply
  6. troy vasquez

she was a beautiful women and will be missed even in this sad time my prayers go out to her family.

May 10, 2010 at 10:01 am | Report abuse | Reply
  7. William M. Danjon Dieudonné

Monday, May 10th. 2010
    Such a beautiful Lady and a very talented artist. LENA HORNE you will forever be loved and missed. MAY GOD WELCOME YOU AND GRANT YOU ETERNAL PEACE SWEET LADY!

William M. Danjon Dieudonné

May 10, 2010 at 10:33 am | Report abuse | Reply
  8. Buknoii

RIP Lean..she planned on watchign a fight this holiday.. the fight between Khan vs. Malignaggi at http://www.clickdavao.com/onlinetv

May 10, 2010 at 11:38 am | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Rev. Johnnie Shields

Ms. Horne I will truly miss you. You and I were born on the same day, June 30th. In my younger years we used to share bithday greetings. I'll be 72 on this June 30th, and you'll would have 93. Rest on my sweet princess.

May 10, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  10. Lori - Justice for Michael

RIP Lena Horne. You were a pioneer and a legend. You will be missed on this earth, but your accomplishments will live forever.

May 10, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  11. Keith Miller

What a beautiful woman she was, the voice, the charture. Thank you Ms. Horne for everything.

May 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  12. Laurel DenHartog

Sad that all that talent had to fight so hard to be recognized. I am old enough to remember people commenting that she was okay because she didn't "look black." What the heck difference did that make?!?!? She had a magnificent talent and would have had it had she looked like one of the witches from Macbeth! In black, white, green or plaid, her voice and her talent were exceptional. That she was beautiful to boot was just frosting on the cake. And whether she was purple, pink or polka-dot, she will be missed!!!!!!!

May 10, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  13. Christina Tait

Lena Horne you are an extraordinary talented woman. A legend and you will never be forgotten because your memory will live on forever. You will be missed. Rest in peace Lena Horne. We ♥ You.

May 10, 2010 at 4:06 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  14. Miashia

You were the greatest jazz singer ever and you will be greatly misses

May 10, 2010 at 5:02 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  15. Miashia

I agree with Christina you were a extraordinary talented and loved women. And will be greatly missed. And you will be in our hearts forever

May 10, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Report abuse | Reply