May 11th, 2010

Part of Times Square evacuated over package

A section of Times Square was evacuated briefly Tuesday evening due to a suspicious package, according to the New York Police Department.

The area was at 48th Street and Broadway, NYPD said.

Post by:
Filed under: New York • Times Square • U.S.
  1. LOL

ZOMG WE HAS A BOX OF WATER IN TIME SQUARE THE TERRORISTS ARE DROPPING HYDROGEN BOMBS IN NYC, SHUT IT DOWN!
    /Sarcasm

Great way to spend the taxpayers money.

May 11, 2010 at 10:37 pm | Report abuse |
  2. America...haha

Haha i laugh at this everytimee.. oh big whoop its a bomb. 20 people die out of what? 7 Mil New York has? big whoop. The world is already overpopulated.

May 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  3. 2much

terrorists are winning on this front when every other day some package shuts down a district like this. terrorists use pathfinders or vans not lunchbags or cakeboxes or plastic bags with water bottles nonesense. if you call in these things thinking its better to be safe than sorry then you should pay for the manpower wasted on this when the emergency services could be responding to an actual emergency. maybe whoever calls in these things are just looking to get off early from their boring, non-eventful jobs.

May 11, 2010 at 10:38 pm | Report abuse |
  4. DIno

With some many scares around, you would have thought there'd be a full time bomb squad in the area, therefore difusing the situations as quickly as possible, and getting life back to the norm. I'd rather be evacuated every time, better to be safe than sorry.

May 11, 2010 at 10:39 pm | Report abuse |
  5. Dante

I wouldn't be surprised if they try to pass some wild legislation in the next couple of months or so.....

May 11, 2010 at 10:40 pm | Report abuse |
  6. krehator

@Dante – Count on it. Crazy laws that hurt freedom more than protect it always come from cowards who whine for the myth of 100% safety.

May 11, 2010 at 10:47 pm | Report abuse |
  7. Matt

I just don't see how a city with the population of NYC can't figure out an actual bomb isn't going to be something you'll find, unless the bomber is incompetent. An actual explosive device will be well hidden and not right in front of your face.

May 11, 2010 at 10:50 pm | Report abuse |
  8. JS

@Dino, scares are a fact of life. Do you feel scared if you walk past a piece of garbage? It might be a bomb you know. What about that trashcan on the street? There could be a bomb in there too. That Prius driving by? Bomb. Solution? Having roving packs of bomb squads looking anywhere and everywhere for the alleged bomb? Evacuating areas due to crank callers? Great idea.

May 11, 2010 at 10:54 pm | Report abuse |
  9. larry

all it is all gov. garbage in that box ll get rid the gov.

May 11, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Report abuse |
  10. C. Boren

May 11, 2010 at 11:09 pm | Report abuse |
  11. Matt

" I'm scared. I pray this person is found and arrested. God has no sympathy for terrorists and neither shall we."

See bombs don't scare me. Extremists like this are what scare me.

May 11, 2010 at 11:10 pm | Report abuse |
  12. Thomas A.

It does get a bid old but things have to be checked out. I bet the police department isn't very happy either. Have patience they have to.

May 11, 2010 at 11:19 pm | Report abuse |
  13. rudy

As a new yorker for a better part of my whole life that lived through 9/11, I'd rather they stop constantly closing of block upon block of city street for all these false alarms

May 11, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  14. krehator

@Matt – Agreed. We have our own bunch of religious nutcases in house too. None of them are my allies.

May 11, 2010 at 11:27 pm | Report abuse |
  15. Mike

We are at war and because we are at war we must be careful id rather see people walking out of time square then being carried out

May 11, 2010 at 11:32 pm | Report abuse |