May 11th, 2010

Part of Times Square evacuated over package

A section of Times Square was evacuated briefly Tuesday evening due to a suspicious package, according to the New York Police Department.

The area was at 48th Street and Broadway, NYPD said.

Post by:
Filed under: New York • Times Square • U.S.
  1. soder72

it's not the security fault, why can't people keep hold of their belongings

May 11, 2010 at 11:50 pm | Report abuse |
  2. A

"I'm scared. I pray this person is found and arrested. God has no sympathy for terrorists and neither shall we."

And with this statement, you have just proven that the terrorists have won.

May 11, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  3. Dan

Im pretty sure the Simpsons did and episode about something similar to this. Homer leaves his bad in a train depot that is full of radiation and the Army wants to blow it up or some crap like that. When nothing was really harmful in it at all. I love America.

May 12, 2010 at 12:31 am | Report abuse |
  4. Tony

May 12, 2010 at 12:44 am | Report abuse |
  5. maturedguy

Ok
    U guys are like freaking out!
    Right now, if a fly passes over the WhiteHouse the Pentagon would probably scramble 2 Aircraft carriers!!

May 12, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  6. Little Red Hen

Does no one remember the 'package' that was left in Centennial Park at the Atlanta Olympic
    Games in 1996 when a black mother was killed?
    One can never be too careful.
    Remember that radiation, germs and viruses and some chemical weapons cannot be seen, felt, heard, smelled or tasted.
    If nothing else motivates you to stop these 'extreme' scenarios, then why not practice being 'green' and pick up your stuff?

May 12, 2010 at 12:45 am | Report abuse |
  7. Matt

@Little Red Hen: Over-reaction is just as dangerous, heck more dangerous, than lack of reaction.

May 12, 2010 at 12:53 am | Report abuse |
  8. Kendra

I read everyones comments complaining about Time Square being evacuated (again), but as a survivor of 9-11, I'm HAPPY they are evacuating. Better safe than sorry. You never realize how important these measures are until you lose someone to this foolish terrorist activity. It's not until then that you realize that this isn't a game.. it's not something to be taken lightly. STOP COMPLAINING. It could be YOUR LIFE that is being saved. So, consider it a drill, and be thankful that necessary precautions are being taken to keep New Yorkers safe!
    I couldn't take always being a target, so I moved away from the City. My family still lives there, though, and I'm happy that their safety is being considered. If all you're going to do is complain, then please.... LEAVE, but don't attempt to discredit the efforts to protect everyone.

May 12, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
    • Gio

BEST OF ANSWERED EVER !!! .........GOOD KENDRA !!!!!

May 22, 2010 at 9:35 am | Report abuse |
  9. DMAN

@MATT

I work at the Viacom building, everyday. This is a huge joke.

May 12, 2010 at 1:03 am | Report abuse |
  10. Matt

@Kendra: get over it.

May 12, 2010 at 1:04 am | Report abuse |
  11. L Hills

It's better to be safe than sorry. If lives are saved as a result of these frequent street closures, I'm all for it.

May 12, 2010 at 1:16 am | Report abuse |
  12. Matt

@L Hills: And what happens 3 or 4 months down the line when no one listens or cares because every time they do this nothing happens? My god we Americans are dense.

May 12, 2010 at 1:21 am | Report abuse |
  13. ProloPhoto

Is everyone here fcking serious with the "I'm tire of this happening" comments?

We don't live in a world where trust and the honor system exist anymore. We are at war, not a war I support or dont support, but a war, and during such times, we must take every percaution to keep ourselves safe. There was a car, filled to the brim with explosive materials that would've and could've taken many lives, and you want to sit here on the internet and complain about them checking another left package. Anything could be a package, anything can be a bomb. We no longer live in a time where bombs are visibly bombs, a man made his underwear a weapon, a shoe, a back pack, for christ sakes their making HUMANS, yes thats right, HUMAN BODIES into bombs in Iraq and we want to sit here and complain. The terrorists are no longer the enemies here, its people like Matt and JS who are breeding a new form of terrorism in the United States, they are creating pandora on Earth.

I'm guessing we're all some what educated, once again judging by some of the comments above, I'm guessing. I hope everyone here read the story the 'Boy Who Cried Wolf". Well at the end of the story, the wolf comes. Do we want to be unaware and not ready for when their is a wolf [bomb]. Please fellow Americans and fellow New Yorkers, get your head's out of your @$$'s and get real. I applaud the NYPD's effort to keep this country and city safe, by taking every necessary step and being on the highest alert possible.

May 12, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
    • Gio

100% AGREE......whit YOU ( bravo!)

May 22, 2010 at 9:43 am | Report abuse |
  14. Matt

@ProloPhoto: Kind of ironic you use "The boy who cried wolf" considering the fact the moral of that story is, don't cry something is happening when it isn't, like say evacuating Times Square for a bomb, because when it actually does happen no one will listen or believe you. One again, we Americans are so stupid. "Ooooo the world's not safe anymore." When has it ever been safe? The world will NEVER be safe, that is not the nature of it. Existence does not function on the rules of law and order, only on those of chaos. It always has and it always will. There will always be danger and there will always be death. There will always be folks who deserve to die and don't and those who deserve to live but won't. The answer never has been, nor will it ever be, to coat the world in a sheath of bubble wrap. Try living in the real world for once, rather than your little fantasy world where the government will protect you. They won't, they don't care. You're nothing more than an amount of money to be payed every April 15th to them. No, the only problem here is the simple fact for one day New Yorkers had to deal with something we're more than happy to do to the citizens of other countries and now the whole world is out to get them. They need to grow the hell up, grow a pair, and get on with their damn lives. I'm sorry something bad happened to you 9 years ago, but that's life. Either deal with it and move on, or move somewhere "safe" and whine about it there. You get no sympathy from me and all you do is continue to make me think maybe we need to be attacked a bit more often to remind ourselves we are not above the terror we unleash upon the world and that karma can, and always will, come back to kick you in the ass.

May 12, 2010 at 2:14 am | Report abuse |
  15. ProloPhoto

@Matt; My Mom always taught me better safe than sorry. Move else where, where do I move thats "safe"? Mexico is being ran by drug lords, Anything south of the equator is pretty much a third world country, europe is being bombed, has volcano's exploding, and god dont get me started on Asia or such. It seems the best thing for me to do would be to move to australia? Well guess what, I cant afford that, in fact I'd rather take the money it would cost me and donate it all to government funding to keep this country safe. You are a terrorist sir. You 'Matt', are a terrorist. Your terrorizing the poor people that read this story on CNN.com and make them feel fear? But than when someone calls you out on it, you say your trying to make a point. You are not only a terrorist yourself, but a hypocrate.

Yes in the story "Boy Who Crys Wolf" no one belives him in the end, but would you rather be evacuated from TSQ for 15 minutes, or would you rather them never call in a bomb or package check again and be blown to pink mist. We are not afraid, we are America and we will do what we must to keep our people and our land safe.

May 12, 2010 at 3:31 am | Report abuse |