May 11th, 2010

Part of Times Square evacuated over package

A section of Times Square was evacuated briefly Tuesday evening due to a suspicious package, according to the New York Police Department.

The area was at 48th Street and Broadway, NYPD said.

Post by:
Filed under: New York • Times Square • U.S.
  1. DisC

is so clear. they trying to make tension on am ppl. real terrorist living well in us... they calls Goverment. wake up America.
    911 didnt teach you anything?

May 12, 2010 at 4:25 am | Report abuse |
  2. ROB

WE HAVE TO REMAIN VIGILANT. ONE NEVER KNOWS SOMETHING LIKE THIS WILL BE REAL. TAKE THIS AS PRACTICE DRILLS SO WHEN THE REAL THING DOES HAPPEN, WE WILL HAVE SOME IDEA AS TO WHAT TO DO, WHERE TO GO, AND WHO WILL RESPOND AND WHAT THEIR REACTIONS SHOULD BE.

May 12, 2010 at 6:10 am | Report abuse |
  3. Jonathan

With all the security measures and fundamental loss of liberties since the 9/11 attacks, how is it even possible for these terrorist scares to even reach fruition. It seems to me that it has little to do with "terrorism" the way we've come to be told and more to do with lowering one's physical frequency by generating such fear in people. If there was truly a threat, than how can the government justify their so called security measures. I believe this is just a black op used to produce a fear among the public. Happy enlightened people are harder to control than those who remain in perpetual fear. Don't allow these "scares" control your perception, be cautious but don't allow the fear of probability keep you in a constant state of fear. The government wants us all to be fearful, because it furthers their agenda and nourishes them. Peace and Love to all without bias.

May 12, 2010 at 6:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. Iona

Is it a signal for America? Is someone testing America's vigilance???? !!!!
    Hopefully it is nothing!!!

May 12, 2010 at 7:58 am | Report abuse |
  5. Matt

@ProloPhoto: Oh I'm very much a terrorist, but that's not the reason. The country I call home is the reason. Why don't we ask the survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki? No? Maybe those who were in Dresden during the fire bombing? How about the citizens of Iraq? Pakistan? Afghanistan? Terrorism is everywhere. We just don't care as long as we're the one causing it. No, the real 'story' here is how New Yorkers are so afraid of their own shadows, and so self important they make a press release about it because obviously we all want to hear about them. Like I said, they're the 16 year old girl of American cities who isn't happy unless all attention is on them. Look at California, they have earthquakes on an almost daily basis, and some of those have been of such destruction they make 9/11 look like a picnic. But do they go running around like a chicken with their heads cut off every time the ground moves? No. They hunker down until it's over and then weather on like any intelligent group of people would. Ah... but not New Yorkers....

May 12, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse |
  6. malcolm

Those of us in Britain found a consensus about this during the nearly 15 years of the IRA campain. It was expressed best by a polotician who said "my father gave up his life in world war 2 to protect our way of life, I will not give up that way of life to save my life" in other words a consensus emerged between government and citisens that maintaining our way of life meant that some times, the terrorists would get through and people would die. The truth still was that you were much more likely to die being run down by a bus. Those who govern new york and those that live there need to find there own consensus otherwise they will destroy the way of life they want in an attempt to prevent the unpreventable. The thing is that those that goven need to learn to accept some risks and those that live there need not to scream when the risks leads to some outrage, if not then you will destroy the way of life and freedom that you are used to

May 12, 2010 at 9:06 am | Report abuse |
  7. Interesting

Da plane boss da plane... hahahahha

May 12, 2010 at 9:08 am | Report abuse |
  8. M

When there is a package with something life threatening in it and they don't do something- You're going to wish they had. Atleast law enforcement officials are reacting! Stop complaining about the measures in place to protect you. It may inconvenience you for 20 minutes or a day but think about how many people were inconvenienced when their fathers, mothers, brothers, sister, husbands, wives, and children were lost in 9-11. I have family in New York and thank god everyday that an attack is prevented!! Take a minute and think about more than just yourselves.

May 12, 2010 at 9:50 am | Report abuse |
  9. William

the nature of the beast. satan's servants don't sleep when it comes to causing chaos in the lives of others. NYC's finest must take every precaution if they hope to preserve lives and an economic growth. Downtown NY is a place that people from around the world hope to visit some day. I'm a native NYer and I love NY but I can't live there. Remain vigilant and diligent. Godspeed.

May 12, 2010 at 10:11 am | Report abuse |
  10. Daniel

NYPD must take action on an event like this, I see all the comments here that we take everything easy. Don't forget 9/11 my friends, if we keep our eyes pealed we'll be safe.
    Good bless everyone!

May 12, 2010 at 10:12 am | Report abuse |
  11. I Love NYC

Matt @ 5/11/10 10:18 – LOSER!!!!!!

May 12, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  12. I Love NYC

Matt @ 5/11/10 10:18 – JAG OFF!!!

May 12, 2010 at 10:40 am | Report abuse |
  13. Ismael Monfort

Photos of the package yesterday in Times Square. I was there when the evacuation.

May 12, 2010 at 10:42 am | Report abuse |
  14. I Hate Matt

Matt @ 5/11 10:21 pm – maybe it should be shoved up your hole first!

May 12, 2010 at 10:43 am | Report abuse |
  15. I Hate Matt

Hey Matt with all the nasty NYC comments: FUK YOU LOSER!!!

May 12, 2010 at 10:45 am | Report abuse |