May 13th, 2010

Thai protester shot, killed during violent clashes with police

An anti-government protester throws a rock at Thai riot police.

[Updated at 12:13 p.m.] An anti-government protester was shot and killed Thursday as a tense standoff continued on the streets of Bangkok.

Gunfire rang through the streets as the situation became increasingly volatile.

Earlier, the leader of the Red Shirt movement, Seh Daeng, was shot in the head while being interviewed, according to a journalist who witnessed the shooting. He was in critical condition.

iReport: Are you there? Send photos, videos

What are the Thai protests about?

Read full CNN.com story

[Updated at 10:50 a.m.] Video footage taken just after the shooting in Bangkok showed the leader of anti-government protests lying on the ground, dressed in camouflage, as frantic protesters attempted to move him and get help.

Seh Daeng of the Red Shirt protesters appears to be bleeding from a head wound in the video. Footage from the hospital showed medics covering Seh's face as he was brought in on a stretcher amid a throng of media.

Thai soldiers in riot gear patrol streets in Bangkok near the 'Red Shirt' anti-government camp.

[Updated at 9:40 a.m.] A leader of anti-government protests in Thailand was shot in the head while being interviewed at the demonstrations, according to Tom Fuller of the International Herald Tribune told CNN he was interviewing Seh at the time of the shooting.

[Updated at 9:26 a.m.] Witnesses said the gunshot appeared to come from a rooftop in a corner of Bangkok's Lumpini Park, where protesters have amassed.

While it was unknown whether Thailand's military or government was behind the shooting, the government has previously made it clear it would shoot at what it called armed terrorists.

[Updated at 9:01 a.m.] A leader of anti-government protests in Thailand was in critical condition Thursday after being shot in the chest, according to his guards. Seh Daeng of the Red Shirt protesters was hospitalized, the guards said. Other sources confirmed the shooting.

A renegade Thai general, Seh is one of the Red Shirts' most radical, hard-line leaders, said CNN's Dan Rivers. Other, more moderate leaders of the organization, who had insisted the protests were peaceful, had sought to distance themselves from him.

[Posted at 8:48 a.m.] Explosions and gunfire were heard Thursday near the site of anti-government protests in Bangkok, Thailand, and at least one protest leader was shot, according to guards with the Red Shirt protesters group.

The condition of Red Shirt leader Seh Daeng was unknown.

The Red Shirt guards said that grenades had landed in the protest area.

– CNN's Kocha Olarn contributed to this report.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as we get it.

Post by:
Filed under: Thailand
  1. Tom Feagans

CNN should be held accountable for their actions and ignorance. As an expat living very close to the "warzone" if you want to call it that, I saw real bimbs, real C4, real bullets, real chemical agents the Red Mob had. I saw real speeches by the Red mob to burn the city and Thailand, I listened to them speak about the king (several ) stating we do not need a king, his leaders are part of the problem. Passa Thai, Chai. The former Priminister called into the Mob, cheered them on and is alledged to have been financially backing the Mob. CNN look at the you tube videos

CNN Should do a better job of reporting and the stories should show the truth. Look at the bombs, real grenandes, real RPGS, real instructions from the Red Mob leaders to burn BANGKOK AND THAILAND. This was all there tro be found and CNN Dan Rivers and the CNN management ignored it. If I were Thailands King or Priminister, I would only give you one chance to get it rightr or I would bann you and SUE you. This is not like the CNN I knew. I live in Bangkok, not far from the real stories. This Mob was a bunch of Terrorists and so is the fomer priminister. Lets see if CNN gets that right, unlikely. The former priminister is playing a very deadly game now as Thais really see him for what he is now a Terrorist and he will be [rosecuted as such by the international court we hope. As for now, I would not give the Red Mob any aquisition as they became terrorists and used real weapons, not for defense, what crap. GET THE STORY RIGHT>>>>>>

May 23, 2010 at 4:06 am | Report abuse |
  2. yas yeo

Dan Rivers and Sarah Snider, if you can't make a REAL report of the real event, get out of Bangkok, NOW !! Just like the fugitive x pm Thugsin (this spelling suit him better). OUT NOW n never welcome again !!

May 23, 2010 at 11:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • emily

CNN reporters have absolutely no idea what exacly happened in Thailand. I Think they should at least find the facts from both sides, not just the red shirt. Another thing is that i don't know if your school tought you about the moral of media( especilly if you are one of the big and reliable,i guess, media if the world). As far as i realize the media should presents the fact with no sensational.
      For CNN, it is shame you have this kind of reprters in your organization.
      The world should know that the root of this violence came from the protesters themsleves. Saying that you fight for democracy was a stupid lie. Alomost everyone here inThailand know that you fight for one person (which is no longer human being ),Taksin. And when the protests leaders surrendered you got upset cause you did get pay. Then ,you burn the city. Burning your motherlad is ugly enough. Still you get into the shopping mall and stole things like mobile phone, jewelly etc. And what you have done to the hospital is worse. Closed the hospital, get in there with out permission then harmed and robbed the hospital officers. Lead to evacuation the eldery and serious pantients. From all above, how dare are you say you fight for democracy. Also how come CNN didn't report this. SHAME!

May 24, 2010 at 4:49 am | Report abuse |
  3. pa

I agree with Emily .. all of think that she said it's true ..

May 24, 2010 at 10:29 am | Report abuse |
  4. fresh-i

everyone have to understand that 80% of Thai people are poorin'...stravin'...i'm in midddle society...not poor/rich....i heard some yellow shirt very gladful when some RS was killed by...?...it's from my (ex)friend...(such as an idiot)....and when some soilder was kill by...?...the RS will be gladful...Who kill the RS and the soilder?...is every dead THAI people?why anyone asking for responsibility?....it's all of our responsibility(if you're Thai)...don't blame another one... think 'bout dead's family....money and belief can get back...but no one can't take the dead back from the hell or heaven

May 24, 2010 at 11:40 am | Report abuse |
  5. mbmb

I'm quite lazy to come in and share my view. However some comments by you YELLOW SHIRTs just made me laugh off my chair. "Raam ronanrong" said Thaksin has 200,000 million???????? Wahaha fufu . Sir, where did you get that number, please link me. Is it the one the Nation Channel trick the Arabian News to write faulty report (and later the Arabian News Editor admited that "SORRY IT WAS WRITTEN WRONGLY, UK DIDN'T FREEZE THAKSIN ASSET BUT JUST REVOKE HIS VISA" ??? Hahaha
    You Yellow Shirts have LIED for years, LIE to the Thai ppl and now you want to mislead Farang too?? Hahaa
    NICE JOKE DUDE.

May 24, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Report abuse |
  6. mbmb

Do you Farang know WHO ARE THESE THAI MANY YELLOW SHIRTS COMMENTING IN HERE???
    Let me tell you. These yellow shirts work for 2 Thai media giants name THE NATION and ASTV.

Why did these two become Yellow shirt? Because during the Thaksin Economic prime time where every business did well, these two media giants, on the other hand, went downward. The Nation built the new building and ASTV tried to expand as far as go buy some U.S. media company. They did beyond their financial limits and they paid for it. Look at how Thaksin business and other Thai's did so well develop this 2 grudge on Thaksin. Later on they found out that, hey I can't shine in conduction normal business here I WILL shine conducting business with dirty tactics. How these two did is to tie themselves to the Thai Palace. You know the rest of the story....

NOW YOU KNOW THE TRUTH why so many yellow shirts can type English and have easy access to the net?

Because those punks in ASTV and the Nation Channel works in front of computers most of the times.

SHHH.... Don't tell anybody.. OK?

Yellow shirts, I KNOW WHAT YOU DID THESE LAST THREE YEARS......

May 24, 2010 at 2:21 pm | Report abuse |
  7. mbmb

well well
    After I read this "EMILY" comment I decide to respond some more, cause her comment go beyond absurd.

First of all, I think you are a Thai. Don't gimme that "Emily" kinda name to mislead ppl y r a Farang, a THIRD PARTY POINT OF VIEW. Because in doing that you LIE to us. Here we are to FIND OUT THE TRUTH, NOT TO LIE..
    The reason why I believe y r a Thai is because I think you are a Yellow shirt. Only yello shirt call Thaksin "no longer human being". A foreigner wouldn't wanna convict somebody UNLESS IT'S HAS BEEN PROVEN.
    Only some Thai especially like you yello shirt who beleive in sth you want to, not sth that has been PROVEN.

Tell me something... What did Thaksin do, as a human, as a father, as a Prime Minister, that you think harm the Thai ppl?
    We will go on from there.. I'll be checking this again in a couple of days. How about that?

By the way, you accuse CNN reported one-sided. Well Miss, you know what? THEY REPORT WHAT THEY SAW, with VIdeo and pictures, and that's undeniable. WHY DON'T YOU GIVE US SOME PICS, OR VIDEO OF REDSHIRTS THROWING GRANADES, FIRING MACHINE GUNS, or SHOOTING DOWN SOME SOLDIERS??

How come none of you could film those redshirt actions you claim they did? The Thai media is with you. The millitary is with you. Sth happen to your digital cameras? :)

CNN just report WHAT THEY FILM. If you happen to have video, for your side as a story teller, JUST SHOW US.. Period. Don't go on about media report one side story. You know which media actually did that?? THE THAI MEDIA!

May 24, 2010 at 2:42 pm | Report abuse |
    • emily

First as you mentioned ----–> Don't gimme that "Emily" kinda name to mislead ppl y r a Farang, a THIRD PARTY POINT OF VIEW. Because in doing that you LIE to us. Here we are to FIND OUT THE TRUTH, NOT TO LIE..
      Well, I have to say you the name " emily" doesn't ,mean that i want to mislead that i am FARANG at al. I guess you have no idea that it is the name of my favorite cartoon caracter, that all. And it has nothing to do with lying. I f you said using English name id a lie so you a big fat liar too cause your name is in English as well. Please don;t attack other with such a stupid topic as you did.
      I f you sasy that i am a YELLOW SHIRT. Then I Have to say that I think you a RED SHIRT too.
      The reason i said Taksin is no longer human being is that he startes the root of problems and conflict in Thailand. Well H e didn't burn the city himself but he motivated the protesters to do so. In case to are going to say "NO , he didn't". Then, how do will you explain the video clips of Taksin also leaders said to the protesters that " If the government try to stop the protest..... BURN THE CITY. BURN IT ALL". ( i guess you will say the government made it up, right?). What makes me hink he is no longer human bering is that he betray and tread his homeland, the country he was borned and grew up. Even Bin Laden never do that. And Even Seh. Dang onece mentionned he will not going to stop until Taksin tell him to stop. HOW DO YOU EAPLAIN THAT????? What CNN did as i MENTIONED is they didn't report the fact from both sides.
      The pictue of protesters armed....... Well........ IT IS ALL OVER THAILAND NOW. Not just amed If you watch the news from other media beside PEOPLE CHANNEL..... you will see that ther is pictures evidence that men with a red shirt scarft thorwing Fire Bomb in to many places. Or you will say that it was FAKE RED SHIRT. Cause everytime it had an evidence that the RS comitted vilolence ...the leaders would say IT WAS DONE by THE FAKE RED SHIRT. Come on, this is why i think the real terrorist better that RS, at lease they responsible on what they did.
      What about the RED SHIRT trespass into the hospital and disturb the patient. I think this situation say it all and it was pictued , viideo and witness by lots of medias.
      The CNN repored on waht the film is true BUT it was not from evey angle.

May 24, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Report abuse |
    • emily

One moret thing , I never say that the protesters shot the soldier or the solider shot the protesters .What I said is that what the protesters did afer the leader surreder like burned th city and when they got into the hospital was unacceptable. Please dont twisted it.

May 25, 2010 at 12:03 am | Report abuse |
    • tandyca

Thanks mbmb...
      I guess you are right...cnn not to be blamed anyway. Be more responsible and open minded. Cheer up ...mbmb.

May 25, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Report abuse |
  8. nest

Dan Rivers,please go out of Thailand,you are the stupid be a `reporter`Or maybe your a `friend` of Thaksin?Thailand is a beautifull country,,but arrogant people like you better go back to their own country,there is a lot of work for you.

May 24, 2010 at 8:12 pm | Report abuse |
  9. A man who loves Thailand

I think Rivers is a stupid,arrogant journalist, CNN If you try to give `real` news,please ,call him back

May 24, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Report abuse |
  10. alisco20

O.K. go ahead CNN, the majority of Thai people agree with your reporters who have seen the real situation in Thaland.

May 24, 2010 at 9:25 pm | Report abuse |
  11. fresh-i

...stop blamin' another one...

May 24, 2010 at 11:56 pm | Report abuse |
  12. pom

You 're understand Thai. Now, You can shut up.

May 24, 2010 at 11:59 pm | Report abuse |
  13. MBMB

Emily (as from Cartoon character, huh, not a lie, but isnt' it misleading, how cute!@)
    My my my

I skim through your post and I like to quickly respond by asking you this.
    First of all, YES I CONSIDER MYSELF A REDSHIRT. And I see nothing wrong with that. And you don't have to tell me your color... No need.

My question is, Did Thaksin really say "If the government try to stop the protest..... BURN THE CITY. BURN IT ALL".?
    I don't think he said that. But hey I might be wrong. So, How bout we go find out the TRUTH here. I like TRUTH than lie.

If he really did say that exact sentence, I will officially apologize here and never post another comment here again.
    But if he didn't actually say that sentence, you should do the same thing.

Fair enough?

What the hell? I don't want to bar you from here anyway (cause i'm not a narrow-minded yellow shirt heehee). All I need is FOR YOU TO GO GET THE TRUTH yourself and hopefully understand Thaksin just a tiny bit better. Look at what he got from Thailand after his hard difficult work as the Thai P.M.

Anyway, Now could you go get the link of the clip and post here, PLEASE?

May 25, 2010 at 2:47 am | Report abuse |
  14. MBMB

Wahhaha.. I just go back to read your post again about your name and my name??!!

Your login's is EMILY and my log in is MBMB

And you call me bit fat liar who want to mislead ppl i'm a foreigner even tough I'm actually Thai?

Come on.. Anybody here think MBMB is a FARANG NAME?? GOSHHH you ppl r unbelievable.

MBMB is a short for something and it doesn't lead to foreigner name at all. Let's see MumbaMumba? Fufu.
    But EMILY??? Come on Miss. *SIGH SIGH*

May 25, 2010 at 2:57 am | Report abuse |
  15. MBMB

Here is something for you American and the rest of the world today. Today I present you the DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RED SHIRTS AND YELLOW SHIRTS.

-Yellow shirts were formed back then to OVERTHROW the majority-elected government (that came by a land-slide victory) (and it somehow succeeded by the Junta's coup.)
    -Red shirts were formed to UNDONE that, or to bring back that majority-elected government.
    -If there were no Yellow shirts then, there'll be no red shirts now.

-Yellow shirts then (2 years ago) called for PM to resign and government be reformed switching side (for Abisit's party to become leading party)
    -Red shirts now is merely calling for PM to dissovle the lower house and for a new election, saying that the current government NOT coming by way of democracy.

-Yellow shirts then, said if the PM then (Thaksin's ally) dissolve the parliament and later win the election and form the government again, they will STILL come out to protest against the elected government.
    -Red shirts now is saying if the PM now (abisit) dissolve the parliament and later win the election and form the government again, they will make on further movement, and accepting the majority votes.

-Red shirts believe the majority is with them, and that's why they only want a new election.
    -Yellow shirts believe the majority is NOT with them; that's why they DO NOT WANT an election now.

-Red shirts want Democracy and what they mean by that is that whose party got most ppl vote gets to form the government.
    -Yellow shirts want a so-called "Thai-style Democracy" where you devalue rural people votes (by saying the north and the north-eastern ppl are "BRIBED") and pay attention to BKK votes, and opt for party who claim to "protect the Palace, protect the king" and with the Thai Army's support.

-The Yellow shirts wanted the government to be APPOINTED by the Royal Palace (or for the Palace and the Army to somehow have absolute control over the government), while the Red shirts want the government to be ELECTED by the people, thus keeping the Palance away from Politics.

-When the Yellow shirts seize the Thai's international airport 2 years ago, the Thai Army refused to take any order from the government (Thaksin's ally) to disperse the Yellow shirt mob (saying that the matter is of politics and should be settle by way of politics). To make the matter worse, the army themselves got their men going with the mob (seizing the airports) disguised in Yellow shirts.
    -When the red shirts seize Ratchaprasong area, this very same Thai Army take order from this government (Abisith's ally) to disperse the red shirts.

-Back then When Yellow shirts surrounded the Thai's Parliament, the Government then use POLICE force to disperse the mob to give way to MPs who stuck in the parliament. The police force disperse the yellow shirt mob DURING THE DAY LIGHT, with tear gas only. Two of yellow shirts died, one by his own car-bomb attempt, the other by carrying small bombs that explode in chaos while the police fired tear gas. Later the Yellow shirts accuse Police's made-in-China tear gas killed their 2 protestors. None of the yellow shirts were SHOT by real, or even rubber bullets.
    -Just now When the red shirts occupied Ratchaprasong area, this current Government REFUSED to use POLICE force to disperse the mob, saying the Police is WITH the Redshirts; therefore the Army soldiers were deployed. The Army force dispersed the red shirt mob even during in evening and at night, with live bullets in operation. More than 60 of the red shirts died, most of all SHOT in the head or neck.

Lastly, Yellow shirt leaders, who lead in seizing the International Airport (more than a year before the redshirt seize Ratchaprasong), still walk free, as lawsuits NOT YET FILED AGAINST THEM, while all the red shirt leaders are now already in Jail. How nice? Huh

That's not all, but just to give you roughly some idea of The DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RED SHIRTS AND YELLOW SHIRTS.... When you talk to a Yellow shirt, try to confront them with this. See if they can't deny ANY of these.

J U S T I C E is in the heart of every man. (Try the line as in "From a distance/ Bette midler")

May 25, 2010 at 3:06 am | Report abuse |
    • AntiReds

Not that line#14 was the only mistake you have made. On purpose, you didnt add the fact at the very beginning that why Yellows wanted to overthrow whatever you named by "the majority-elected government" or either why the goverment formed by Thaksins nominated parties has always been banned by the Supreme's court. Shame on you! We all know that they bought everything, not only votes but also other parties to leave the elections. Even more impressive that he could afford the people named by "Red shirts" to saccrifice for him while he was shopping around in France with his familiy. And where were you when the court accused your daddy of tax evasion and corruptions. Maybe you took a vacay on Mar when the Supreme Court seized 46 billion baht of his frozen assets, after finding him guilty of abnormal wealth? I dont know why you so proud of bragging around with this lame lies. Hey, dude, seriously, dont tell anybody that you are Thai if you can still smile when your home is burning down. You are not good enough to be.

May 25, 2010 at 7:25 am | Report abuse |
    • tandyca

I like what you expressed...you are totally right about the situation in Thailand...cheer ..keep it up..tell me more ok.

May 25, 2010 at 8:56 am | Report abuse |