May 13th, 2010

Thai protester shot, killed during violent clashes with police

An anti-government protester throws a rock at Thai riot police.

[Updated at 12:13 p.m.] An anti-government protester was shot and killed Thursday as a tense standoff continued on the streets of Bangkok.

Gunfire rang through the streets as the situation became increasingly volatile.

Earlier, the leader of the Red Shirt movement, Seh Daeng, was shot in the head while being interviewed, according to a journalist who witnessed the shooting. He was in critical condition.

iReport: Are you there? Send photos, videos

What are the Thai protests about?

Read full CNN.com story

[Updated at 10:50 a.m.] Video footage taken just after the shooting in Bangkok showed the leader of anti-government protests lying on the ground, dressed in camouflage, as frantic protesters attempted to move him and get help.

Seh Daeng of the Red Shirt protesters appears to be bleeding from a head wound in the video. Footage from the hospital showed medics covering Seh's face as he was brought in on a stretcher amid a throng of media.

Thai soldiers in riot gear patrol streets in Bangkok near the 'Red Shirt' anti-government camp.

[Updated at 9:40 a.m.] A leader of anti-government protests in Thailand was shot in the head while being interviewed at the demonstrations, according to Tom Fuller of the International Herald Tribune told CNN he was interviewing Seh at the time of the shooting.

[Updated at 9:26 a.m.] Witnesses said the gunshot appeared to come from a rooftop in a corner of Bangkok's Lumpini Park, where protesters have amassed.

While it was unknown whether Thailand's military or government was behind the shooting, the government has previously made it clear it would shoot at what it called armed terrorists.

[Updated at 9:01 a.m.] A leader of anti-government protests in Thailand was in critical condition Thursday after being shot in the chest, according to his guards. Seh Daeng of the Red Shirt protesters was hospitalized, the guards said. Other sources confirmed the shooting.

A renegade Thai general, Seh is one of the Red Shirts' most radical, hard-line leaders, said CNN's Dan Rivers. Other, more moderate leaders of the organization, who had insisted the protests were peaceful, had sought to distance themselves from him.

[Posted at 8:48 a.m.] Explosions and gunfire were heard Thursday near the site of anti-government protests in Bangkok, Thailand, and at least one protest leader was shot, according to guards with the Red Shirt protesters group.

The condition of Red Shirt leader Seh Daeng was unknown.

The Red Shirt guards said that grenades had landed in the protest area.

– CNN's Kocha Olarn contributed to this report.

This story is developing. We'll bring you the latest information as we get it.

Post by:
Filed under: Thailand
  1. MBMB

Whoops! My typo! Line#14 of above post : The red shirts will make NO further movement, not make ON further movement. Can WM edit that Please?

May 25, 2010 at 3:27 am | Report abuse | Reply
  2. tandyca

I do not see the change since I am waiting to see the Real Thai Justice of the People who shut down the Thai International Airport and the Thai Government House to be charged to Thai Custody. Unfortunately, I could see the unfair politic system is running right there and many cases has been totally ignored.
    I am not talking about Mr.Thaksin but I am talking about the Real Justice system in Thailand...How could they have been ignored such cases. I am not anyone supporter but I am looking for the Real Justice system in Thailand.
    If Mr.Apisit had done of what he promised ....to RE-UNITED THAI PEOPLE....these would never have been happened ...the day of disaster of Bangkok. I hate what I had seen on abusing powers of both side.
    I think if each of both side never stop talking ...blaming and hunting down each others...this matter will never be ended. Ask ourselves or yourself ....if you have ever done anything for country ...playing an important role for country...or learn how to grow and have appreciation over what he or she had done for us....in good deed ...Ok....Don't just to blame someone. We may be the different colourof shirts but we really have the same colour of RED BLOOD, don't we? Please stop fighting and hunting each others since we have a plan of ...Re-United. If the red protestors were terrorists , how about the yellow protestors who shut down the Thai International Airport and the Thai Government House for almost 6 months?.....What that are supposed to be?....Heros.....?

May 25, 2010 at 8:00 am | Report abuse | Reply
  3. alisco20

Many many thanks to MBMB and some comments. Because most of the rural low income people have few chances to tell the world what they are thinking of. Acctually many of them know and expect to get from Democracy. Free speech, free eletion, free elected government with no double standard etc. But do you believe that many Thai elites ( Actually their jackals ) and Yellow Shirt leader's followers are trying to make foreigners to believe that Thailand is under the King and then the government and Prime minister must get the full support from the people. The truth is already welknown by outsiders even they know better since they can have informations from the free press like CNN, BBC, Reuter etc. These people keep telling that the terrorists in the Red Shirt protester group shot the protesters. Really nobody can explain if the protesters armed many weapons, why very few soldiers got killed. These people still think our Thai nation was in 1960. when people had few chances to get informations from the free press.

May 25, 2010 at 10:58 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • mbmb

Thanks alisco20. However looks like I got banned from posting even though I still got tons to tell the world about. Any idea what happens?

May 25, 2010 at 12:46 pm | Report abuse |
    • tandyca

hI..alisco20...
      Thanks for what you posted up above MBMB...you are right....stay forwards.

May 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm | Report abuse |
    • tandyca

thanks alisco20 and mbmb...you both are totally right. I could have felt that...you both have shown respects to others by expressing your true words on cnn blogs but some of people could not fact the truth so just criticized unresonably. Please stay forwards as you have all your right to express how you actually have felt towards such societies. please do not block mbmb .....

May 25, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Report abuse |
  4. mbmb

test how come i can't post

May 25, 2010 at 12:20 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  5. mbmb

Why Mr.Blogger won't let me post more than a single line? Don't u all wanna know the Truth of the Thai crisis? Has my post become too dangerous for somebody or is the truth too much to swollow? Please review my post again (I already post 3-4 times) and let it shown here. Thanks.

May 25, 2010 at 12:29 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  6. Thaipeople

A great reporter should report fact from all dimensions, if you do not have enough understanding, not do your homework enough please do not report anything about my mother land. I doubt in the quality of your report and how impartial does your reporter -DAN

May 25, 2010 at 12:49 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  7. mbmb

jesus i give up, Mr.Admin. I just wanted to respond to AntiReds, so ppl won't just take what he said for granted without a debate (and his is SO debatable). Now you let me down without a fight. How mean man.. It's a shame ppl just too lazy to find out the truth, cause lies just might make lives easier. Bye then..

May 25, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  8. tandyca

HI..MBMB..mbmb....
    PLS DO NOT GIVE UP YOUR HEART FOR THE TRUTH OF BANGKOK. WHAT YOU HAD EXPRESSED ...IT IS REAL TRUE OF ALL THE FACT. KEEP IT UP...FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAD DONE THE WRONG DOING AND BEING BACK UP BY UNFAIR POLOLITIC SYSTEM. I HAVE BEEN WAITING TO SEE...THOSE YELLOW MOBS LEADERS AND THOSE PEOPLE WHO SHUT DOWN THE THAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AND THE THAI GOVERNMENT HOUSE IN BANGKOK THAILAND. I DO NOT SEE ANY CHANGE SINCE THEY DO NOT REALLY GO FOR RE-UNITED PLAN BUT COMING UP WITH ALL REVANGEFUL HEART OF THOSE PEOPLE BY HUNTING DOWN ALL THOSE RED SHIRTS PEOPLE. STAY PUSH WITH YOUR THOUGHT...MBMB.

May 25, 2010 at 7:09 pm | Report abuse | Reply
  9. Kimkui

I live in Bangkok since i was born, at least i know what's happened here. Look at CNN report, it's totally another story and i do upset. How can i trust on CNN report for other countries situation, which i was not there ?

May 26, 2010 at 12:06 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • tandyca

I could not see the weak point of any mistake of cnn...which part of the news about Bangkok..please be kindly tell me...thanks. I am no color but I have been following up with cnn and I have felt so much appreciated over all those new about Bangkok. cheer ! ok

May 26, 2010 at 1:45 am | Report abuse |
  10. Takinovative

Did any one here talked to the innosent protestors? How did they feel? Why did they come to Rachprasong? What's demo' meaning to him?

Dan, did you ask all the aboves question? Dan Dan Dan
    where are you?

May 26, 2010 at 4:13 am | Report abuse | Reply
  11. fool Dan tiver

CNN is just a group of writer who don't care about what is true or what is actually happened. This gang do it onkly for money from Lobbyist. That is the mask of jewish entreprene who kick away its founder, Ted Turner, merely because he is not a pro-Jewish.
    The news reported from IraQ, from Palestine and either from Thailand are full of bias and prejudice.
    I never trust info from this gang for years. DOn't stop fooling people na Cannibal News Network.

May 26, 2010 at 4:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • tandyca

LoL..yah..he looked like an idiot actually.

May 26, 2010 at 7:51 pm | Report abuse |
  12. MBMB

tandyca,
    you got email? If I send my respond to u and u post for me it might work? I've no idea why my comment was barred. I revised it down several times to mere facts, no emotion, all polite. Is there something bugging or somebody bothering you, moderator? Isn't there the American pride of U.S. Journalist like Denzel Washington in the movie Pelican Brief? Or that was just a movie? (My.. talking about that movie, this situation in Thailand partly reminds me of it. The Truth is too big nobody can handle. Everybody who read the Brief end up dead.)

THEY WANT BALLOTS BUT THEY GOT BULLETS.

May 26, 2010 at 4:34 am | Report abuse | Reply
    • tandyca

MBMB,
      I have actually got your point and understand your view towards Thailand. I do respect your view very much as it sounded true and nothing to be hidden for the incident that had happened in Thailand.
      I won't simply criticize anyone either ...either you I know...you are trying to tell everyone all the real fact but I do understand that some of people may not like such comment against the Thai Government at the moment as they have their own supporters too.
      I did post your comment somewhere of my website in order to share to all people whom interested to know more about it...but depend how the rest of the people think as we can judge no one.
      Stay in touch...
      tandyca_babygirl@yahoo.com

May 26, 2010 at 7:38 pm | Report abuse |
  13. Sid Richardson

CNN is reporting with favor to the Red Shirts. What about the Thai Army men who have been put in danger by the crazy Reds. We, who reside in Thailand know who caused and financed these problems. Just today I helped a Thai Boy, aged 16. He worked so hard to do well in Royal Conservatory Auditions for Instrumental Music. Now his audition schedule is ruined. Judges involved are not able to visit Thailand due to the problems here. Do the Reds care? No. What about all the hard working Thai people in Bangkok who can't send money home because their work place no longer exists? CNN, you are covering this with bias. I am retired in beautiful Thailand, but since I like to see the news in a better light I now watch BBC. Must CNN bore us with the same commercials over and over, and over? There are many Ex-Pats here who are completely turned off by CNN. Maybe you need to wake up.
    SR

May 26, 2010 at 8:21 am | Report abuse | Reply
  14. 3nn

Well, suppose some American group together and try to burn the White house. What the US will act ?

May 26, 2010 at 9:29 am | Report abuse | Reply
  15. mbmb

Mr.Moderator. It is OK hat you ban my lenghtly reply to 3nn. However at least Please Read my reply yourself, consider it as a beg from another man.

Even if only 1 man like yourself has a chance to read that reply (very long) carefully without prejudice, my effort won't go unseen. The writing is very long and may be difficult to understand since my writing is not that good. However IT IS VERY IMPORTANT as it kinda sum up what happen in Thailand for the last 4 years. Thanks a bunch.

May 26, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Report abuse | Reply